Thunderbolt Restart Duration - LONG!

o2bnclemson

Nov 30, 2009
Visit site
It takes my T-bolt almost 10 minutes to fully restart - certainly more than five minutes. Is this normal or could something be causing it to lag? It's been this way as long as I can remember it....

johnriii

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
up until we got the latest update, I would get a random reboot maybe once every two weeks, now I can count on it at least three times a week. usually 5-6 minutes max for me to completely reboot/restart.

o2bnclemson

Nov 30, 2009
Visit site
I've actually been getting far fewer random reboots since the latest update. It just takes forever for it to reboot when I do restart it or it restarts itself. I restart mine every morning as well while I get ready for work, but it has crashed on me once, maybe twice, since the update.

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
It takes my T-bolt almost 10 minutes to fully restart - certainly more than five minutes. Is this normal or could something be causing it to lag? It's been this way as long as I can remember it....

That does sound way too long. It should normally only take a couple minutes to boot to the lock screen (mine is about 1.5 minutes). You could try booting up with the SD card removed to make sure it's not causing a problem. Second would be a master (factory) reset to get things back to a clean state. If still a problem, you can try flashing the latest official RUU (see link below) to re-install the operating system. Otherwise, if all else fails, sounds like you may have a hardware problem and would have to contact Verizon for a replacement.

[Update: New Radio, Too] Exclusive Download: Build 2.11.605.19 For The HTC Thunderbolt - No, It's Not ICS (But It Does Fix Some Things)

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
How many apps do you guys have installed, especially ones that automatically start at boot? That could play into the boot time.

Myself, I only have a dozen total apps with only two that auto start (not including the pre-installed bloatware apps) and boot up from the first white HTC screen to the lock screen is right around 90 seconds (timed it with a stop watch).

ToddL

May 7, 2011
Visit site
Having come from a Blackberry, I am desensitized to slow boot times. My TB reboots lightning fast, even at 3-4 minutes.

defcon999

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Have you enabled fastboot? Go to Settings, then power, then check fastboot.

+1

WIth the FASTBOOT on, it should take under a minute from POWER off to homescreen.

Keep in mind, that if you do a POWER off afterwards and want to go into RECOVERY...you will have to turn off the FASTBOOT....I learned the hard way....and frustrating way.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
Fastboot eats the battery and not recommended. You want the phone to cycle thru

Sent from my Thunderbolt using Tapatalk

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
I don't recommend using fast boot. Like I mentioned before its important to let the device cycl:pe thru. Its a mini computer. Not good to use fast boot. But your choice.

ggrr8t

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
I don't recommend using fast boot. Like I mentioned before its important to let the device cycl:pe thru. Its a mini computer. Not good to use fast boot. But your choice.

Can you be more specific and elaborate? I always use fastboot. All my apps work. Only problem I ever had was lost data (only) able to make calls unless using wifi. Eventually did factory reset.
Image sure I am at %100 battery at bedtime. Wake up at approximately same in morning. I do get full boot upon swapping battery twice a week.

bjboucher

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
Have you enabled fastboot? Go to Settings, then power, then check fastboot.

Fastboot wouldn't speed up a restart anyway. It only speeds up when you select shutdown. If the phone does a full reboot/restart, it bypasses the fastboot. Unless I'm remembering wrong, been a while since I used it.

umpirerob

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Mine takes forever as well. Not only that, but a reboot chews through my battery like crazy. I've seen 10% drops just from a reboot.

Sent from my HTC Mecha using Tapatalk 2.

o2bnclemson

Nov 30, 2009
Visit site
I have Fastboot and it's on. No good. I do have a lot of apps installed - but am I not supposed to be able to?? Kind of defeats the purpose if all I have are ten or so apps. Is there an easy/blanket way to determine which ones auto-start at boot?

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
I have Fastboot and it's on. No good. I do have a lot of apps installed - but am I not supposed to be able to?? Kind of defeats the purpose if all I have are ten or so apps. Is there an easy/blanket way to determine which ones auto-start at boot?

It's similar to the computer world, the more software you install, especially ones that auto-start, the more of a potential performance hit you're going to get. Myself, I highly limit installed software on my PC's and phone to keep them lean and mean and maximize performance, not to mention in the case of the PC's in particular keep their attack surface small (less potential software vulnerabilities to exploit).

Anyway, here are a few apps that will tell you what apps auto-start and give you the option to stop them from doing so (usually requires root access though):

Jerry recommended this one a while back and one I'm seriously looking at to stop a few apps that auto start:
Android Quick App: Autostarts | Android Central
Autostarts
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e....elsdoerfer.android.autostarts&token=ugWFuhGt

Startup Manager
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ils?id=imoblife.startupmanager&token=iaplwxYC

Startup Auditor Free
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...raNovus.app.StartupAuditorFree&token=TSo_wvXw

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roshanchoudhary