ThunderBolt to Galaxy S3, anyone?

Wookie13

Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
I went with the preorder of the SGS III last week too. Solely for the reason of having a subsidized upgrade of the best available phone on Big Red and keeping my unlimited data. I really wanted to stick with HTC, but my T-Bolt is getting too funny at times too, getting burning hot, and without using it getting about 4 hours out of my battery just isn't cutting it any more. Still going to miss it though, but I've got it as a fall back still if I don't like the Sammy.

d1ez3

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
Read the cnet review. Maximum screen brightness of GS3 is very, very dim. They show pics compared to other phones. Totally useless in a bright environment imo.

not sure where you got this info, but if anything the max brightness of the thunderbolt sucks, I can't see the screen in my car dock

PJnc284

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
not sure where you got this info, but if anything the max brightness of the thunderbolt sucks, I can't see the screen in my car dock

I've yet to find a phone that impresses me in direct sunlight. I've had the OG Droid, Fascinate and now the Thunderbolt and they have all been only "ok".

rexxman

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
pre-ordered the s3 on the 27th. love my bolt. couldn't pass up subsidized price and unlimited data combo. if sammy doesn't quickly delight, hello again old friend. happy with my decision.

TBoltJ

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Whenever an app has an update I always look at the reviews and for nearly every app its the Samsung Galaxy's owners that are complaining nothing works over and over again. This has not left a good impression on me (not that my TB has either LOL).

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Whenever an app has an update I always look at the reviews and for nearly every app its the Samsung Galaxy's owners that are complaining nothing works over and over again. This has not left a good impression on me (not that my TB has either LOL).

i wouldn't have a doubt that Samsung Galaxy owners have problems with apps...the phone is probably 3 years old and has 128mb ram.

md28117

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
I have another year, by the time I'm do there will be a whole new line of phones. But I do like the SGIII alot.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Android Central Forums

SamOliver

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
I think it would be a good idea to wait until this holiday season to get a new phone. There's always gonna be something newer and better around the corner, but with possibly multiple Nexus devices, the Note 2, Windows Phone 8, BB10, and iPhone 5 all coming out around this time, it seems like this would be the optimal time to pull the trigger. I can't remember so many highly anticipated phones ever coming out so close to each other, it will be interesting to see what each one brings to the table.

jaebberwock

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
The GS3 should be in on Monday. I can't wait. I don't think I will ever buy another HTC phone again after the Thunderbolt. They still haven't learned their lesson on battery capacity, their phones usually all look very similar, and, while not a big deal to some, I think it is absolutely ridiculous that they decide to save battery life by only letting the notification light go off for 5 minutes before turning off, not to mention putting it in the speaker grill.

It is a solidly built handset, I'll give it that though but battery life is paramount. Little software tricks to save battery life just doesn't do it for me. Like with cars, there's no replacement for displacement.

wolf howl

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
The GS3 should be in on Monday. I can't wait. I don't think I will ever buy another HTC phone again after the Thunderbolt. They still haven't learned their lesson on battery capacity, their phones usually all look very similar, and, while not a big deal to some, I think it is absolutely ridiculous that they decide to save battery life by only letting the notification light go off for 5 minutes before turning off, not to mention putting it in the speaker grill.

It is a solidly built handset, I'll give it that though but battery life is paramount. Little software tricks to save battery life just doesn't do it for me. Like with cars, there's no replacement for displacement.

Do you have the Rezound battery in your Bolt? The stock battery sucks for the tbolt but with the rezound in there I'm pretty pleased with battery life now.

jaebberwock

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
Do you have the Rezound battery in your Bolt? The stock battery sucks for the tbolt but with the rezound in there I'm pretty pleased with battery life now.

No, but I did get the ugly extended battery. I could deal with the looks and weight but it was just way too creaky for me. Every time I held the phone the sides would squeak. Didn't think I'd mind but I did. I've just been too close to an upgrade and have been waiting to dump this phone to invest in another battery. S3 comes in on Wednesday, can't wait.

robrecht

Pretty good member
Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
I think it would be a good idea to wait until this holiday season to get a new phone. There's always gonna be something newer and better around the corner, but with possibly multiple Nexus devices, the Note 2, Windows Phone 8, BB10, and iPhone 5 all coming out around this time, it seems like this would be the optimal time to pull the trigger. I can't remember so many highly anticipated phones ever coming out so close to each other, it will be interesting to see what each one brings to the table.
Yeah, I initially wanted to wait for something with an even bigger screen like the Note, but did not want to pay full price so I decided to keep my unlimited data and get a new phone sooner.

Mine arrives tomorrow, woo hoo, new phone!

DaRkL3AD3R

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
My 2 pennies:

If you value screen quality greatly, avoid this phone.

If screen quality isn't that big of a deal to you, and you're still holding the worst phone ever conceived in your hands still, you're doing it wrong. Promptly toss this thing into the ocean and activate your brand spankin' new GS3 and enjoy.

Unfortunately for me screen quality is a huge issue and Pentile is a no-no for me. In the future however when a Samsung phone hits the Verizon market and has Super AMOLED Plus HD, well I'm gonna jump on that thing in a heartbeat at full phone price. Never renewing my Verizon contract again for life, so that means $650 phone price tags for the rest of my foreseeable future :O

But being seriously OCD I can't give up my unlimited data. You can't have it Verizon.

TankMech

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
I just got my wife the gs3 and my god what a difference in weight! I'm not due for upgrade till April so I gotta wait, but so far this gs3 is amazing. It is a bit wider and taller with way better screen, but the thinness and weight are night and day. Ics is nice and smooth so I hope soon the TB will get that upgrade so I can feel not so left out while my wife gets the good stuff.

anon(3092520)

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
My 2 pennies:

If you value screen quality greatly, avoid this phone.

If screen quality isn't that big of a deal to you, and you're still holding the worst phone ever conceived in your hands still, you're doing it wrong. Promptly toss this thing into the ocean and activate your brand spankin' new GS3 and enjoy.

Unfortunately for me screen quality is a huge issue and Pentile is a no-no for me. In the future however when a Samsung phone hits the Verizon market and has Super AMOLED Plus HD, well I'm gonna jump on that thing in a heartbeat at full phone price.

The screen on the Galaxy S3 is awesome.

Metups

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
Yep, I just upgraded from my tbolt to the S3 and am loving it. Tbolt is now being used as an alarm clock and to play Pandora radio.:D

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay