Phone won't boot up. Please help me.

Jul 4, 2012
Visit site
Alright. Let me explain my situation here. A few days ago, my phone got stuck in a 'boot loop'. I searched and searched for answers that made sense to me, but suddenly my phone came out of it. I got lucky. Now, my phone is stuck on the HTC white logo screen, and I can't get out of it.

To make this clear, my phone is rooted. I've checked online and I've tried completely wiping the phone, but to no avail. I'm still a rookie when it comes to this new phone language, so I really don't understand what people mean by "Flash a rom", "Reboot to nandroid", stuff like that. I've gotten into HBOOT and Recovery, so it's fully maneuverable there.

I tried following certain instructions on downloading new ROMs. But I can't download new ROMs, because my phone won't turn on.

Another thing... Yes I successfully rooted. I had no problems during my first try, so I don't think that has anything to do with it.

What I really need is VERY clear instructions on what I should do to work my way around this. Like I said, I still consider myself not fully educated on these matters, so please, be as clear as possible. However, anything helps. Thank you so much in advance! I'm depending on you!

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
I cannot be very specific because I do not have your phone but what I can tell you is this:

If you run a stock RUU, you can just run it from your computer with the phone plugged in (you may need to get to fastboot first)

Second, you can use adb to push a rom to your phone. I would suggest downloading a stock RUU image, unzip it, then run the exe from your computer. That would be easiest. I looked real quick an I think this is the newest: Shipped ROMs

If that fails, do a search on how to use ADB. There are a few good tutorials out there.

Reactions: Sam_Winchester
Jul 4, 2012
Visit site
I cannot be very specific because I do not have your phone but what I can tell you is this:

If you run a stock RUU, you can just run it from your computer with the phone plugged in (you may need to get to fastboot first)

Second, you can use adb to push a rom to your phone. I would suggest downloading a stock RUU image, unzip it, then run the exe from your computer. That would be easiest. I looked real quick an I think this is the newest: Shipped ROMs

If that fails, do a search on how to use ADB. There are a few good tutorials out there.

I downloaded the RUU zip. But I'm unable to see them because the files are 'invalid'.

I've used adb before, but what do I actually do with it to work this out?

dd0yl3

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
If you turn your phone off. You might have to remove the battery. Hold down and the power button. This will take yo to the recovery screen. You see options for wiping the device installing a rom or a back up. With the volume rocker go down to back up and restore.click that with the power button. then go to restore. choose your backed up ROM click it with the power button. I you can also just wipe your device from the main screen. Just go throng the options and look.

Sent from my HTC ThunderBolt using Android Central Forums

Jul 4, 2012
Visit site
If you turn your phone off. You might have to remove the battery. Hold down and the power button. This will take yo to the recovery screen. You see options for wiping the device installing a rom or a back up. With the volume rocker go down to back up and restore.click that with the power button. then go to restore. choose your backed up ROM click it with the power button. I you can also just wipe your device from the main screen. Just go throng the options and look.

I sifted through there, and I chose first file on there, I clicked restore. I received things like, "E: Can't open cache/recovery/last_log" and another one upon trying to restore that read, "Checkin MD5 sums.... MD5 mismatch!"

dd0yl3

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
It sounds like your backup are no good. If possible try taking your sd card out and putting it on your computer. Download a new rom from rootzwiki or xda. Install it on on your card then return the card back to your phone. When you boot up in recovery select wipe data, then wipe cache. Once that is finished click mount and storage, click format data. Now go back to the main recovery screen and click install zip from sdcard. You will have to find the rom on your card, select it and install. I dont know if your see the same error but it is worth a try.

Jul 4, 2012
Visit site
It sounds like your backup are no good. If possible try taking your sd card out and putting it on your computer. Download a new rom from rootzwiki or xda. Install it on on your card then return the card back to your phone. When you boot up in recovery select wipe data, then wipe cache. Once that is finished click mount and storage, click format data. Now go back to the main recovery screen and click install zip from sdcard. You will have to find the rom on your card, select it and install. I dont know if your see the same error but it is worth a try.

Okay, thanks. I'm going to buy one of those mini SD occupants from Radioshack and try that later. Can I just flash the same rom again?

Also, in case of the mount and storage formatting, this won't cause me to lose anything saved on my SD, will it?

dd0yl3

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Yes, you can flash the same rom again. When you format your data it won't erase anything. You can take your sd card out before you do it. It worked for me before like that. You might want to try that before you buy anything.

Jul 4, 2012
Visit site
As in the mount and storage wipe? Because I already factory wiped my phone hundreds of times, at least. :-\

EDIT: Went to mounts and storage, wiped /data and got "Error wiping data!"

Last edited:

dd0yl3

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
I haven't seen that message before. There might be something wrong with your phone like you said before. I'll keep checking and see if there is anything else.

Jul 4, 2012
Visit site
dd0yl3, Thank you. I actually went in to Verizon, hoping they could just flash to stock for me, and I ended up paying for a new phone altogether, I just added another line for ten bucks a month. I'm still going to try to fix this one, and I've got fourteen more days to do it.

So for now, I'm settling with the HTC Charge. This time, I am NOT rooting. At least not until I'm more educated with these matters.

All the same, thanks so much. You did help a lot, and my phone did actually get out of the white screen, but went back into a boot loop, which is where I was before. One step closer!

Sheraz Shaikh

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
my samsung galaxy tab 7" is not starting up...therefore i done all the steps as you define in your post but i have a problem when i am pressing and holding the power and volume key so i got an icon of android and the downloading is seen but not go further....so what can i do????