Issue With Texting

AFirefighter

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
Hey all,

I'm having 3 issues with texting on my Thunderbolt.

Firstly, when receiving texts my phone completely freezes for several seconds. This happens with every incoming text. When sending texts, it lags quite a bit as well. I'm using Handcent.

Another issue is when I try to use the built in texting service. I open it, and I can see my prior texts fine. I then click on any of the texts, and it just sits there trying to load the text. It does this indefinitely. It does not matter if there are 10000 messages in the string, or just 2.

Lastly, when receiving texts from some of my friends using iPhones, it asks me to "Download" the message. When I do so, it's not over 160 chars, typically just them sending a sentence or two. It's odd I am being asked to download such little information?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Green_Laser

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
I have your 3rd issue too, though I dismiss it and got used to it.
I think many have this issue too. IPhone tends to send out sms as mms. I get these all the time from family members with iphones who reply a simple "ok"

Sent from my ADR6400L using Android Central Forums

firepsych

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Are you using stock Sense or a 3rd party launcher? Do have any other messaging apps or keyboards installed?
Reboot, batt pull, take out sim card etc. Factory reset?
Has it always worked this way?
I used Handcent for a while but didn't like the lag. I'm using Go SMS now and like it.

AFirefighter

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
Everything is untouched with my OS. Stock launcher, stock keyboard. Only messaging apps are Handcent and the stock one. It has been slow like this since I can remember. I installed it back on Day 1 in March when I picked up my pre-order at Best Buy. Is there a way that Go SMS can pull my texts from Handcent to save them, then I can uninstall Handcent?

firepsych

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Pretty sure your texts are stored on your phone independant off application. The app is only yhe interface. Go ahead and install Go SMS and open it. I think all of your txt messages will be there.

defcon999

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Everything is untouched with my OS. Stock launcher, stock keyboard. Only messaging apps are Handcent and the stock one. It has been slow like this since I can remember. I installed it back on Day 1 in March when I picked up my pre-order at Best Buy. Is there a way that Go SMS can pull my texts from Handcent to save them, then I can uninstall Handcent?

I have the stock messaging program as well as Handcent and GoSMS and they are all interusable (my word), meaning that if a message comes in I can view it on any of the programs. I find Handcent handles MMS messages better than GoSMS which is my manin SMS app.

AFirefighter

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
I've switched to GoSMS now and so far so good. Definitely less laggy than Handcent, at least for these few incoming texts I have received.

AFirefighter

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
Weird issue with GoSMS now. Duplicate texts. Every incoming text from my g/f is coming in duplicated. She is telling me she is receiving the same on her end.

firepsych

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Uninstall Handcent. Through App Manager clear defaults for all of your sms apps.
Somewhere in the Go SMS settings I think you can make Go SMS your primary app. Also go to the Go website. There's probably an FAQ on that issue.