What is wrong with my Thunderbolt ?

dd0yl3

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
I called VZW over the weekend and they reset my phone. That didn't work, so they told go pick up a new sim. A day later and I'm still dropping my data signal. I guess once I get the chance I'll call again to see what else they can do.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Android Central Forums

loupitschmann

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
Anyone have any luck getting anything with an out-of-warranty phone? I'd take mine in to the store, but don't really care to sit there and have them do a factory reset and new SIM card, neither of which seem to fix anything from what I've read. If they'd offer up anything else (even another refurb TB), I'd take it. But I'm guessing they won't since it's out of warranty.

My Thunderbolt was out of warranty, but they replaced it with a refurb as a "one time courtesy." I was respectful during my calls to Verizon and I think this helped.
This was after several calls to tech support and attempted all of their suggested resets and other fixes and a trip to the store for a new SIM card. None of this worked.
I unrooted my old phone and sent it back after I got the refurb. Working good so far.
Hope they give you some love.

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
I called VZW over the weekend and they reset my phone. That didn't work, so they told go pick up a new sim. A day later and I'm still dropping my data signal. I guess once I get the chance I'll call again to see what else they can do.

Considering yours sounds like constant drops, it's most likely a hardware problem with the phone itself. If it's intermittent, it's not the phone and something Verizon did to the network around the first week of June that is not playing well with the Thunderbolt (and other phones). There’s some speculation that they made a change in the network in prep for the Samsung Galaxy S3 launch and that a forthcoming software update (ICS?) is supposed to help older phones. Who knows though as you can’t get a straight answer from Verizon.

Myself, the issue has always been intermittent as I can go a day or more with no problem, especially when I'm at home (in the burbs), then out of the blue it'll start up, then go away again on its own. Another data point, about a month ago I spent a week around Denver, mainly in the burbs, and didn’t have a single data drop issue while there. In comparison, the problem happens with much more frequency when I’m at work which is in a very highly populated area overall, not to mention the thousands of employees on our own campus (and other major businesses nearby). So there may be something to the congested tower switching mentioned on Droidforums I posted above. Regardless, it's frustrating because it used to be rock solid with nary a data drop. :(

Reactions: dd0yl3 and ToddL

dd0yl3

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
I had to call VZW this morning because I was still having data drop issues. They tried a new sim, reset and other setting options. I think I called about a total 4 times because it wasn't getting any better. They tech rep transfered me to another technician. She couldnt figure it out so the gave me another device. She said they were all out of other phones that they usually send so she gave me nexus. Hopefully this phone doesn't have data issue like the thunderbolt.

TankMech

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
That's a pretty sweet upgrade! Gave you a nexus for a tbolt...lucky!! U will be very happy;)

Sent from my BullyBolt using Android Central Forums.

nvoll84

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
Guess what juuuust happened? I was on phone with Verizon tech support, and got transferred to level 2 support. After almost an hour of troubleshooting to no avail, the rep is now sending me a like-new reburb Razor Maxx phone, and at no cost. Hopefully this will improve things, but I am not holding my breath. BTW, my TB is not rooted.

Were you still under warranty when they replaced your Tbolt? That's my problem. I out of warranty and all the "Tech Support" could do was replace my sim card in store. That didn't do anything. I would love a free Razr Maxx.

dd0yl3

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
If your still having the same problem after the new sim call them back. That's what I did.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I had to call VZW this morning because I was still having data drop issues. They tried a new sim, reset and other setting options. I think I called about a total 4 times because it wasn't getting any better. They tech rep transfered me to another technician. She couldnt figure it out so the gave me another device. She said they were all out of other phones that they usually send so she gave me nexus. Hopefully this phone doesn't have data issue like the thunderbolt.

It has worse 3g data reception than tbolt.

dd0yl3

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
I have the nexus for about two weeks. I haven't had any data drops and I get stronger signal in place I had none.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

ToddL

May 7, 2011
Visit site
Hmmm, these comments make me tempted to call them and try to get a new phone. I just don't know if I have the patience to go through multiple phone calls, resets, SIMs, etc, just for an outside chance of getting a new phone (esp since I'm out of warranty).

nvoll84

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
Set aside 3 hours for the whole ordeal. I went to my local store and had them swap the sim card. No improvement. I did a factory reset. After a couple of days it was dropping connections again. I got fed up and called tech support after reading this thread. I was nice over the phone, might have played a little dumb. They bumped me right up to Tier 2 and followed all their steps, that took the longest. He couldn't help me. I called back and talked to someone else. She asked if I was offered a replacement. No. Since I have insurance on my Tbolt she said I could get a replacement for free. I assume since it was not my fault I don't have to pay the deductible? Oh, we don't have any more Tbolts to give you. I'll have to give you a Razr. She signed me up for a Razr and an external battery/wall charger. I showed concern about battery life. She didn't mention the Maxx. I called a third person and explained that I was concerned about battery life and that a Razr would not help me since I can't be tied to a wall outlet all day. He bumped me up to a Maxx no problem. Now I have two phones. Haha. I have to send the Razr and Tbolt back but I got a Maxx, A $200 phone, at no cost to me. Long story I know but just be nice over the phone, jump through their hoops, and nudge them in the direction you want them to go. Thanks for this thread. See you in the Maxx forums. :)

Last edited:

skibs24

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
I guess I called on a bad day. They have Thunderbolts in stock so they are sending me yet another Thunderbolt replacement. They offered me an alternative option (either a Motorola Bionic or an LG Spectrum) but I would have to pay for the battery and back cover. I am not willing to fork out any more money when other people are getting different phones for free, especially for two phones that are "retired" according to Verizon. I have 2 months left before I can upgrade. Let's hope this replacement Thunderbolt works better.

d1c1ple

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
yep data drops constantly when trying to use the phone. MHS seems to work ok; but any app that needs data - drop, drop, drop, it's very frustrating. I'm tempted to call as well; at this point any refurb device rezound, razr, maxx or nexus would be an upgrade

Casey Cheung

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
By the way, if anyone is interested, I still have 2 extended batteries, plus 4 stock batteries, plus the back for the extended battery, and extra carry case. All for the Thunderbolt, which I don't have anymore! I bought all this stuff from local Verizon stores. Quite sad that I needed some many batteries for the Thunderbolt!

jgarcia1225

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
so i called verizon because i went to the store and one of guys told me that after the 3rd time that they've send you a phone you can get another model so i called and the told me no because it is not on the policy what can i do or say so i can get one that does work

ToddL

May 7, 2011
Visit site
I had 3 total TBs (2 replacements), and they tried to send another. I stressed to them (in a friendly way) that it seemed like every TB they send me will have this problem, and I wasting alot of my time by constantly having to set up new phones. They sent me a Droid 4. Probably could have gotten something else if I paid for battery and back, but since D4 has built in battery, I got it free and clear.

flyerchas

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
Just developed this problem this past weekend. Per Verizon techincal help, I did a factory reset, and have been getting 4g LTE since.

TonyO511

May 21, 2012
Visit site
Hi Tbolters......This is what I have learned with mine. Now I know this may not be the case for everyone, but it's something to look at. Bought my tbolt right before last christmas. Worked great, had no problems. Then probably about 4 mos ago, decided to get an extended battery and root my phone. Have had nothing but problems since, dropping data, no data....just aggravating....thought maybe it was the roms I was trying....after going through about 10 diff. roms...still same problem. Then I started thinking...it pretty much all started when I put the extended battery in. Like probably most people (not all) I got my battery and cover on ebay. Why? Because they are usually cheaper. Well guess what.......since I went back to my stock battery and original back cover...haven't had a lick of problems dropping data.....been working great. What I've found is that these cheaper aftermarket extended battery covers aren't making good connection with the phone, hence losing data reception. For those still having problems....might be something to look at.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuckm