Any fixes for this common Thunderbolt problem?

epicness

May 13, 2012
Visit site
ok, i've read a lot of threads on here with this issue, but didn't ever really see a fix...so, i figured i'd make a thread to ask...are there any radio fixes for the Thunderbolt?

my fiancee got one and it drops signal like you wouldn't believe. it'll go from 4G to nothing in no time flat...my Razr holds signal great, so i'm sure it's not Verizon. it also goes through battery like Whitney Houston went through cocaine.

are there any fixes or does she just need to take this puppy back? she upgrades in September but just needs a phone in between now and then. she read great things about the Thunderbolt and has been real disappointed by it's "performance"...

thanks in advance guys...and sorry to bring up something that's been covered...i'm just wondering if there's a fix that i'm simply missing...?

am4966

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Sounds like the phone is broke. People do have/had issues with data drop outs. But if its happening Alot exchange it.

Turn the screen brightness down, adjust sync times with three apps. Use WiFi whenever possible. Y5 app works great for that.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Android Central Forums

bjboucher

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
That is not a common thunderbolt problem. Make sure the battery door is on securely, that's where most of the antennas are. If that doesn't work, take it back.

mrtonk

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
This is happening to my Bolt and my wife's D4. There are a number of threads about Verizon's dropped data lately. I have better results using 3G only, but I believe this is a Verizon issue.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

bpyazel

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
It's pretty common around here. Two Thunderbolts on my account. Both have been dropping 4g and doing the mobile data off, on, off, on bug for about three months. Verizon seems clueless as to the cause. I've had my sims replaced and one phone replaced. They still do it. They did something to their network months ago that screws with thunderbolts.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

johnriii

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
As has been reported in several threads, data drops have been happening to a lot of Verizon customers, and it's not limited to just Tbolts. I'm narrowing it down to the last OTA, which has my 4G working very sporadically, and 3G actually a better option most of the time. then again, there are times when I can't even get a 3G signal. as far as battery life, the Tbolt has from the beginning had horrid battery consumption, it's something most of us have learned to live with. I use juice defender, which increases my battery life by at least 50%, but even with that, when you're on 4G, it does eat the battery at a rapid pace.

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
As has been reported in several threads, data drops have been happening to a lot of Verizon customers, and it's not limited to just Tbolts. I'm narrowing it down to the last OTA, which has my 4G working very sporadically, and 3G actually a better option most of the time. then again, there are times when I can't even get a 3G signal. as far as battery life, the Tbolt has from the beginning had horrid battery consumption, it's something most of us have learned to live with. I use juice defender, which increases my battery life by at least 50%, but even with that, when you're on 4G, it does eat the battery at a rapid pace.

It can't be the last OTA version (2.11.605.19) as I'm still experiencing the occasional data drop issue on the previous version (2.11.605.9) from Dec. 2011. Even when I was on the latest version it worked great, no data drop issues. Then it all started about the first week of June and has continued on and off since. It would appear Verizon has made some type of change to their network that is not playing well with some phones. :( Granted in some cases where your phone is constantly dropping data, it's most likely a hardware issue with the phone itself. I found this on Droidforums.net that has some good info to consider regarding the data drop issue:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...s/218137-why-my-lte-device-dropping-data.html

"Why is my LTE device dropping in data.
1) If the device is not staying connected and constantly dropping data it could be a hardware issue.

Solution: Change out devices. Try doing an exchange and if you still experience constant drops you may need to look at swapping to a different handset all together (ie from Nexus to razr).

2) 4g has been working fine but lately I am getting no connection, mms fails, and sometimes calls will not connect

Solution: Swap out sim cards.

3) My 4g works great but out of no where it drops off for 2 mins.

Solution: It is designed that way. Talked to an engineer and the idea is that if a tower gets congested it switches you to another tower. That momentary swap causes you to momentarily lose data.

But that did not happen before. More and more people are buying lte devices causing more congestion. The idea of switching people from tower to tower is designed so you do not lose data completely or for long periods of time. I am playing with at&t lte and I would rather lose data for 2 mins once or twice a day than 20 mins.

But its happening more than twice a day. Call a tech they may need to reset the provisions in your phone to make sure its locking on to the towers. Also as OEMS learn more about the network they are building better radios and more efficient processors to lessen the time it takes to switch."

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc