ICS End of Aug?

steve0617

Oct 31, 2010
Visit site
Disagree but I'm an optimist. The Rezound's ICS came out on the very last day that it was due. I'm expecting the thunderbolt to be the last day of this month.

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
It is abnormal not to see any leaks yet. In the past, we've typically seen them well in advance of an actual OTA. In comparison, the Rezound had a couple leaks, one in May, another in June before the final (and different version than the leaks) pushed out to users in August.

steve0617

Oct 31, 2010
Visit site
Yea, with no leaks yet, that's why I'm not really expecting it either. Hoping though.

Unless that alleged 1080p HTC device gets announced, then I'm out. Sitting on an upgrade that's burning a hole in my pocket.

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
Why do people keep starting new threads with the same information???? There's like 100 ICS threads on here now.

Ha, at least it's not as bad as the Rezound forum.... yet. :eek: The last few months they were driving themselves batty over ICS right up until and even as the official OTA started to roll out. It was crazy.

bjboucher

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
Ha, at least it's not as bad as the Rezound forum.... yet. :eek: The last few months they were driving themselves batty over ICS right up until and even as the official OTA started to roll out. It was crazy.

Meh, I could care less. I'll install the RUU leak if/when it comes out though. I'm getting close to an upgrade so if it messes anything up too bad....i'll trade in. If it doesn't come out, i'll live. Not going to worry about it, the phone works pretty well, so no complaints from me.

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
Meh, I could care less. I'll install the RUU leak if/when it comes out though. I'm getting close to an upgrade so if it messes anything up too bad....i'll trade in. If it doesn't come out, i'll live. Not going to worry about it, the phone works pretty well, so no complaints from me.

Similar sentiment here. I'm not seeing much of an upside to ICS as I have no interest in Chrome (which only works on ICS or newer) and I've read can be a resource hog (besides stock browser works great!). Also not really liking the dock in the newer version of Sense, reminds me of a crappy third party launcher. But most of all I'm concerned about how it may affect current stability. Other than the occasional data drop, which all signs point to a network issue, this phone feels dialed in and rock solid on Gingerbread. To risk that there better be something substantial in the mix, but I'm just not seeing that. In the meantime, if ICS is released I'll sit back and watch and see what happens. May be something will change my feelings on it.

Reactions: AZSALUKI

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
The stock browser sucks balls.

I have heard this many times, but haven't heard the reasons why.

I too would like to hear more to quantify that opinion. For me, the stock browser just works. It doesn't have tabs and some other features, but it's fast and doesn't cause any performance issues that I've ever noticed. I haven't heard the same for Chrome, instead I've read it can be a resource hog and in some cases has caused a drastic increase in battery drain with the only solution to uninstall it. :eek:

Reactions: mrtonk

DaRkL3AD3R

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Dolphin HD is a far better browser than stock. Significantly more options and more stable. The feature to hold the back key to exit the application and wipe cache/history makes it better than stock ALONE.

Back on topic, I'm not holding my breathe either but why you would WANT your phone to be held back from being on the latest current release of Android is just all different types of wtf.

If they release it, it obviously went through tons of quality control to ensure you are NOT losing ground and stability. You can only get a better experience with it. Honestly how could you want Android to be more heavily fragmented when they are trying to update you?

Companies just can't win anymore. People complain if you don't upgrade, people complain if you do upgrade. Too much cluster !@#$ for one mind to handle.

Reactions: Spacemaker24

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
Back on topic, I'm not holding my breathe either but why you would WANT your phone to be held back from being on the latest current release of Android is just all different types of wtf.

If they release it, it obviously went through tons of quality control to ensure you are NOT losing ground and stability. You can only get a better experience with it. Honestly how could you want Android to be more heavily fragmented when they are trying to update you?

I don't share the same optimism regarding quality control considering Verizon's track record (remember the Froyo MR1 reboot fiasco or the bungled voice mail notification issue in Gingerbread 2.11.605.3?). It's easy to forget how updates can go awry since the last few we've seen have been pretty stable (since 2.11.605.5). But keep in mind these were all minor fixes on an already very stable Gingerbread base. Go back and look at the issues from the Froyo to Gingerbread jump and those subsequent updates to fix those issues. Now, it's well known that Gingerbread to ICS is a much bigger jump, not to even mention the completely different version of Sense that is supposed to be part of the ICS upgrade. So, logically it stands to reason there will be issues that could very well impact the current stability we have now on Gingerbread. I don't know about you, but frankly I don't care about fragmentation and the possibility of my phone being held back a version. All I care about is how well my phone operates. And right now, it works quite well. :)

johnriii

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
I don't share the same optimism regarding quality control considering Verizon's track record (remember the Froyo MR1 reboot fiasco or the bungled voice mail notification issue in Gingerbread 2.11.605.3?). It's easy to forget how updates can go awry since the last few we've seen have been pretty stable (since 2.11.605.5). But keep in mind these were all minor fixes on an already very stable Gingerbread base. Go back and look at the issues from the Froyo to Gingerbread jump and those subsequent updates to fix those issues. Now, it's well known that Gingerbread to ICS is a much bigger jump, not to even mention the completely different version of Sense that is supposed to be part of the ICS upgrade. So, logically it stands to reason there will be issues that could very well impact the current stability we have now on Gingerbread. I don't know about you, but frankly I don't care about fragmentation and the possibility of my phone being held back a version. All I care about is how well my phone operates. And right now, it works quite well. :)

what HE said!!

personally, I'm not too jazzed up about this update...I'm very very close to rooting, if for nothing else to see how much freedom it gives me for when it's time to upgrade next summer. I have the strange feeling this ICS update could destabilize an already fragile operating system, at least since the last update. OR, maybe it will improve upon the last update, because my Tbolt has been very unstable for about the last 3 months. it's just a waiting game now.

andunn31

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
I would bet after ics comes to the thunderbolt we will see about two more updates after the release. Not to jelly bean, but to squash bugs and add additional bloat ware

AZSALUKI

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
The only thing I'm liking forward to with ICS is some renewed dev support/interest. New ROMs would be cool.....but that's about it.

sent from my bolt using tapatalk

DaRkL3AD3R

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
The only thing I'm liking forward to with ICS is some renewed dev support/interest. New ROMs would be cool.....but that's about it.

sent from my bolt using tapatalk

Cyanogen Mod 9? For the first time in this s!@tty phones life we can have official CM support?

Yeah that alone is reason enough to be banging at the gates of Fort HTC for Android 4.0.x for this device. Seeing as how they can't even manage to update the device in a timely manner, let alone deliver a user experienced nearly as good as the awesomeness that is Cyanogen.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad