Hate to be leaving

defcon999

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Well my fellow Thunderboltians,

It is sad to announce that I will be leaving the TB realms. It has been amazing ride for the last 18 months, but my Thunderbolt bit the dust.

What happened is that I was Factory resetting my phone for prepping it for ICS. It rebooted and the HTC white screen came on with the green logo and just sat there for for 20 mins.....no "quietly" anything.....so, I pulled the battery and let it sit for a couple of mins. Snapped the battery back in and tried to power it up....NOTHING...NADA...ZILCH....ZIPPO!. Tried to pull the battery again and did the power + volume down procedure and nothing. THe battery was at 90% charge when it died on me.

So, I called Verizon tech support and talked to a nice gal Lydia and explained my situation (didn't tell her it was rooted....she didn't ask, I didn't tell). She asked if I wanted a REZOUND. I said well "I heard they are Thunderbolt 2's). She then said the sweetest words I have heard "What phone would you like...other than the S3?". I said "how about the RAZR MAXX". She said "Ok, have a refurb one...is that ok?". I told her it was so she is sending me it and will get here on Wednesday.

I will be joining the MAXX forum shortly and seeing what custom ROMS there are for it!

Thanks again to everyone and the developers (BAMF, VIRUS, Gingeritis, Eternity, Factory, Bully, Thundershed)...will miss you guys!

mightyfacundo

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
Good luck, man! We'll miss you around here, but you gotta do what you gotta do. If you get a chance, how bout coming back here and sharing your impressions of the Maxx with us? I hope it's a great phone for you!

defcon999

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Good luck, man! We'll miss you around here, but you gotta do what you gotta do. If you get a chance, how bout coming back here and sharing your impressions of the Maxx with us? I hope it's a great phone for you!

You got it........I so wanted to keep my bolt...it is like an old comfortable pair of pants.....you just feel at peace when you slip them on.

Now it is "back to school" as far as learing. I will become the "noob". I have already looked for a custom ROM and haven't found any....but, I won't be in any hurry to root it.

Green_Laser

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
Question.... When you were factory resetting, was that being done through recovery?

I'd hate for something like that to happen to me. Good luck to you with the RAZR.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Android Central Forums

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
Sorry to hear that. :( I know if that happened to me, I'd be extremely disappointed considering I still have yet to see anything worth replacing my Thunderbolt for (still holding out hope for a true successor). For that reason, I've always considered getting another one just to have as a back up. In fact I feel so strongly about it yet that if I had to now, I'd still go out and purchase a brand new replacement (has to be new, used isn't a consideration and money isn't a problem). They're still available online at various places or even in a couple area Best Buy's. I know, call me crazy! :p

Anyway, good luck and enjoy your new phone! :)

defcon999

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Question.... When you were factory resetting, was that being done through recovery?

I'd hate for something like that to happen to me. Good luck to you with the RAZR.

Green,

I was reflashing the BAMF ICS ROM (nothing wrong with it). I had some issues restoring my apps. It automatically rebooted and just hung at the HTC splash screen (white screen, green HTC).

When I flashed it, I was using "4ext Recovery" app.....awesome app.....never had an issue. I wiped my cache, dalvik and formatted the system (which I have done with CWM many times). This time it just BONKED on me. I have tried 4 different batteries and it won't boot at all....NOTHING...no light...even when I plug it in the charging light doesn't even come on.

Sorry to hear that. I know if that happened to me, I'd be extremely disappointed considering I still have yet to see anything worth replacing my Thunderbolt for (still holding out hope for a true successor). For that reason, I've always considered getting another one just to have as a back up. In fact I feel so strongly about it yet that if I had to now, I'd still go out and purchase a brand new replacement (has to be new, used isn't a consideration and money isn't a problem). They're still available online at various places or even in a couple area Best Buy's. I know, call me crazy!

I was holding out until December until I could upgrade....now, getting this RAZR MAXX.....it might be held off longer now. I know the MAXX is about 6+ months old, but, it will come stock with ICS and get JB soon.

My son just upgrade back in June to the RAZR and he loves it. So, he is ol for a couple of years. THe other 2 phones on my account are DUMBPHONES so, they won't be upgraded anytime soon. So, it looks like I will be keeping my unlimited plan for longer than I expected....YEAAAAAAAAH!

Like I said i my original post, I will miss the TBolt community and all the developers and especially I will miss my TBolt. It was like an unruly child....didn't matter, it was my unruly child and I love it just the same!

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I have had the tbolt, rezound, razr maxx, and gs3. The tbolt is on the bottom of the list. I like my gs3 the most, but the Razr maxx isn't far behind, other than the screen.

Green_Laser

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
Green,

I was reflashing the BAMF ICS ROM (nothing wrong with it). I had some issues restoring my apps. It automatically rebooted and just hung at the HTC splash screen (white screen, green HTC).

When I flashed it, I was using "4ext Recovery" app.....awesome app.....never had an issue. I wiped my cache, dalvik and formatted the system (which I have done with CWM many times). This time it just BONKED on me. I have tried 4 different batteries and it won't boot at all....NOTHING...no light...even when I plug it in the charging light doesn't even come on.

Thanks for the fill in. Was only asking to see if I can avoid anything like that - Man that effing sucks!
Good luck to you, your help in these is/was appreciated.

dd0yl3

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
I just left the tbolt when I couldn't hold a data signal longer than a couple of minutes. After many couple attempted fixes by the vzw rep they offered the nexus. I really like the bolt and wish I didn't have to send it back but the stock experience on the nexus has opened my eyes.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

jackmei2

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
it's awesome they hooked you up with a new phone! my tbolt started dying and couldn't lock onto a 4G signal, really pissing me off at times. got a GS3 and have been really happy with it. I actually was fine with my tbolt until the signal issues started, but man, once I got a GS3... what a HUGE improvement. good luck to you and your razr maxx!

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
I have been away for almost a couple of months now. Verizon replaced my Bolt with the Rezound. It has been an excellent phone so far. I have a friend on the Maxx and although he has liked it, since the ICS he has found it is lagging more and his contacts are messed up. It will dial the wrong number when he has chosen another number to dial. weird.....hope you won't have those issues with your Maxx.
I loved my Bolt but was having internet issues at home and it worked everywhere else.
Weird and was glad when Verizon offered me an alternative.
As long as our devices work and we are happy.....that's what counts the most.
Mine has been flawless and ICS is very sweet. I keep it on the 4G and I do have long battery life. I am very pleased.
Good luck with your Maxx

viper31573

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
Just beware, when my father returned his iPhone 4s under warranty, they told him if they found the problem to be my fathers fault such as water damage, they would charge him for the replacement. If they figure out you caused the phone issue they may charge you for the replacement

redcat22

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
Well my fellow Thunderboltians,

What happened is that I was Factory resetting my phone for prepping it for ICS. It rebooted and the HTC white screen came on with the green logo and just sat there for for 20 mins.....no "quietly" anything.....so, I pulled the battery and let it sit for a couple of mins. Snapped the battery back in and tried to power it up....NOTHING...NADA...ZILCH....ZIPPO!. Tried to pull the battery again and did the power + volume down procedure and nothing. THe battery was at 90% charge when it died on me.

So, I called Verizon tech support and talked to a nice gal Lydia and explained my situation (didn't tell her it was rooted....she didn't ask, I didn't tell). She asked if I wanted a REZOUND. I said well "I heard they are Thunderbolt 2's). She then said the sweetest words I have heard "What phone would you like...other than the S3?". I said "how about the RAZR MAXX". She said "Ok, have a refurb one...is that ok?". I told her it was so she is sending me it and will get here on Wednesday.

Hey Defcon,

First off, sorry about your Tbolt. That sucks big time. Second, was your Tbolt still under warranty? Third, did/will you unroot your Tbolt before sending it back to Verizon? I'm quite concerned about my phone. I'm rooted but haven't flashed any roms, but my Tbolt did turn itself off today which it has never done before. When i turned it back on, it didn't boot up normally either. I'm crossing all my fingers and toes that it's not the beginning of the end. I've only had my phone for 8 months.:(

defcon999

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Hey Defcon,

First off, sorry about your Tbolt. That sucks big time. Second, was your Tbolt still under warranty? Third, did/will you unroot your Tbolt before sending it back to Verizon? I'm quite concerned about my phone. I'm rooted but haven't flashed any roms, but my Tbolt did turn itself off today which it has never done before. When i turned it back on, it didn't boot up normally either. I'm crossing all my fingers and toes that it's not the beginning of the end. I've only had my phone for 8 months.:(

So far I am liking the MAXX. ICS is definately a little bit of a learning curve. I did watch the "getting started" video's that where pre-loaded and that actually helped a lot. For example, you can't hold on the homescreen and add a WIDGET. You have to go to the APP menu and then pick the "widget tab" at the top. I do miss the native HTC widgets (i.e. calendar, contacts, GPS).

I am not thrilled with MOTO BLUR, but then again, I am coming from HTC SENSE. The screen is sweet and nice a crisp.

Yes, my TBolt was under warranty.

I am not worried about my phone being rooted. They had NO TBolts to replace it with, so, I really don't think they will check...they more than likely will scrap the phone. In fact, when I got the new phone, it didn't even come with a mail pouch to send the old phone back.

I do have an otterbox case for it if anyone wants it. The holster broke, but the phonecase still is in good shape.

Reactions: redcat22

defcon999

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Well, after 1 week with the RAZR MAXX....I like it....I don't LOVE it. Well, let me restate that....I am not a fan of MOTOBLUR. I prefer SENSE way much more.

Also, rooting is way easy (like the TBolt), but to install a ROM is a pain. You have to use different bootstraps for different ROMS. There there are ROMS that are for GSM and CDMA......I am not in any hurry to load a custom ROM, but it is fun learning.

The girlfriend seems impressed with my "lingo" (hack, Rooted, Custom ROM). She has a iPhone 3GS...she didn't know how to set up her email account on her phone.....LOLOL....I do love that woman!....it is people like her that make me glad to be a geek!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781