HTC response to where is ICS for TB

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
Some people just don't care. Apparently you're in the wrong if you do care about the things you spend money on.

Everyone cares about different things. Myself, I care more about how well something works and whether it meets my personal preferences in how it operates. It's the same thing with my computers and why I choose to use Windows XP, even on a year old laptop that originally came with Windows 7. Software is not automatically better just because it's newer. It's not that black and white.

Updates that prolong the life of your phone's OS makes your phone run better. Simple.

That's an assumption. It's rarely that simple. There are always pros and cons involved and sometimes major updates can ruin what was otherwise a solid working device.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
And yet if they gave the RIL information, and maybe an updated radio, to the developers, we'd have a ROM like Liquid ICS with perfectly working radio and no bugs/HTC laggyness.

And we would have had it 6 months ago.

But no, instead we are forced to sit here and twiddle our thumbs while they work on updating the device. That leak a week ago? It was build-date stamped as late April. APRIL. If that truly is the build they're working with then what the !@#$. That shows just how much they really are trying to push this update out. That they use an out-dated version of Android (4.0.3 instead of 4.0.4 which DOES make a nice difference) and its from months ago. Sad.

And really, how can ANYONE blame Verizon for this? Verizon's job in updating phones is limited to: making sure the update doesn't cause phones to fry in turn screwing up their network, and distrubiting the actual update itself. VERIZON does not cook up the RUU's, HTC does.

So if HTC is sending Verizon updated builds once every 4 months, how is that Verizon's fault? It's HTC's fault. They're the ones who lose money when they make an update, or miss out on a new phone sale. Prolonging the life of this device = lost money for them, and in the business world that is the overruling decision making factor on everything.

Bottom line: I'm done with HTC. Bring on the new Nexus, and please let it be a Samsung device.

I'd prefer a motorola nexus. Sammy just can't get data reception right.

Jason_A

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
Careful armeddroid, you're speaking too much reason and logic for these forums. You might get flamed like I am.

PS - really couldn't have said that better myself.

I think you misinterpret peoples intentions. I seriously doubt that anyone DOESN'T want ICS for the TB. There have been several TB updates that actually DID make the TB worse (remember the random reboots?). Now that the TB is finally stable, I think there are a lot of people that would be happy for HTC/Verizon to take their time and test the ICS build thoroughly so when we get the update everything works, rather than rush something out that's full of bugs. I'm in that camp - I want ICS, but I want it to work!

Reactions: mrtonk

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
And yet if they gave the RIL information, and maybe an updated radio, to the developers, we'd have a ROM like Liquid ICS with perfectly working radio and no bugs/HTC laggyness.

And we would have had it 6 months ago.

But no, instead we are forced to sit here and twiddle our thumbs while they work on updating the device. That leak a week ago? It was build-date stamped as late April. APRIL. If that truly is the build they're working with then what the !@#$. That shows just how much they really are trying to push this update out. That they use an out-dated version of Android (4.0.3 instead of 4.0.4 which DOES make a nice difference) and its from months ago. Sad.

And really, how can ANYONE blame Verizon for this? Verizon's job in updating phones is limited to: making sure the update doesn't cause phones to fry in turn screwing up their network, and distrubiting the actual update itself. VERIZON does not cook up the RUU's, HTC does.

So if HTC is sending Verizon updated builds once every 4 months, how is that Verizon's fault? It's HTC's fault. They're the ones who lose money when they make an update, or miss out on a new phone sale. Prolonging the life of this device = lost money for them, and in the business world that is the overruling decision making factor on everything.

Bottom line: I'm done with HTC. Bring on the new Nexus, and please let it be a Samsung device.

really? you cannot honestly think that.

I will say this for the 10000000000000th time.

Google releases pure android version X.X
HTC gets it and throws nothing but sense on it
they in turn give it to verizon.
verizon then throws in the RIL, and all the crapware
crapware causes an issue with sense

If all verizon would do would be add the RIL, they would get the updates out much faster. But they cannot leave well enough alone.

This isnt a google or HTC issue. The build you are seeing from April is the build that HTC threw to VZW. They are the ones sitting on it.

DaRkL3AD3R

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Piizzadude do you work for Verizon or HTC to know how the exact process goes?

If not than that's a pretty unsubstantiated claim to make, that Verizon creates the RIL for the phone. I don't believe that for a second Verizon has anything to do with the ROM. I believe they tell HTC they need to have certain bloat apps in the ROM, but ultimately HTC is the one who creates the ROM. Verizon just does internal tests on their network with the updated device and then distributes if it's good. That's how I'd imagine it works for ALL phone OEM's, regardless of carrier.

Could Verizon be the one holding the update back? Sure. If the last update they received from HTC was back in April and they never said "hey this update isn't any good, cook up a new one." Then in that case who's really at fault?

I have a feeling without an inside source we'll never truly know what's going on behind the scenes here.

What I DO know is I am disappointed in this device and HTC as a phone manufacturer. It will be my last one by them, and I will have to look elsewhere. I can't blame Verizon for their faults.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Piizzadude do you work for Verizon or HTC to know how the exact process goes?

If not than that's a pretty unsubstantiated claim to make, that Verizon creates the RIL for the phone. I don't believe that for a second Verizon has anything to do with the ROM. I believe they tell HTC they need to have certain bloat apps in the ROM, but ultimately HTC is the one who creates the ROM. Verizon just does internal tests on their network with the updated device and then distributes if it's good. That's how I'd imagine it works for ALL phone OEM's, regardless of carrier.

Could Verizon be the one holding the update back? Sure. If the last update they received from HTC was back in April and they never said "hey this update isn't any good, cook up a new one." Then in that case who's really at fault?

I have a feeling without an inside source we'll never truly know what's going on behind the scenes here.

What I DO know is I am disappointed in this device and HTC as a phone manufacturer. It will be my last one by them, and I will have to look elsewhere. I can't blame Verizon for their faults.

Nope dont work for either, but I will prove you wrong very simply.

Who is the one who gets the money for putting "let's golf" on every Fascinate, Charge, OR Thunderbolt?

That would be Verizon.

Even simpler, VZ Navigator is baked into the OS. Pre-ICS, you couldnt uninstall it. HTC/Sammy/sony/moto/lg/whoever didnt put it there....

DaRkL3AD3R

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Nope dont work for either, but I will prove you wrong very simply.

Who is the one who gets the money for putting "let's golf" on every Fascinate, Charge, OR Thunderbolt?

That would be Verizon.

Even simpler, VZ Navigator is baked into the OS. Pre-ICS, you couldnt uninstall it. HTC/Sammy/sony/moto/lg/whoever didnt put it there....

Says who? Just because Verizon is obligated by contracts to have those bloatware on their phones, does that really mean it is by their hands that it gets put on the ROM's? What makes you think they don't just tell these phone OEM's to put that bloatware on there themselves as they bake the ROM?

Just because Verizon says that bloatware has to be on the phone doesn't mean they put it on the phone themselves.

Either way that's not at all what this thread is about. It's about HTC failing to meet their own deadline of "end of August" and there is absolutely no arguing that fact.

DaRkL3AD3R

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
I am sorry but you are either being pigheaded or dumb. why would htc do work so that vzw can get paid?

Because Verizon is a telecommunications company, not a phone OEM that dabbles in the software world. They don't make ROM's, the OEM's do.

If you really don't believe that then look at the article about Motorola and their locked bootloaders. THEY do it, but only because Verizon tells them to. Doesn't mean Verizon takes the phones shipped from Motorola then cracks them open and adds these locked bootloaders to them. Same story can be applied to the bloatware.

It's common sense.

armeddroid

Apr 23, 2012
Visit site
That's an assumption. It's rarely that simple. There are always pros and cons involved and sometimes major updates can ruin what was otherwise a solid working device.

Well. For those who are aware, some either dread or anticipate it. As for others...it just a pop up on their screen. I agree there are pros and cons but the common opinion toward an update is the concept of either fixing or upgrading your OS. Not to anticipate a failure or to sabotage your user habit. Lets use the first 'maintenance' update as an example. For some it made reboots, GPS locks etc. either better or worse but the reason behind it was to fix those issues.
So IMO, if you hear of an update, you would naturally expect it to do something better for your whatever.
It just doesn't always come out that way.

-NX-7-

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Because Verizon is a telecommunications company, not a phone OEM that dabbles in the software world. They don't make ROM's, the OEM's do.

If you really don't believe that then look at the article about Motorola and their locked bootloaders. THEY do it, but only because Verizon tells them to. Doesn't mean Verizon takes the phones shipped from Motorola then cracks them open and adds these locked bootloaders to them. Same story can be applied to the bloatware.

It's common sense.

No sorry wrong again. Verizon demands that the bootloaders be locked before they leave the factory. Case in point: the sgs3 is unlocked on EVERY carrier but verizon. Why? Because they said so, that is why.

Convince me, show me something. I have shown you why it is Verizon and not HTC, but you haven't shown me anything to the contrary. Tell me why it isn't verizon.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

DaRkL3AD3R

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
No sorry wrong again. Verizon demands that the bootloaders be locked before they leave the factory. Case in point: the sgs3 is unlocked on EVERY carrier but verizon. Why? Because they said so, that is why.

Convince me, show me something. I have shown you why it is Verizon and not HTC, but you haven't shown me anything to the contrary. Tell me why it isn't verizon.

Wait, what? Are you completely oblivious and unaware to what you just admitted?

You basically just confirmed what I said. Verizon TELLS Motorola they have to put the locked bootloader on the phone before it leaves the warehouse.... dur? That's exactly what I've been saying all along.

Verizon TELLS them (HTC) to put this bloatware on our phones, do you really believe HTC cooks up a RUU and sends it to Verizon who then adds their own crap to the RUU and then says look here's an update. For real? No the logical path here is that HTC builds the RUU's for our phones, handles the RIL (since it's using their chipsets and drivers) and then Verizon swings a memo by "hey guys don't forget to add this bloatware to your update or else" and then HTC complies.

Honestly, brick wall....

Edit: I'm just gonna walk away and ignore this whole conversation of ignorance. Done getting trolled by casuals.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Lol... Trolled by casuals?
Pretty sure my post count is higher. Locking the bootloader is one thing, and that is not adding something. It is a simple thing to do.

Baking something into the os so it cannot be removed takes time. Time that HTC is not going to give away.

I am still waiting for you to show me something to prove your point. All you have shown so far is that you are on par with a boulder.

Hugely invested in where you are and kind of immovable.

Show me something, prove me wrong.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Wait, what? Are you completely oblivious and unaware to what you just admitted?

You basically just confirmed what I said. Verizon TELLS Motorola they have to put the locked bootloader on the phone before it leaves the warehouse.... dur? That's exactly what I've been saying all along.

Verizon TELLS them (HTC) to put this bloatware on our phones, do you really believe HTC cooks up a RUU and sends it to Verizon who then adds their own crap to the RUU and then says look here's an update. For real? No the logical path here is that HTC builds the RUU's for our phones, handles the RIL (since it's using their chipsets and drivers) and then Verizon swings a memo by "hey guys don't forget to add this bloatware to your update or else" and then HTC complies.

Honestly, brick wall....

Edit: I'm just gonna walk away and ignore this whole conversation of ignorance. Done getting trolled by casuals.

Verizon provides the RIL. Its one of the reasons the Galaxy Nexus was removed from AOSP a while back.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Verizon provides the RIL. Its one of the reasons the Galaxy Nexus was removed from AOSP a while back.

Without a doubt, that is proprietary info that they would never give to an outside company. Just like how to bake vz navigator in...

Thirsty1

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
To all who cry. Root your Bolt and enjoy. It's easy and fun. The Liquid/Jester build of ICS is the . It is an experimental build but it is pretty damn good. Don't wait on Verizon.

DaRkL3AD3R

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site

xda-developers - View Single Post - Samsung Stratosphere development?

You have been debunked. RIL is proprietary to the OEM's. I'm sure a direct quote from a phone OEM saying RIL is THEIRS won't be enough for some of you people. But fact is fact. And I'm done dealing with this.

You casuals want to defend HTC and shoot all the hate on Verizon but the fact is this delayed update is HTC's fault. Their phone. Their Sense junk. Their fault.

mookiekillsit

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
So people think pissing and moaning to HTC will help this situation?? You know what, it probably will. I'm almost positive HTC was oblivious to their users being pissed about not getting ICS on time.......

Anyone who knows anything about technology should know that release dates are meant to be broken.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
xda-developers - View Single Post - Samsung Stratosphere development?

You have been debunked. RIL is proprietary to the OEM's. I'm sure a direct quote from a phone OEM saying RIL is THEIRS won't be enough for some of you people. But fact is fact. And I'm done dealing with this.

You casuals want to defend HTC and shoot all the hate on Verizon but the fact is this delayed update is HTC's fault. Their phone. Their Sense junk. Their fault.

Casuals? Excuse me?

The RIL is provided by Verizon. Period.