Keeping Unlimited Data Question

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Hey here's another question. What happens to the upgrade date of the dumb phone? I assume it changes to two years out when we do this, right? So I can only pull this once per dumb phone line per two year period...

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt using Tapatalk 2

You are signing a two year contract on the dumb phone line to get the subsidized price. Upgrades on a two years contract line is 20 months, direct from Verizon ,some third party may require 22 or 24 months though. On the legacy family share plan, you can have up to 5 lines

cannon

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
ok well i think i understand what to do here...but i have multiple lines on my family plan...
line A has a dumbphone and is eligible for an upgrade now. (line B wants to use this upgrade now for an iPhone 5)
line B has unlimited data but doesnt have an upgrade until next year.
line C has a 2GB data plan with an upgrade on the 21st of this month
line D has unlimited data with an upgrade on the 17th of this month (this is mine and i want to upgrade for the Note2)
line E has unlimited data but doesnt have an upgrade until next year.

now what would be the best route to keep the unlimited data for each line, if possible. i just want to make sure i dont mess up :p

chuckawd

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
ok well i think i understand what to do here...but i have multiple lines on my family plan...
line A has a dumbphone and is eligible for an upgrade now. (line B wants to use this upgrade now for an iPhone 5)
line B has unlimited data but doesnt have an upgrade until next year.
line C has a 2GB data plan with an upgrade on the 21st of this month
line D has unlimited data with an upgrade on the 17th of this month (this is mine and i want to upgrade for the Note2)
line E has unlimited data but doesnt have an upgrade until next year.

now what would be the best route to keep the unlimited data for each line, if possible. i just want to make sure i dont mess up :p

I am going to attempt to lay this out here with the lowest possible level on confusion!!
iPhone 5
1. Use LINE A upgrade now to purchase iPhone 5.
2. Activate iPhone 5 onto LINE A to complete the process
3. Reactivate dumbphone back onto LINE A <--this deactivates iPhone 5 and it can now be activated on LINE B
Samsung Galaxy Note 2
1. Use LINE C upgrade to purchase the Note 2
2. Activate the Note 2 onto LINE C to complete the process.
3. Reactivate current LINE C phone back onto LINE C <--this deactivates the Note 2 and it can be reactivated on LINE D your line.

This should be it down to the nitty gritty!!

randalldavis

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
There has been a lot of talk about how to upgrade but none have dealt with my situation. I have the Nationwide talk share 1400 on two smart phones.
Thunderbolt on one and Rezound on other. Both have unlimited data. The thunderbolt is eligible for upgrade.
How can I keep my current plan and get a new phone?

Thanks
Randall

chuckawd

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
There has been a lot of talk about how to upgrade but none have dealt with my situation. I have the Nationwide talk share 1400 on two smart phones.
Thunderbolt on one and Rezound on other. Both have unlimited data. The thunderbolt is eligible for upgrade.
How can I keep my current plan and get a new phone?

Thanks
Randall

You have 2 choices I believe. First, you could add a line of service, buy a cheap dumbphone from craigslist or the like, buy subsidized phone on the new line then activate the dumbphone onto the new line which would deactivate the new phone freeing it up to be activated on one of your lines.

Your second option is to use someone else's upgrade and go through the same process as above except you can just let the other person reactivate their phone back onto their line.

The most important part for you to keep in mind is that you cannot use either of your upgrades or else you'll lose unlimited data on which ever line you use to upgrade.
Sent from AOSP Thundershed powered 4GLTE Thunderbolt

cannon

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
I am going to attempt to lay this out here with the lowest possible level on confusion!!
iPhone 5
1. Use LINE A upgrade now to purchase iPhone 5.
2. Activate iPhone 5 onto LINE A to complete the process
3. Reactivate dumbphone back onto LINE A <--this deactivates iPhone 5 and it can now be activated on LINE B
Samsung Galaxy Note 2
1. Use LINE C upgrade to purchase the Note 2
2. Activate the Note 2 onto LINE C to complete the process.
3. Reactivate current LINE C phone back onto LINE C <--this deactivates the Note 2 and it can be reactivated on LINE D your line.

This should be it down to the nitty gritty!!

alright so i will upgrade A right now for the iphone5 ..
when i get it i will activate it on line A .. then deactivate it .. then put the iphone onto line B ..
then for when MY upgrade for line D, am I transferring the upgrade onto line C?
that is where i am getting confused..
thanks for your help btw !

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
alright so i will upgrade A right now for the iphone5 ..
when i get it i will activate it on line A .. then deactivate it .. then put the iphone onto line B ..
then for when MY upgrade for line D, am I transferring the upgrade onto line C?
that is where i am getting confused..
thanks for your help btw !

In your scenario, you are using the upgrades from lines A and C, those two lines would lose unlimited data if it had it.

Sent from my Droid RAZR MAXX / Atrix Lapdock

cannon

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
In your scenario, you are using the upgrades from lines A and C, those two lines would lose unlimited data if it had it.

alright so I have to wait until the 21st to upgrade MY line D (using the Line C upgrade)? What happens to the actual upgrade on line D after that? Will I be able to transfer that to Line C? Then Line A will be back to normal right? Then what will happen with line B and E upgrade next year? thanks for helping i really appreciate it !

GregMargie

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
How are you able to do this with only 2 lines/phones that both have unlimited data???

I have 3 lines....2 with smartphones and 1 with an old flip phone. So I could do this between one of my smartphones and the dumb phone, but how would I be able to do it with the second smartphone?

Thank you!

GregMargie

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
The following is from another post that I started in the Carrier subforum. I will link that post directly when I get home.

They won't force you to the Share Everything plan. They only will force you to have teired data on any new line or any line that you use the upgrade on. If you do like what I did (and Dream S Ti), you can add a new line of service to your plan which will get tiered data (temporarily) and the move it to your unliminited line. You can then drop the tiered data off of the new line of service after you add it to a basic phone and then you can just throw that phone in the drawer. This will raise your bill a little b/c you're now paying $10 for a phone, but for some (including myself), it is still cheaper than moving to Share Everything.

Activating a new line to do this will be $30 per month before taxes! I have an old 3rd line that is at 9.99 per month and by the time they add all the tax it's $16 something.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
alright so I have to wait until the 21st to upgrade MY line D (using the Line C upgrade)? What happens to the actual upgrade on line D after that? Will I be able to transfer that to Line C? Then Line A will be back to normal right? Then what will happen with line B and E upgrade next year? thanks for helping i really appreciate it !

Only the upgrades from lines A and C are affected as you are only upgrading those 2 lines. Whatever line you upgrade has to be eligible for an upgrade. Lines A and C can be used for upgrade after 20 months if purchased directly from Verizon. Upgrade dates from lines B and D are unaffected via the method that you described. You cannot transfer upgrades, only upgrade the individual lines. You could of course move phones between lines at any time, but that doesn't affect upgrade date. Since you are not upgrading lines B and E, whatever date that is shown on myverizon is your upgrade date.

Last edited:

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
How are you able to do this with only 2 lines/phones that both have unlimited data???

I have 3 lines....2 with smartphones and 1 with an old flip phone. So I could do this between one of my smartphones and the dumb phone, but how would I be able to do it with the second smartphone?

Thank you!

You would have to open another dumb phone line to keep unlimited data since you have 2 smartphones and only one dumb phone

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Activating a new line to do this will be $30 per month before taxes! I have an old 3rd line that is at 9.99 per month and by the time they add all the tax it's $16 something.

Tax depends on area, but i am paying $4-5 tax for my dumb phone lines.

rbess1965

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Well boys & girls, something happened this weekend that caused me to go get a new phone and as you can see from the signature I'm now sporting a Maxx HD. With some creative upgrade options, I was able to keep my Unlimited plan on my line. My stepson, who lost his phone over the weekend got my Maxx but he lost his unlimited data. We upgraded this on his line which changed his account then reactivated it on my line therefore not changing my line. One word, Awesome.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Android Central Forums

johnriii

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
it's great that some of you are able to find a workaround on the unlimited data. sadly, any loophole we find is eventually going to be closed by Verizon, so enjoy while you can. I have two smartphones, and I am the "heavy" data user between the wife and I. I've weened myself down to about 4GB a month, so the shared data plan will only increase my bill by approximately $22.00/month. it's a price I'm willing to pay for superior coverage. the other 3 carriers have way too many issues with dropped calls and coverage, so I'll pay a bit extra for more reliable service. the fact that some verizon reps are "allowing" loopholes is no consolation, because I'm sure Verizon leaders will be clamping down on that sooner than later.

randalldavis

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
You have 2 choices I believe. First, you could add a line of service, buy a cheap dumbphone from craigslist or the like, buy subsidized phone on the new line then activate the dumbphone onto the new line which would deactivate the new phone freeing it up to be activated on one of your lines.

Your second option is to use someone else's upgrade and go through the same process as above except you can just let the other person reactivate their phone back onto their line.

The most important part for you to keep in mind is that you cannot use either of your upgrades or else you'll lose unlimited data on which ever line you use to upgrade.

Thank you. I have an old Verizon flip phone that I had deactivated for the Thunderbolt. It seems only fitting I use it to replace the Thunderbolt:).

Randall

MittenSportsFan

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
it's great that some of you are able to find a workaround on the unlimited data. sadly, any loophole we find is eventually going to be closed by Verizon, so enjoy while you can. I have two smartphones, and I am the "heavy" data user between the wife and I. I've weened myself down to about 4GB a month, so the shared data plan will only increase my bill by approximately $22.00/month. it's a price I'm willing to pay for superior coverage. the other 3 carriers have way too many issues with dropped calls and coverage, so I'll pay a bit extra for more reliable service. the fact that some verizon reps are "allowing" loopholes is no consolation, because I'm sure Verizon leaders will be clamping down on that sooner than later.

If you or your wife have an upgrade available you don't have to give up both unlimited plans. You can keep one for your heavy data line and your wife can use the 2gb plan for her line. You can call it a loophole or imply that it is something illegal or unethical with your quote ("allowing") but I think of it as managing your upgrades. The vzw rep actually suggested I do it last year when I bought my wifes iphone 4s. I was told they won't be ending the program because it is shrinking every month through natural attrition. Those that leave vzw, or don't have another non-unlimited data line to trade upgrades will leave the plan when they upgrade.
So you can choose to not manage your upgrades because an extra $22 per month is not that much to you, but the key phrase I read from your post is "weened myself down".
What is the point of getting a big screen, super fast 4g smartphone and then having to ration your use? Especially when you don't have to.
The $22 is not the point. The big screen and 4g speed is begging for data hogging video on the go and I'm going to enjoy it without reservation or concern. Netflix movies, streaming music, you tube videos, or anything else.
You can pay the extra $22 and ween your use down to 4gb rather than taking the 5minutes it would take to talk to the rep.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Android Central Forums

Bosgarage57

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
The big screen and 4g speed is begging for data hogging video on the go and I'm going to enjoy it without reservation or concern. Netflix movies, streaming music, you tube videos, or anything else.
Sent from my ADR6400L using Android Central Forums

*Stands up and Applauds*

If I didnt have unlimited, im not sure I'd want 4g to be honest. In the first day of my cycle, I used 6gb's. I bought a game on the ps3 and downloaded it through my phones internet. YES I pay for hotspot, and im going to use it, all that I can! MWAHAHAHAH

cannon

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
Only the upgrades from lines A and C are affected as you are only upgrading those 2 lines. Whatever line you upgrade has to be eligible for an upgrade. Lines A and C can be used for upgrade after 20 months if purchased directly from Verizon. Upgrade dates from lines B and D are unaffected via the method that you described. You cannot transfer upgrades, only upgrade the individual lines. You could of course move phones between lines at any time, but that doesn't affect upgrade date. Since you are not upgrading lines B and E, whatever date that is shown on myverizon is your upgrade date.

Alright well I understand that. BUT what happens when the other lines want to upgrade. Line A will still have the dumbphone. Line B will have the iphone 5 from A?s upgrade. Line D will have the Note2 from line C?s upgrade on the 21st of this month. That leaves an upgrade on line D for the 17th of this month. Then line B and E will have their upgrades next year. What will line B and E do to keep their unlimited data, if there is a way? And what happens to the upgrade on line D? Does it just stay there or?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Alright well I understand that. BUT what happens when the other lines want to upgrade. Line A will still have the dumbphone. Line B will have the iphone 5 from A?s upgrade. Line D will have the Note2 from line C?s upgrade on the 21st of this month. That leaves an upgrade on line D for the 17th of this month. Then line B and E will have their upgrades next year. What will line B and E do to keep their unlimited data, if there is a way? And what happens to the upgrade on line D? Does it just stay there or?

Any line that you use to upgrade on subsidized 2 year upgrade will lose unlimited data. Whatever lines you want to keep unlimited data can never be upgraded with subsidized 2 year upgrade pricing. You can switch any phone between any line without affecting unlimited data.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay