Keeping Unlimited Data Question

GregMargie

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
You would have to open another dumb phone line to keep unlimited data since you have 2 smartphones and only one dumb phone
Sent from my Droid RAZR MAXX / Atrix Lapdock

I also have 3 total lines.....2 smart and one dumb, and I would be happy to start another 'dumb' phone line except it would now be $30 per month. The dumb line I have now is at $10 per month! thats a big difference. I really hope they dont pull the plug on doing the dumb phone swap, because I dont have an upgrade on that line till Aug. 2013

BigMace23

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
OK so I understand the process here... I have an upgrade available on a non unlimited plan attached to an iPhone... so I just use that line to upgrade, activate it on that line, then reactivate the iPhone on that line so I can in turn activate the new phone to my line.

My question is though, do you have to do this process through Verizon? The RAZR maxx HD is available on amazon wireless for $100 less than Verizon is selling it for so I would like to go through them if possible. Does this process still apply or would there be hidden fees that amazon/Verizon uses to prevent it if I choose to go through Amazon?

Edit: Doesn't look like Amazon will work... anyone see any problems with Best Buy?
Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I also have 3 total lines.....2 smart and one dumb, and I would be happy to start another 'dumb' phone line except it would now be $30 per month. The dumb line I have now is at $10 per month! thats a big difference. I really hope they dont pull the plug on doing the dumb phone swap, because I dont have an upgrade on that line till Aug. 2013

if you are on a legacy family plan, a dumb phone is $10 per month. You will have to get a data plan for the smartphone, but once you switch back, the data plan will drop off.

chuckawd

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
OK so I understand the process here... I have an upgrade available on a non unlimited plan attached to an iPhone... so I just use that line to upgrade, activate it on that line, then reactivate the iPhone on that line so I can in turn activate the new phone to my line.

My question is though, do you have to do this process through Verizon? The RAZR maxx HD is available on amazon wireless for $100 less than Verizon is selling it for so I would like to go through them if possible. Does this process still apply or would there be hidden fees that amazon/Verizon uses to prevent it if I choose to go through Amazon?

Edit: Doesn't look like Amazon will work... anyone see any problems with Best Buy?

Why wouldn't the Amazon route work?

Sent from AOSP Thundershed powered 4GLTE Thunderbolt

anon(3653)

Nov 19, 2009
Visit site
Why wouldn't the Amazon route work?

Sent from AOSP Thundershed powered 4GLTE Thunderbolt

The Amazon way will not work. If you deactivate the phone from the line to move it to another Amazon will slap you with a large fee. You must keep the phone on the line you bought it for... For a certain amount of time.

BigMace23

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
The Amazon way will not work. If you deactivate the phone from the line to move it to another Amazon will slap you with a large fee. You must keep the phone on the line you bought it for... For a certain amount of time.

Yep this is what I found... Amazon will charge you $250 if you alter the line/plan in any way for the first few months... Anyway I'm haven't seen a problem with the best buy route, and I know that best buy will often price match online retailers if you ask.
I'm still not going to upgrade until mid December just so I can weigh my options (razr hd vs note 2 vs DNA), however I will try and get more information from Best buy and post it here

Sent from my CushZero using Tapatalk 2

hannsoft

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
I'm still not going to upgrade until mid December just so I can weigh my options (razr hd vs note 2 vs DNA),
Sent from my CushZero using Tapatalk 2

Stay in touch, will be interested in your thoughts. I'm doing the same thing - waiting so I can make the exact same comparison. I imagine the DNA will creep ahead, despite it all.

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt using Tapatalk 2

BigMace23

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
Stay in touch, will be interested in your thoughts. I'm doing the same thing - waiting so I can make the exact same comparison. I imagine the DNA will creep ahead, despite it all.

Saw someone post this in response to the DNA announcement, and these are EXACTLY my thoughts:
"2020mah non removable battery, only 16gb storage with no sd slot, and an impossibly difficult to reach unlock button means I will be getting the Note 2. Really disappointed with HTC. They had a chance to do something really special, and game changing, but failed. This is the reason their company is going down the toilet. Add in the fact that Samsung is actually better at updating their devices now, and im going to call this one a loser.

You do know that the original name for this thing was the Thunderbolt 2 right? That is all you should need to know about this thing.
"

Damn HTC this IS the thunderbolt 2... you put out a beautiful phone with top specs - awesome processor, camera, top build quallity etc, and then throw in the worst possible battery and no removable storage. How am I supposed to enjoy all of the things this phone can do if
1) There is no place to store all the great pictures you can take, the music you can listen to that utilizes beats software, and the apps that utilize quad core processors, etc.
2) You won't be able to do anything on the phone after it dies in 5 hours... large extremely high pixel density screens are not battery friendly!

I really want to love the DNA, but I've learned my lesson from the thunderbolt. I'm sure it will be great (as was the thunderbolt) but what's the point if I can't use it the way I want...
Now, I will still wait for reviews and some hands on experience in the store, so I'm not completely throwing it out, but as of know it's looking like it's down to the Note 2 vs Razr HD for me.

z71kris

What does that do?
Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
Saw someone post this in response to the DNA announcement, and these are EXACTLY my thoughts:
"2020mah non removable battery, only 16gb storage with no sd slot, and an impossibly difficult to reach unlock button means I will be getting the Note 2. Really disappointed with HTC. They had a chance to do something really special, and game changing, but failed. This is the reason their company is going down the toilet. Add in the fact that Samsung is actually better at updating their devices now, and im going to call this one a loser.

You do know that the original name for this thing was the Thunderbolt 2 right? That is all you should need to know about this thing.
"

Damn HTC this IS the thunderbolt 2... you put out a beautiful phone with top specs - awesome processor, camera, top build quallity etc, and then throw in the worst possible battery and no removable storage. How am I supposed to enjoy all of the things this phone can do if
1) There is no place to store all the great pictures you can take, the music you can listen to that utilizes beats software, and the apps that utilize quad core processors, etc.
2) You won't be able to do anything on the phone after it dies in 5 hours... large extremely high pixel density screens are not battery friendly!

I really want to love the DNA, but I've learned my lesson from the thunderbolt. I'm sure it will be great (as was the thunderbolt) but what's the point if I can't use it the way I want...
Now, I will still wait for reviews and some hands on experience in the store, so I'm not completely throwing it out, but as of know it's looking like it's down to the Note 2 vs Razr HD for me.

A lot of my thoughts right there...

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

hannsoft

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
Ok, this brings up another interesting point.

Let's say I'm in the VZW store buying a new DNA. I'm going to set it up on an upgradable dumb phone account. Now, we've gotta go through the whole thing of encoding a SIM and all that, right? I assume we do, so all of that gets done and the DNA is now assigned to the old dumb line. THEN I turn around and go back into the store and say ok, now we want to switch it to my unlimited account. Now we have to pull that SIM card out and replace it with the one from the phone on my unlimited line, right?

Markster1

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
No, dial *228, select option 1 which is program phone, enter the telephone number of your unlimited data plan and Verizon programs it for you ota.

The Nottinator

hannsoft

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
No, dial *228, select option 1 which is program phone, enter the telephone number of your unlimited data plan and Verizon programs it for you ota.

The Nottinator

Nope. *228 has no part in the 4G/LTE world. That'll play a part in reactivating the dumb phone, but no role with the LTE devices.

Markster1

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Really? So your saying it can't be done with your thunderbolt? I find that odd, I know lte is much different from 3g but i can activate my Incredible's with *228.

The Nottinator

hannsoft

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
Really? So your saying it can't be done with your thunderbolt? I find that odd, I know lte is much different from 3g but i can activate my Incredible's with *228.

The Nottinator

Yassir, exactly what I'm saying. The SIM card provided all the programming - that's its point.

hybridboy695

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
Hey,

I am still confused as to what I can do. I have a solo account with a day 1 thunderbolt. So I either add a line of service with the phone I want and then deactivate the phone on that number and then reactivate it on my current line. Right? Then I have 2 questions about that, what happens to that other line, I have to keep paying the whatever the price is a month to keep the line open, and then what happens to my current contract once it expires?

Well thats my only option right....Sorry I am really confused about this.

Markster1

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Hey,

I am still confused as to what I can do. I have a solo account with a day 1 thunderbolt. So I either add a line of service with the phone I want and then deactivate the phone on that number and then reactivate it on my current line. Right? Then I have 2 questions about that, what happens to that other line, I have to keep paying the whatever the price is a month to keep the line open, and then what happens to my current contract once it expires?

Well thats my only option right....Sorry I am really confused about this.

You have a contact on that new line you got the phone on so you have to pay the going rate for 2 years. After that you can terminate it.

Nothing happens after your current contract expires, everything status the same, you do not have to renew.

The Nottinator

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
seniorengineerdood