Keeping Unlimited Data Question

Markster1

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Yassir, exactly what I'm saying. The SIM card provided all the programming - that's its point.

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt using Tapatalk 2

There is a Sim card in my incredible 2 but it's not lte but i assume it gets updated over the air as well.

How do you activate an lte phone then?

The Nottinator

hannsoft

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
There is a Sim card in my incredible 2 but it's not lte but i assume it gets updated over the air as well.

The Nottinator

It's either not the same kind of SIM card or a SIM card has a different purpose in an LTE phone. I don't know the details of the technology like I should.. can someone chime in here who can explain this better than I?

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 2

hannsoft

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site

The Nottinator

I didn't answer the activation piece. As I recall it the SIM is activated initially there in the store and set up to your phone number. It then gets plugged into the phone and BAM, you're activated. The "programming" of the phone comes off the card.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 2

johnriii

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
If you or your wife have an upgrade available you don't have to give up both unlimited plans. You can keep one for your heavy data line and your wife can use the 2gb plan for her line. You can call it a loophole or imply that it is something illegal or unethical with your quote ("allowing") but I think of it as managing your upgrades. The vzw rep actually suggested I do it last year when I bought my wifes iphone 4s. I was told they won't be ending the program because it is shrinking every month through natural attrition. Those that leave vzw, or don't have another non-unlimited data line to trade upgrades will leave the plan when they upgrade.
So you can choose to not manage your upgrades because an extra $22 per month is not that much to you, but the key phrase I read from your post is "weened myself down".
What is the point of getting a big screen, super fast 4g smartphone and then having to ration your use? Especially when you don't have to.
The $22 is not the point. The big screen and 4g speed is begging for data hogging video on the go and I'm going to enjoy it without reservation or concern. Netflix movies, streaming music, you tube videos, or anything else.
You can pay the extra $22 and ween your use down to 4gb rather than taking the 5minutes it would take to talk to the rep.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Android Central Forums

I get it, but the problem with dealing with a Verizon rep is that they may be "allowing" this out of ignorance, not because it's company policy. just from a common sense point of view, Verizon would eventually like all of us off of unlimited data. they stand to make much more money if we are. I'm not saying this is illegal, but loopholes don't imply illegality. just a way around the system. believe me, if I CAN get around it in July when both my phones are upgraded, I will. but I'm going into it ready to limit my data usage, because it's a possibility I won't have unlimited data when I leave that store. I'm just being a realist. thanks for the info, BTW.

undertothenight

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
I'm not happy about having to pay full retail to keep unlimited data. I think it should still be an option for at the very least individual plans.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Chilly818

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
Ok, this brings up another interesting point.

Let's say I'm in the VZW store buying a new DNA. I'm going to set it up on an upgradable dumb phone account. Now, we've gotta go through the whole thing of encoding a SIM and all that, right? I assume we do, so all of that gets done and the DNA is now assigned to the old dumb line. THEN I turn around and go back into the store and say ok, now we want to switch it to my unlimited account. Now we have to pull that SIM card out and replace it with the one from the phone on my unlimited line, right?

Add a new line then switch that phone over to your unlimited number AFTER you leave the store.

The Nottinator

How much is a dumb phone going to coast?

elindquist1

Jul 7, 2011
Visit site
Interesting discussions and I think I know the answer to my question, but still want to put it out there.

My wife and I each are due for an upgrade in January, I am with the Thunderbolt and she is with the iphone 4. I am ready to throw my phone through a wall and will switch in January while my wife is going to stay put for a while. We both currently have unlimited. Is the only way for me to keep the unlimited is to buy a basic phone and add the new line and go that route? I really don't want to do that, but may if it is the only way to keep the unlimited.

chuckawd

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Interesting discussions and I think I know the answer to my question, but still want to put it out there.

My wife and I each are due for an upgrade in January, I am with the Thunderbolt and she is with the iphone 4. I am ready to throw my phone through a wall and will switch in January while my wife is going to stay put for a while. We both currently have unlimited. Is the only way for me to keep the unlimited is to buy a basic phone and add the new line and go that route? I really don't want to do that, but may if it is the only way to keep the unlimited.

If you want to keep unlimited on both lines then yes, the only way for you to do so besides buying off contract is to add another basic phone line to your plan and go that route.

Alternatively, you could sacrifice unlimited on one of your lines and have one unlimited line and one basic which would allow you the upgrade price but you would lose unlimited.

Sent from AOSP Thundershed powered 4GLTE Thunderbolt

chuckawd

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
I am using my basic line upgrade to buy the Note2 and will then be transferring it to my main line to keep unlimited data. Now, I spoke with a sales Rep last night and she said that I DID NOT have to first activate the Note 2 on its upgraded line and that I would just activate it straight to my unlimited line and by doing so it would not effect my unlimited data nor would I receive any additional charges for doing it this way.

I have always understood that you have to first activate the phone on the line you used to upgrade first then reactivate the original phone back onto that line which will deactivate the Note2 freeing it up to be activated on my line.

Markster1

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
I am using my basic line upgrade to buy the Note2 and will then be transferring it to my main line to keep unlimited data. Now, I spoke with a sales Rep last night and she said that I DID NOT have to first activate the Note 2 on its upgraded line and that I would just activate it straight to my unlimited line and by doing so it would not effect my unlimited data nor would I receive any additional charges for doing it this way.

I have always understood that you have to first activate the phone on the line you used to upgrade first then reactivate the original phone back onto that line which will deactivate the Note2 freeing it up to be activated on my line.

I wouldn't trust that information. I would be comfortable walking out of the store and then switching over the phone myself.

The Nottinator

chuckawd

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't trust that information. I would be comfortable walking out of the store and then switching over the phone myself.

The Nottinator

I agree because every single other source I have talked to says to first activate on the like that I used to to upgrade. I did preorder though.

poncyponce

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
Ok so I have a question maybe someone will know. I'm on a family plan with 2 smartphones and 2 basic phones my thunderbolt unlimited data line is due for an upgrade and I was wondering if I share my upgrade with a basic phone to get a new smartphone and then after transfer the new phone back to my line will I still keep my unlimited data

bjboucher

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
Ok so I have a question maybe someone will know. I'm on a family plan with 2 smartphones and 2 basic phones my thunderbolt unlimited data line is due for an upgrade and I was wondering if I share my upgrade with a basic phone to get a new smartphone and then after transfer the new phone back to my line will I still keep my unlimited data

Yes you will, only thing that has not been confirmed when doing it this way is how much it will really cost. You will need to add data to the basic phone line for at least the minute it takes to activate the new phone and no one in this thread has done this to see if you can just kill the data once you transfer the new phone back to your line.

hannsoft

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
I have really enjoyed this thread and want to thank you all for your contributions to both the conversation and my education.

You know what though? I think I'm going to go ahead and take the plunge to Share Everything. It's going to happen eventually - it's foolish for me to think otherwise - so I might as well save myself the hassle and just go now. I looked at the numbers.. My two smartphone, two dumb phone account, with 10GBs, will cost me exactly what my family plan costs me know. And we NEVER get to 10GBs.

I'm down to either the DNA or the Note 2. Can't wait.

Thanks guys - this forum really does rock.

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt using Tapatalk 2