Keeping Unlimited Data Question

primevyl

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
Sorry to hear that...I don't believe its inevitable..otherwise they wouldn't present an option...good luck

<<<?Sent from my Rooted (soon to be) 64+ gig Rezound!>>>

hannsoft

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
Sorry to hear that...I don't believe its inevitable..otherwise they wouldn't present an option...good luck

They're not "presenting an option" - customers have found a loophole and Verizon simply hasn't closed it yet. But as has been said in many posts on this thread, they will. Only a matter of time.

Meantime, the various other phones on my plan will all have upgrade needs over the coming months, so we will eventually run out of options. Moving now saves hassle.

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt using Tapatalk 2

primevyl

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
The only flaw in that is press release, which I am looking for to link, where the VZ exec says customers have the option to keep their unlimited plan if they purchase their new device without subsidy.

I'm glad it worked out for you. But I'm not letting go of a plan because one day it might not be supported.

hannsoft

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
The only flaw in that is press release, which I am looking for to link, where the VZ exec says customers have the option to keep their unlimited plan if they purchase their new device without subsidy.

I'm glad it worked out for you. But I'm not letting go of a plan because one day it might not be supported.

Oops, sorry, you're right - that is true. Forgot all about that. I was assuming we were talking about keeping unlimited while NOT paying full price for the phone, which is what I thought was the basic point of this thread.

But seriously, think of the economics. $600+ for one of these phones? Really? Think of how much in overage charges you'd have to incur to make that the cheaper option. Naaa, not me, that's nuts. 10GB in my world is more than I and my son would get in a month anyway.

And no - that's not why I'm letting it go, but it's a clever twist on what I'm saying! :)

TBolt2011

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm sure everyone knows this already, but in case it was never clearly stated...

I went in for an upgrade (Launch day TBolt here) last weekend with a sliver of hope that because the account holder on our family plan still had unlimited data, I MIGHT be able to piggy back off of that and keep unlimited for my line also.

No can do. They told me if I wanted to upgrade my phone at contract price, I had to pay full retail. I told them I was switching that day (free GS3 from T-Mobile? Yes please!) if that was the case, and he didn't change his answer.

So the absolute only way to keep unlimited data AND use your upgrade at this point in time is through the loophole discussed in this thread. No piggy-backing, so to speak, off of other lines' contracts at all.

Markster1

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
I'm sure everyone knows this already, but in case it was never clearly stated...

I went in for an upgrade (Launch day TBolt here) last weekend with a sliver of hope that because the account holder on our family plan still had unlimited data, I MIGHT be able to piggy back off of that and keep unlimited for my line also.

No can do. They told me if I wanted to upgrade my phone at contract price, I had to pay full retail. I told them I was switching that day (free GS3 from T-Mobile? Yes please!) if that was the case, and he didn't change his answer.

So the absolute only way to keep unlimited data AND use your upgrade at this point in time is through the loophole discussed in this thread. No piggy-backing, so to speak, off of other lines' contracts at all.

Never an option

The Nottinator

primevyl

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site

Not even for a second, did this ever work

chuckawd

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
I think we need to make a step by step guide to upgrading and keeping unlimited data and then either sticky it or make it stand out in this thread.

I will write it out tonight and next week when I verify that it works, I will revise the instructions.

Sent from AOSP Thundershed powered 4GLTE Thunderbolt

primevyl

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
I think we need to make a step by step guide to upgrading and keeping unlimited data and then either sticky it or make it stand out in this thread.

I will write it out tonight and next week when I verify that it works, I will revise the instructions.

Smart thinking

pblakk

Aug 25, 2012
Visit site
They told me if I wanted to upgrade my phone at contract price, I had to pay full retail.

Maybe you just typed that fast....but the above statement makes no sense. When you pay "full retail" you are not extending your contract. You simply would have purchased a new phone. Nothing on your account would be affected.

It's just that the term upgrading is used loosely but really means buying a discounted phone and of course extending your contract.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
You will lose the unlimited unless you pay full retail. And honestly...I gave up the unlimited for the share everything. I am actually saving money. I had 6gig plan but I never go over 3 for the most part so i lowered it to 4 gig. You can use the 6gig and if you get a corporate discount like I do....even better. If you replaced the dumb with a smart plan you'll still lose the unlimited. Like I previously said...paying retail is only way you will keep unlimited

sent from either my HTC Rezound or my Samsung Galaxy 10.1 tablet

chuckawd

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
You will lose the unlimited unless you pay full retail. And honestly...I gave up the unlimited for the share everything. I am actually saving money. I had 6gig plan but I never go over 3 for the most part so i lowered it to 4 gig. You can use the 6gig and if you get a corporate discount like I do....even better. If you replaced the dumb with a smart plan you'll still lose the unlimited. Like I previously said...paying retail is only way you will keep unlimited

sent from either my HTC Rezound or my Samsung Galaxy 10.1 tablet

So if I upgrade a basic line that I have to a smartphone and then reactivate the basic line back onto its line, I will lose unlimited data on my other line that currently has unlimited once I activate the newly deactivated note 2 onto that line?

Markster1

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
So if I upgrade a basic line that I have to a smartphone and then reactivate the basic line back onto its line, I will lose unlimited data on my other line that currently has unlimited once I activate the newly deactivated note 2 onto that line?

No

The Nottinator

Markster1

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
She is saying you have to pay full retail to keep unlimited. You don't!

You either upgrade a dumb phone line or add a new line to get your new smartphone then after you have left the store, you switch that phone to your unlimited line and reactivate the dumb phone on the dumb phone line again.

This will ensure you keep your unlimited plan.

The Nottinator

pblakk

Aug 25, 2012
Visit site
She is saying you have to pay full retail to keep unlimited. You don't!

You either upgrade a dumb phone line or add a new line to get your new smartphone then after you have left the store, you switch that phone to your unlimited line and reactivate the dumb phone on the dumb phone line again.

This will ensure you keep your unlimited plan.

The Nottinator

It doesn't matter, the store can activate your upgraded phone onto any line on the spot. This is not some loophole or secret thing...you're simply upgrading any given line but activating the phone on the line which happens to have your unlimited data.

chuckawd

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
It doesn't matter, the store can activate your upgraded phone onto any line on the spot. This is not some loophole or secret thing...you're simply upgrading any given line but activating the phone on the line which happens to have your unlimited data.

So you can activate directly to any other line without consequence? I will be getting the Note 2(preordered so I will have to activate myself) next week and I used my other basic line to get the upgraded price so with that said, I can just immediately activate it on my unlimited line without first activating onto the basic line?

I only ask because several sources including Verizon have told me that I had to first activate the new phone on the line I used for the upgrade which completes the upgrade process. If that is the case, I will have to get another sim card for the Note 2 because it will have the upgraded lines information tied to it.

TBolt2011

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
Maybe you just typed that fast....but the above statement makes no sense. When you pay "full retail" you are not extending your contract. You simply would have purchased a new phone. Nothing on your account would be affected.

It's just that the term upgrading is used loosely but really means buying a discounted phone and of course extending your contract.

It actually does make sense, but I definitely could have worded it better. I meant subsidized.

BigMace23

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
So you can activate directly to any other line without consequence? I will be getting the Note 2(preordered so I will have to activate myself) next week and I used my other basic line to get the upgraded price so with that said, I can just immediately activate it on my unlimited line without first activating onto the basic line?

I only ask because several sources including Verizon have told me that I had to first activate the new phone on the line I used for the upgrade which completes the upgrade process. If that is the case, I will have to get another sim card for the Note 2 because it will have the upgraded lines information tied to it.

I'd like to know this also... I've heard mixed answers

Sent from my ThunderBolt using Tapatalk 2

bjboucher

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site

I don't think this is accurate. I have gone through this and the store had to activate my GS3 first on the line I was using to upgrade, then they moved it to my unlimited data line. If they activated it on my line first, I would've lost my unlimited data. So, for a normal upgrade when you you're not worried about changing the line (i.e. losing your unlimited data) they can just activate it onto whatever line they want but if you want to keep your line the same, they have activate on another line then move it over.