Keeping Unlimited Data Question

Markster1

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
So you can activate directly to any other line without consequence? I will be getting the Note 2(preordered so I will have to activate myself) next week and I used my other basic line to get the upgraded price so with that said, I can just immediately activate it on my unlimited line without first activating onto the basic line?

I only ask because several sources including Verizon have told me that I had to first activate the new phone on the line I used for the upgrade which completes the upgrade process. If that is the case, I will have to get another sim card for the Note 2 because it will have the upgraded lines information tied to it.

Sent from AOSP Thundershed powered 4GLTE Thunderbolt

Dial 877-807-4646 to activate and then transfer. You don't need another Sim card as i understand it.

The Nottinator

hermes4

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
I'm in the same situation...I tried switching my 2 smart phones around (online) and it seemed that they would both lose their unlimited data. I went to 2 stores and they both claimed that "the phone was attached to the number" and that they couldn't change them w/o changing the plan. Granted, neither seemed too interested in actually helping me. I plan on following this plan: http://forums.androidcentral.com/ve...on-how-keep-unlimited-data-verizon-print.html but right now I'm not so sure it'll work....

Markster1

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Unless you are upgrading an unlimited line, you won't lose unlimited by switching a smartphone on it.

Another thing to consider, if you ever put a dumb phone on an unlimited plan you will lose unlimited.

The Nottinator

chuckawd

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
I'm in the same situation...I tried switching my 2 smart phones around (online) and it seemed that they would both lose their unlimited data. I went to 2 stores and they both claimed that "the phone was attached to the number" and that they couldn't change them w/o changing the plan. Granted, neither seemed too interested in actually helping me. I plan on following this plan: http://forums.androidcentral.com/ve...on-how-keep-unlimited-data-verizon-print.html but right now I'm not so sure it'll work....

Do you have unlimited data currently on both of your lines?

bjboucher

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site

If you only have 2 lines and they both have unlimited data you are going to lose that unlimited data on one of the lines if you upgrade at the subsidized price. No way around that.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Absolutely false... You can move phones around at any time without changing plans. I have done so many times. If you switch a smartphone with a dumb phone or vice versa then the data plan would change, but your voice plan would remain. The upgrade, however, is tied to the line.

Sent from my Verizon Galaxy SIII

angels728

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Ok so let me see if I got this straight. Me and my cousin have a plan together. I have had the tbolt since day one so I have unlimited everything. He came on the plan a year ago and we share only minutes and he has 2 GB of data. My upgrade eligibility is 12/7/12 and his is sometime in April 2013. If I transfer my upgrade to his line, I can buy the SG3 on his line and then transfer it to my phone? Then in April 2013 I can then again transfer the upgrade to his line again and he can buy a new phone?

paulmike3

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Ok so let me see if I got this straight. Me and my cousin have a plan together. I have had the tbolt since day one so I have unlimited everything. He came on the plan a year ago and we share only minutes and he has 2 GB of data. My upgrade eligibility is 12/7/12 and his is sometime in April 2013. If I transfer my upgrade to his line, I can buy the SG3 on his line and then transfer it to my phone? Then in April 2013 I can then again transfer the upgrade to his line again and he can buy a new phone?
Yes.

To clear it up for everyone, you need to activate the new device on the line that it was upgraded on (the second line that no longer will have unlimited data). You then need to re-activate the old device on the second line, and wait 24 hours for the SIM to become inactive. You can then activate the new device on any line (yours or anyone's) with the SIM it came with and keep the data plan you have (unlimited).

The key here is that the new device must be activated first on the upgraded (second) line. If you try to go straight to activating it on the (primary) unlimited data line, you'll get a message (online) that you need to change your plan to use the device (since the SIM is programmed and expecting to be activated on the second line). Once it's been activated and deactivated on the second line, that message clears and you're set to activate it on your unlimited line without changing the data package or losing unlimited data.

Source: My upgrade over the weekend - unlimited data for the next 2 years on my new, $199 DROID DNA.

primevyl

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
Yes.

To clear it up for everyone, you need to activate the new device on the line that it was upgraded on (the second line that no longer will have unlimited data). You then need to re-activate the old device on the second line, and wait 24 hours for the SIM to become inactive. You can then activate the new device on any line (yours or anyone's) with the SIM it came with and keep the data plan you have (unlimited).

The key here is that the new device must be activated first on the upgraded (second) line. If you try to go straight to activating it on the (primary) unlimited data line, you'll get a message (online) that you need to change your plan to use the device (since the SIM is programmed and expecting to be activated on the second line). Once it's been activated and deactivated on the second line, that message clears and you're set to activate it on your unlimited line without changing the data package or losing unlimited data.

Source: My upgrade over the weekend - unlimited data for the next 2 years on my new, $199 DROID DNA.

Make this a sticky

<<<?Sent from my Rooted (soon to be) 64+ gig Rezound!>>>

chuckawd

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Yes.

Verizon, over the phone, just said that I cannot make this happen. What a freakin major issue here.

chuckawd

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Yes.

Can I just go get a new SIM card instead of waiting 24hrs?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Yes.

you shouldn't have to wait 24 hours, or at least I didnt. Just activate the phone on the line that it was upgraded on and then switch to whatever line you want.

chuckawd

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
you shouldn't have to wait 24 hours, or at least I didnt. Just activate the phone on the line that it was upgraded on and then switch to whatever line you want.

Got it all taken care of at an actual store. Unlimited data remains.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

docampo69

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Yes! Launch day Thunderbolt owner and now launch day Note II owner. I have 3 lines (2 smartphone and 1 feature phone) and I was able to use the feature phone upgrade, deactivate the Note from that line, activate it to my unlimited line, and reactivate the feature phone - all in the Verizon store. Took about 20 minutes overall. Confirmed that I still have unlimited and feature phone is back to normal. Will keep my trusty Thunderbolt as a wi-fi device and as a potential back-up, in case. Followed the directions here (Thanks chuckawd! ). Will still lurk in the Thunderbolt forums since it was a great rooted phone - until those data drops at the end.

paulmike3

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Verizon, over the phone, just said that I cannot make this happen. What a freakin major issue here.
Don't do it over the phone. Walk into a VZW store, tell them you want to xfer your upgrade to your second line and use it to buy a new device. Once they do the purchase and activate it, verify your unlimited line still has unlimited data (this transaction does not touch that line, so unless they borked it, this should be fine). Go home and reactivate your old second line device. You then have a free and clear new device to activate on any line you want without having to change the data plan.

Can I just go get a new SIM card instead of waiting 24hrs?
Yes, that should work, provided you've already activated (and then deactivated) it once on the line it was upgraded on.

Yeah, likely the case. I didn't use the "switch" option on the VZW site, I used the "activate a device" option. This caused the SIM to be tied up until it went to inactivate after 24 hours. The "switch" option probably eliminates the need. However, as was the case with me, I didn't use the switch since I wanted the old device back on the second line. If I would have used the switch, I would have had the primary line device active as my second line device.

delynnie

Dec 25, 2010
Visit site
First off let me tell you how much I am starting to hate Verizon! Maybe not Verizon but definitely the store by my house!
Last nite I went to a store near where I was at, and inquired about upgrading my basic lines on our Family Share plan
and then transfer to the main lines, and he knew exactly what I was talking about, but it was the night before launch date!
So today I went to the verizon store by my work, and they even knew what I wanted, and had the transaction almost done but they
ran out of the white Galaxy note 2! So I made an appointment at my local store, and they flat out said I couldn't do it due
to some hogwash about losing the warranty on my "NEW Galaxy Note 2" and totally losing my unlimited data! I want to
try to follow the instructions on here to do it online, but my question is when you have to reactivate the feature phone lines
I don't phsically have the phones, my nephews lost them in the beginning of the 2 yr plan! I only have the phone numbers!
How does one reactivate the lines without an actual phone! I have been paying on both these lines since the contract ended
in February, just to use them for upgrades every other year! Do you need the phones to or is it just the lines to use this plan???
Thank you to this awesome community that has been part of my life for the past two years! If anyone can chime in and let me know
what I should do! I was all excited to again to be part of release day for a new phone!

Markster1

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
You need the esn or imei number off the old phone to reactivate it.

Personally, if those phones are lost, I would cancel those lines, they're not doing you any good.

Since you still have unlimited on your main line, just add a new line, get the note on it then transfer your old phone to that number and your new note to the unlimited number.

That's the only way I see it.

Sent from my Verizon Note 2, finally!

delynnie

Dec 25, 2010
Visit site
You need the esn or imei number off the old phone to reactivate it.

Personally, if those phones are lost, I would cancel those lines, they're not doing you any good.

Since you still have unlimited on your main line, just add a new line, get the note on it then transfer your old phone to that number and your new note to the unlimited number.

That's the only way I see it.

So if I do get 2 new lines and then transfer the notes to my main line and hubby line
Can I then suspend the new lines so I am only paying $9.99 plus taxes for my new
lines like I do now???

Markster1

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
So if I do get 2 new lines and then transfer the notes to my main line and hubby line
Can I then suspend the new lines so I am only paying $9.99 plus taxes for my new
lines like I do now???

No, but if you don't have the phones to reactivate or know the id numbers they are doing you no good. I'm assuming you both have smart phones right now so new lines would run you 40 a month unless you can find some old dumb phones to reactivate on there.

awiz

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
All, I have faithfully read through this entire thread and tried out a couple things on the Verizon website, without actually checking out. 1) I have a BB Curve, almost 5 years old, unlimited data, out of contract and eligible for upgrade. I believe Verizon considers this line #2 if it makes any difference. This is on Share plan with other phone and has unlimited data plus I pay for tethering. Phone is nearly dead. 2) Other phone is dumbphone (LG Envy) on Line #1 and is eligible for upgrade and $30 credit. The phone still has some life left in it, but may go in a few months.

I want to put the GSN2 on the unlimited line. I will start by buying/activating it on contract on line #1 and removing Envy, then theoretically I can switch it to the BB Curve line and get rid of the BB Curve. Then I can put the Envy back on its old line??

Some glitches I noticed on the Verizon website:

1) First I tried upgrading the unlimited line which of course got rid of unlimited, but that's not the issue. I kept Family Share, rather than going to Share Everything.When I went to add hotspot, there was only one choice, for $30. (I now pay $20 for 2 GB tethering).
2) Next after reading this I tried upgrading the Envy line to GSN2, and the website kept giving me problems but it looked like it would finally allow it. (credited $30 for $269 price then added upgrade fee of $30.) When I got to the Features page, however, there was no option to add hotspot.

Do any of you who have done this thing use the phone as a hotspot/tether for your laptop? (I've been averaging slightly over 2 GB tethering, with a crappy connection that keeps disconnecting me and forcing me to re-download data.) Is Verizon looking at me trying to upgrade the dumbphone and refusing to allow hotspot, anticipating my next move or what?

What about the person who said Verizon will charge full retail for the phone if I end up going through this process to keep unlimited data? I take it some of you have been successful doing this with the GSN2 with no suggestion that they're going to come back and charge you $400 more?

After I transfer the GSN2 to my unlimited line, I can then transfer the upgrade to my other line so I won't have to wait 2 more years to upgrade that one, correct?

Has anyone considered doing this through Costco Wireless? I suppose at worst I can go over there and see what happens. I'd like to get the Costco/AmEx warranty plus the free accessory package if possible. I'm probably asking for too much though. :)

Thanks much for continuing this thread. It's awesome.

Edits: 1) Does the fact that the old Blackberry doesn't have a SIM card cause an issue? 2) I'll note that by upgrading the Envy I lose my "new every 2" discount. (BTW, BB used to be the primary phone, but when we moved and changed the # on the Envy, the Verizon rep switched them around somehow. Maybe I should switch tem back first, if it makes any difference??)

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante