Keeping Unlimited Data Question

awiz

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
Sounds like delynnie needs to go on Freecycle to get an old but working free Verizon phone and then activate it on one of the old lines, then start the process.... ?

The problem with using new lines for this process is that the new lines will not have available upgrades, unless it's correct that upgrades can be transferred. There seems to be some disagreement on this point.

Last edited:

bjboucher

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
Awiz, not sure if you can successfully do this through a 3rd party vendor because they'll have their own restrictions on what you can do. Don't you have a Verizon store near you? That would be the easiest thing to do. Trying to do this yourself on-line could get tricky. If you do it through Verizon, you won't be charged full retail for your phone. I did this to get an SGS3 about 2 months ago without any issues. I used an upgrade from my wifes line to buy the phone, they activated it on her line which temporarily suspended service on her Thunderbolt. Then they moved the S3 to my line, keeping my unlimited data. Finally they reactivated her Thunderbolt on her line. So our plan stayed as it was and I was rocking my new S3 with unlimited data.

Not sure if that helps but like I said, not sure if I would try this myself on-line and risk messing my account up and losing unlimited data. Let a store rep help you.

primevyl

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
I'm definitely not going to try it online but I am going to Costco to see if they can do it.

Do the guys at Costco sell Verizon our are there actual Verizon guys there?
All clear if its the latter, else abort

<<<?Sent from my Rooted (soon to be) 64+ gig Rezound!>>>

primevyl

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
Any advice for people with only 1 line on the account?

My upgrade isn't until next year so if I add-a-line to get the SG3, can I still keep my unlimited?

With just one line if you add a line it could get cost prohibitive

delynnie

Dec 25, 2010
Visit site
Sounds like delynnie needs to go on Freecycle to get an old but working free Verizon phone and then activate it on one of the old lines, then start the process.... ?

The problem with using new lines for this process is that the new lines will not have available upgrades, unless it's correct that upgrades can be transferred. There seems to be some disagreement on this point.

I went to a different Verizon, and found someone who actually cared, and he made it happen!!
I used both my basic lines from my nephews old LG Chocolates, and purchased the Galaxy Note 2s,
and then he transfered the new phones to our Thunderbolt lines, and Voila we have unlimited
for 2 more years! Anyone in South Orange County, I did this at the Laguna Niguel store located
on Alicia, and Pacific Park! See you at the Galaxy Note 2 forum! I have some learning how to
use this Awesome Phone!

thundersome

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
I don't want to be a killjoy but I do just want to point out that Verizon holds the power and can yank that unlimited data at any time. I have no insider knowledge but they surely want everyone off unlimited and will be quite bold in the rather near future since more and more people are going to upgrade on contract and lose that grandfathered plan. When the number gets small enough and it becomes clear those people are either not going to upgrade or jump through Verizons hoops to keep the plan (That's all a test btw. A test to see how many people will contort themselves to Verizons will just to keep that unlimited data. And I bet Verizon already has its answer: Not many. Not enough for them to care about losing what amounts to a handful of customers in the future.) they are going to do away with it. Do whatever you want but just don't be shocked if/when Verizon announces the end of grandfathered plans and forces you to go to 2gb per month for the same price you are paying now for unlimited. My guess is July 7, 2013. If things leak the way they have done historically from Verizon we'll see internal documents about this sometime in May.

I know no one asked about this but I just though it was something you should keep in the back (or front) of your mind if you are trying to upgrade and stay with Verizon. Just my opinion of course but I believe it's almost certain to happen. Unlimited data will go away on Verizon. It's just a matter of time.

awiz

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
Thundersome, I did see someone post that thought previously which is why I am definitely not going to pay full retail. I did the calculations based on my data usage and I would lose badly. For those using 15Gb a month, it might work out. (Sure I'd like to watch movies on my phone, but I'm not going to pay $400 to do it.)

If the guys at Costco can't do it, I've located a friendly Verizon guy who might help. (I haven't found many friendly Verizon guys in Houston, but if you know of one please let me know.)

primevyl

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
I don't want to be a killjoy but I do just

I know.

Pay your bills on time. I used to work for Big Red. Good pay history goes a long way. This has been one of the few paths around "policy" actions.

bjboucher

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
Any advice for people with only 1 line on the account?

My upgrade isn't until next year so if I add-a-line to get the SG3, can I still keep my unlimited?

You probably could but unless you use A LOT of data, it would probably cheaper to just pay for your data usage on a limited plan.

hermes4

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
New to the forum...sorry for the delayed response. Yes, I have 2 lines with unlimited data, 2 lines with no data, all in a family plan. I'm going to try to follow the instructions you posted (thank you very much, btw), makes sense that it would work...but when I asked about it at both stores located in the greater Baltimore area, they both said it could not be done. I did not press the issue because the Note 2 was still on pre-order, so I will try again now that the phone is out. I'll post back the results.

Do you have unlimited data currently on both of your lines?

Sent from AOSP Thundershed powered 4GLTE Thunderbolt

TBoltJ

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
I have 1 line with unlimited. Could I add a second line with the note2 and keep unlimited for all? Or a stupid phone for 10 a month and transfer my upgrade. Further, when my contract on the first line expires in March, can I drop that phone off and still have the note on the unlimited? Thanks in advance for any help. I'm waiting on my 4th Thunderbolt replacement, need I say more?

bjboucher

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
I have 1 line with unlimited. Could I add a second line with the note2 and keep unlimited for all? Or a stupid phone for 10 a month and transfer my upgrade. Further, when my contract on the first line expires in March, can I drop that phone off and still have the note on the unlimited? Thanks in advance for any help. I'm waiting on my 4th Thunderbolt replacement, need I say more?

They don't offer unlimited anymore so if you started a new line, it will either be on the new Share plan or a single, limited (likely 2GB for $30) data plan. With only one line, it's really not cost effective to try and keep your unlimited. Your best bet is to probably just pay full retail for a phone, then you'll get to keep your unlimited.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
No, but if you don't have the phones to reactivate or know the id numbers they are doing you no good. I'm assuming you both have smart phones right now so new lines would run you 40 a month unless you can find some old dumb phones to reactivate on there.

Sent from my Verizon Note 2, finally!

You can have Verizon put a phantom phone on those lines, no physical phone is needed. You would still have to pay the $10 plus tax a month. I would never keep lost phones active, simply because if it is lost or stolen, then someone can rack up charges if they happen to find it.

Sent from my Verizon Galaxy SIII

Markster1

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
You can have Verizon put a phantom phone on those lines, no physical phone is needed. You would still have to pay the $10 plus tax a month. I would never keep lost phones active, simply because if it is lost or stolen, then someone can rack up charges if they happen to find it.

Sent from my Verizon Galaxy SIII

You would need the hex esn or imei id number to do that and previous poster didn't have that.

Sent from my Verizon Note 2, finally!

Cringey

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure if this way was covered but if it was I apologise:

Family Share Plan
1 Smartphone - Thunderbolt- Unlimited data
2 Basic Phones- No data

Thunderbolt is up for Upgrade. Any upgrade I do normally will lose my unlimited data and cost us like $20 more a month.
So basically paying more for less. (Thanks VZW)

Am I able to do this other path or am I SOL and have tto do full retail, since the 2 other lines don't have data?

Thank you.

bjboucher

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure if this way was covered but if it was I apologise:

Family Share Plan
1 Smartphone - Thunderbolt- Unlimited data
2 Basic Phones- No data

Thunderbolt is up for Upgrade. Any upgrade I do normally will lose my unlimited data and cost us like $20 more a month.
So basically paying more for less. (Thanks VZW)

Am I able to do this other path or am I SOL and have tto do full retail, since the 2 other lines don't have data?

Thank you.

Peruse the thread a little, this has been discussed. Bottom line though, no one has confirmed if it works for your situation. There is talk of adding a new smartphone to a dumb line using an upgrade and then moving it to the unlimited line and then killing the data plan off the dumb line but no one has confirmed if that works or not or what the fees are involved with cancelling the data plan.

awiz

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
Got the deal done. Found out on the Costco thread that Costco is charging $329 plus I wouldn't be able to use my upgrade credit. Didn't bother to verify. Went to Verizon. Turned out to be a good thing, for reasons I will explain. The rep. knew exactly what I wanted to do. She spent a lot of time with me and was very helpful. I went home, looked at my account, and found my plan had been changed. Went back, and rep called Verizon support and they said I changed the plan on 11/23 and dumped unlimited data. This had not shown when the rep was doing the transaction. The only thing I did on 11/23 was explore the cost of upgrading and various plans online. I had never finalized a change - if I had, I would have a phone in the mail by now since I was doing it all in relation to buying a new phone on my line. Even though it was outside the 14-day period to change plan back, rep spent a lot of time on the phone with support and was able to get my unlimited data back.

Of course I know rep is angling to get her commission on upgrading my other phone which will probably be done in next 6 months. She worked very hard to get that privilege and I will go back to her at that time.

My only issue is the insurance. There's the $10.99 plan (tablet plan, required for N2s and iPhone 5s vs. the $9.99 plan) and the $6.99 plan. Neither rep could tell me all the details of either, so I got the $10.99 and can drop or change later. Insurance through Best Buy or Costco would have been better. I'm going to go look for an insurance thread. I am very afraid of dropping my phone. It's gorgeous.

BTW, the rep tried halfheartedly to get me to consider other phones and other plans. At the point I left she had decided she wanted an N2 for herself (is looking to upgrade), although she had been planning on the S3 or DNA. The other rep there already had the N2. So much for Verizon's plans to discourage people from buying the N2. Rep still thinks I'm going to change my plan in the next couple months, and she made sure to put her number on my phone so she could handle it when the time comes. If transferring my upgrade to the other line works (haven't tried yet), then I will be able to keep unlimited data until it's phased out, supposedly next summer.

Is anyone else using their phone for tethering/hotspot? Now I'm paying $30 for unlimited hotspot, whereas before I was paying $20 for 2 GB or $30 for 5 GB, as needed. So far hotspot connection seems slow, but not worse than my old Blackberry.

Last edited: