4g turning off and on

Oldkey

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
Interestingly I switched from my unlimited plan to share everything and now my 4g works perfect. I've had to keep it off because it would turn on and off repeatedly. Once on share plan it works perfect.. Verizon couldn't stand us having unlimited I suppose.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Scratch that its broke again.

The Thunderbolt's 4G radio was the first LTE radio Verizon released, and they also included fancy gimcrackery to allow simultaneous voice and data over 3G as well, which was unheard of at the time. The Rezound received the same setup, then Verizon dropped the radio like the bad idea it was to start with.

It uses a different 3G band than anything else in the Verizon lineup, and its 4G implementation is clumsy, and not nearly enough work has gone into making it work properly because it was only ever used in two phones so there's little interest in writing better drivers for it.

I work in an LTE area and live 10 miles away just outside the LTE zone. I can't keep a stable LTE signal except outdoors, even a momentary connection to a WiFi access point drops it to 3G, and if a 3G signal is detected as even slightly stronger than LTE the phone will switch to 3G and stay there. In all of those cases, it requires at the minimum an "Airplane mode" toggle to get it to find LTE, and sometimes a restart.

I think I've seen it auto-find an LTE signal once it had dropped to 3G maybe three times in total, and each one took several minutes.

Honestly, I've simply given up. Settings / Wireless and Networks / Mobile Networks / Network Mode / CDMA Only. I acquire a 3G data signal a LOT faster and more reliably now once I go out of WiFi range, and I can hardly tell the difference for anything I'm likely to do when "out and about".

Oldkey

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
My wife has a 4g device and has no issues. It's got to be a thunderbolt thing. Luckly a friend is sending me his razar and he's getting the iPhone 5.. I should have it next week.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dedehammac