Launch Day Thunderbolters

MittenSportsFan

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
Is there anyone here besides me that is considering moving on from phones and relying on a small wifi-only (or data-only) tablet for their communication needs? I have a tablet at home on which I make and recieve phone calls, and carry with me an iPad on which I can make and recieve phone calls when connected via wifi. (In both cases, I use a combination of google voice, skype, and various apps to make all this work. Works great for texting, as well.)

One can go with a data-enabled tablet ($10 per month versus $40 for phone) or a wifi tablet with jet pack ($20 per month). There are several advantages to this besides plan savings: devices are cheaper and not necessarily limited to those available from verizon. The downside appears to be increased use of data (for voice), increased workload for device management (keeping more devices charged) and tracking/carrying multiple devices at times.

I am shopping for that perfect 5" tablet to go in my pocket for when I am traveling around without my bag of junk.

That is much to much hassle for me.
My perfect 5.5" tablet is the Galaxy Note 2. I plan on getting one in the next 2 weeks after you opening day'ers fix all the bugs and work out the kinks.
I did the same thing with my T-Bolt.
2 weeks after launch I knew of the battery issues and purchased my Bolt with extended battery. I haven't had any issues since.

I considered the MAXX HD but after all of the upgrade angst I went through with the T-Bolt there is no way I was going to get a device with an old Operating System on the promise of an update. Been there done that...
I trust many of you launch day T-Bolt owners (like Chuckawd) that will also be launch day GN2 owners to lead the way again.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Android Central Forums

hannsoft

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
Well my friends I lasted exactly 4 days into the Realm of the Free to Upgrade before take the plunge.

This launch day Thunderbolter became a launch day DNAer. The phone is magnificent. Shoot me any questions you might have.

Meantime my TB will stay with me, in a drawer. I will try rooting it and installing an ICS ROM (any kind souls who want to advise a COMPLETE rooting newbie on that, please step forward! ;-) ) and playing around, but then my beloved TB will stay safe in a drawer.

I loved that Thunderbolt and still do. I remember its pre-release hype fondly like it was last week. Rushed to get it on release day, all that excitement. It's a great phone done wrong, maligned by haters who have to find something or somebody to bully. The phone was never an issue, but it's OTAs from Verizon/HTC always were, bringing us new problems we didn't have, taking too long to correct the issues we did, and leaving a great phone with a tattered reputation.

Yup, I love my new DNA, but the Thunderbolt will stay right here in the drawer where it belongs.

hcrspec

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Yesterday, I was finally successful placing an order for a Nexus 4 for myself and one for my wife. Will be going the prepaid route. She wanted to move up to a smart phone and Verizon was talking $160 to $190 a month and a new two year contract. Delivery is 6 to 7 weeks away so the March 17 end date for our existing contract won't hurt so much.

MAXXTX

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Couldnt stand the TB anymore I got on craigslist and bought a Razr Maxx. Besides the battery the user interface is like butter! I dont lose connection and is fast. my contract is up in Jan

linebusy

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
I've never had to send the Thunderbolt in for service or have a replacement sent. Use it every day to its fullest for work on the road.
At the end of the day, we do have to deal with quirky issues that owners of other models apparently don't. My biggest gripe is that Verizon instructed me to disable 4g so that the data connection doesn't drop. I have the thing running box-stock, with only facebook and tunein installed. My reboots were becoming so frequent I did a complete reset. It's been pretty steady since, with only a couple reboots in the past month (vs 1 per day before the reset).

The one thing that seems to go largely unnoticed about the Thunderbolt is that it brought simultaneous voice and data to Verizon. That, in fact, has become a "must-have" for my next purchase, including on 3g networks (which rules out many devices). Camera be damned, it looks like the heir-apparent to the Thunderbolt on the Verizon network is the RAZR HD.

Eric The Duke

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
If only there was a Nexus 4 for VZW, I would have left the Thunderbolt already. I'm going to wait for the ICS update and hope some new phones are coming out.

BIslander

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
I was more than satisfied with my Thunderbolt, although it was a pain to keep charging and swapping batteries all day long. Then, I broke the screen. I upgraded to a DNA shortly after launch and I love the new phone. The screen is spectacular. DNA is thinner and lighter. Jelly Bean is fast and smooth. And the battery is much, much better. It lasts all day with moderate use. 16 gigs and lack of an SD card are not an issue for me. Flash is no longer supported. But, that is not a DNA issue. It's true of all newer Androids. I highly recommend this phone as an upgrade to the Thunderbolt.

My son upgraded to a smartphone at the same time and we lost our unlimited data plan. But, the limited plan includes the mobile hotspot at no additional cost and our total bill has gone down despite adding another smartphone to the plan.

simp_10

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
RIP Thunderbolt. Got a S3 yesterday. What a difference.

I did the same a few weeks ago. I rooted my bolt the first week and it was a great phone for me. Decided to go with the S3 and honestly couldn't be happier. Was concerned about buying a device that had already been out several months but so far it has been nothing but a joy to use!

t0ked

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I replaced my Tbolt with the MAXX HD and I couldn't be happier. The battery lasts longer than my Tbolt with the extended battery pack at half the weight. The MAXX HD is as bug as a phone can get where I can still use it in one hand. The S3 was just a bit too big for that.

I had set up my Tbolt to the point where it was my perfect phone. I probably wouldn't have upgraded were not for the Tbolt finding its way into the washing machine.

hcrspec

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
My Thunderbolt gave up the ghost today. We ordered two Nexus 4s on Nov 27th. (6 to 7 weeks delivery). I tried to activate my old T-Mobile phone on a prepaid $30 card from Walmart to check it out, but found that T-Mobile really doesn't want you to do that. After buying a card from Walmart and an activation kit from T-Mobile on line, the T-Mobile activation guy on the phone said no. So this afternoon I re-upped with Verizon and came home with a DNA for me and a new white I phone 5 for my wife. That's what she really wanted in the first place. Cancelled the order from Google Play when I got home. Only took one click. I'm a little nervous that is all it takes. Will keep checking my Google Wallet account to make sure.

Checker

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
Another first day 'Bolter here to say so long. I didn't want to change phones. When my bolt(s) worked, they were great. Unfortunately, they never seemed to work well for more than a few months. Aside from dropping data, each of them began rebooting more and more frequently, until they just became too undependable. Rather than fight it out with Verizon again, I used my upgrade to get a Razr HD Maxx. So far, it seems great, but I've only had it for a few hours.

Later, all! See you in the HD Maxx forum.

HTCTundaBow

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
Goodbye tbolters. I have moved on to the Nexus4 and away from VZW. I will miss my beloved kickstand and LTE, but I'm loving this Nexus and T-Mobile!

ddsdavid

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
Another day 1 Tbolter here. I jumped ship a couple weeks ago to the DNA, managed to keep my unlimited data and could not be happier. The DNA forum is nothing like the early Tbolt forum, very few problems and no complaints to speak off. Just a lot of praise for the DNA .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech