[sigh].......

designwebs

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
This is what they always say. They are stalling hoping people will forget or upgrade or something so they don't have to deal with it. I rooted and installed ICS and have never looked back.

Spacemaker24

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
I am trying to tell myself that I don't care about getting ICS but I check this forum pretty much everyday.

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt using Tapatalk 2

hannsoft

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
"Thanks for your patience". Love that answer. WHAT patience, dude? I'm all OUT of patience. Isn't that what you planned? Wait until all the earliest adopters upgraded and moved on, so that no one would care anymore?

thundersome

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
No new info huh? They're closing in on being three months late for their update to a year old os and they have NO NEW INFO! Amazing. Not even an explanation for what in the hell is taking them this long? We shouldn't really be surprised. They got our money. Verizon got our money. We mean less than nothing to either company now. That's why they release nonchalant tweets and facebook messages about the update. HTC doesn't care but actually Verizon does care about one thing. They want us to give up our unlimited data. They could lose all of us as customers and still be fine. So either leave Verizon now, get a new subsidized phone and give up your unlimited data, or jump through their hoops and never change your plan, only buy unsubsidized phones (not a Nexus though), and pray that they never just outright do away with the grandfathered unlimited data plan.

steve0617

Oct 31, 2010
Visit site
Well, two days ago (the 26th), HTC said they're working on a connectivity issue so maybe they're telling the truth about it not being cancelled?

Dunno.

Attachments

• tboltics.JPG
    tboltics.JPG
    58.2 KB · Views: 129

thundersome

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
A connectivity issue? In case HTC hadn't noticed there's a connectivity issue (constant dropped signal) with GB...RIGHT NOW. People have been complaining about that problem for half a year at least. And that's what is holding up ICS? Again. Amazing. This must quality for gross incompetence.

johnriii

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
yep...THIS is the primary reason I'm leaving HTC for good. not even the DNA with it's monstrous specs and decent price tag could keep me on HTC. first the Eris, now the Tbolt. I'm so done with them. I'm literally counting the days I can upgrade....7 months and 29 days. I'm done waiting for ICS, and IF it comes, I don't want it. they're going to have to cram it down my throat! :mad:

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
A connectivity issue? In case HTC hadn't noticed there's a connectivity issue (constant dropped signal) with GB...RIGHT NOW. People have been complaining about that problem for half a year at least. And that's what is holding up ICS? Again. Amazing. This must quality for gross incompetence.

Like I've said in the past, I believe Verizon made a change to their network (early June 2012) that is not playing well with the Thunderbolt, a change they probably made for the greater good of the network at the possible expense of issues with older LTE devices. That is most likely carrying over to ICS. Keep in mind the Thunderbolt was Verizon's first LTE phone and it had delays to launch due to "connectivity issues". As complex as Verizon's LTE network is, it wouldn't surprise me that they're struggling to identify exactly what the issue is and how to fix it. It could very well also be a limitation in the hardware of the Thunderbolt that is contributing to finding a fix.

yep...THIS is the primary reason I'm leaving HTC for good. not even the DNA with it's monstrous specs and decent price tag could keep me on HTC. first the Eris, now the Tbolt. I'm so done with them. I'm literally counting the days I can upgrade....7 months and 29 days. I'm done waiting for ICS, and IF it comes, I don't want it. they're going to have to cram it down my throat! :mad:

Personally, I believe users need to expect only ONE major OS version upgrade for the life of a device (which the Thunderbolt did receive: Froyo to Gingerbread), unless it's a Nexus device which is a whole other animal. Otherwise, you should only expect maintenance releases after that. It'll save you from the constant update anxiety and allow you to just enjoy the phone for what it is, not what it could be. :)

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I think the connectivity issues are probably pretty obvious and possibly unsolvable. The thunderbolt was the first on LTE, and the first to have 3g simultaneous voice and data. Verizon spun up a while new protocol just for the tbolt. They used the same protocol in the Rezound, which had a better radio.

With only two phones using it, they probably de- prioritized that protocol on their towers to make room for more LTE. As the population of these oddball radios dwindles, it'll slowly get worse as Verizon concentrates on LTE and wants to free spectrum.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

thundersome

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
These theories sound very plausible. The problem is Verizon is basically saying f you to everyone stuck with these paperweights for however many more months. No offers. No early upgrades. No waving of the ETF. No explanation for why this phone is not functioning properly. Not even an apology. This is just one reason why Verizon is not worth the hassle to me anymore. Good luck people sticking with this company but I'm out as soon as my contract is up.

mightyfacundo

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
With the ICS ROMs based on the leak that BAMF got, a small percentage of us who tried it aren't able to get the WiFi to work. I don't know anything for sure, but this might be the connectivity issue they're talking about.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Android Central Forums

Spacemaker24

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
I'm not really having any issues with this phone. I just need ICS so that Citrix Receiver will work. I'd also like to be able to run Chrome.

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt using Tapatalk 2

redcat22

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
I don't think the Tbolt will get ICS but I'm not angry about it (the reasons aren't important). I DO think though that it was supposed to originally get it though. I have no insider info nor am i an phone expert by any means. But i do have common sense and with it, i've formed an unbiased opinion/theory. Obviously Verizon wants their customers upgrading/buying phones as quickly as possible. With that said, why would Verizon say that the Tbolt would receive ICS if it wasn't true? Telling customers that the Tbolt would receive ICS would convince most people (well, a significant amount) to keep their Tbolt longer. This is why i believed it at first. Now, my feeling is that ICS was cancelled (for whatever reason) and Verizon/HTC (by who doesn't matter either) didn't want to tell us that. This is what is upsetting most people. Again, i don't think we were lied to about getting ICS at the beginning, but Verizon/HTC should have announced the cancellation of ICS. There would have been a lot less outrage, hard feelings, grumpiness, blah blah blah than just letting the Tbolt/ICS saga go on and on.

steve0617

Oct 31, 2010
Visit site
Since we're talking gut feelings, I actually don't think they've cancelled it. I think they got a couple of guys still working on it (since it's such a low priority for everybody) and they can't get it figured out.

They've cancelled other phones before and told so I doubt it's cancelled and they're lying to us. Maybe the damn phone just doesn't play well on ics.

Like was said earlier, it would be two IS versions of upgrades since it was released. Maybe we should only expect one major upgrade per phone (non Nexus)?

I'm not even mad anymore. Gave the phone to my mother in law last night. She was THRILLED to get a free smart phone and dump the piece of crap she was using from Cricket.

I've moved on. Probably done with HTC though.

thundersome

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
I think it's incredibly generous of anyone to let oems and carriers get away with only giving it's customers one update when you are paying them for a two year contract plus another $200+ for the phone itself. Just because it's become the norm doesn't mean it's right or fair to customers. We should demand phones get timely updates no matter if the delay comes from the oem or the carrier. If the oems can't support all the phones they release each year then I'm sorry but it's time to cut down on the number of phones they release. So we won't have the cutting edge tech every month. So what? It doesn't seem to have hurt Apple's sales.

I do take it back from before though. HTC has reduced the number of phones released from 2011 to 2012. The problem is they still released way to damn many this year and don't have the resources to support them all. When your company is going down the toilet it's time to do something drastic. Something drastic isn't releasing 10+ phones every year. Release one or two. Put all your time and energy into them. The One was a good idea. The problem is they released so many different versions of the damn thing.

redcat22

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
I think it's incredibly generous of anyone to let oems and carriers get away with only giving it's customers one update when you are paying them for a two year contract plus another $200+ for the phone itself. Just because it's become the norm doesn't mean it's right or fair to customers. We should demand phones get timely updates no matter if the delay comes from the oem or the carrier...

Remember that it all starts with Google. Android is their platform.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Remember that it all starts with Google. Android is their platform.

It does. And Google released "Jelly Bean Release 2" (4.2) a few weeks ago and 4.2.1 just came out a couple of days ago. My Nexus 7 is happily running 4.2.1, as are most Nexus devices (with the sole exception of the VERIZON Galaxy Nexus, which just received the original Jelly Bean 4.1 release a couple of weeks ago, AFTER 4.2 had hit the streets and months after Jelly Bean was on AOSP.

Google releases Android updates regularly. It's up to the third-party manufacturers and their carriers to update them. This is how it works. And Verizon has the unfortunate distinction of interfering with and delaying even Nexus releases, meaning they probably won't be given any more Nexus phones for a long time, if ever.