What if I happen to "lose" my ThunderBolt?

TBolt2011

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
If I should just so happen to "lose" my phone tomorrow and make an insurance claim, what will it be replaced with? Another Bolt, or a Rezound?

I've heard about people (one that I know first hand) getting a Rezound to replace their lost (for whatever reason) Bolt. Is this what they have resorted too in many cases, or is it just hit and miss?

Morally speaking, I am generally against what I am attempting to do here, just so everyone knows. I am only doing this because Verizon is going in a direction that is negative towards their customers, and I am trying to essentially break even on my early termination fee.

Vladabeast

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I did that with my old Evo 4G and they upgraded me. Just turn off the phone so they can't track it

Sent from my Galaxy SIII

TBolt2011

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I was just going to say I lost it at work (I load trucks) and for all I know it could be on its way to any one of Atlanta, Jacksonville, or Sacremento. Then there would also be a valid reason for it to have been turned off in the first place in that case.

hell_on_heels

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
If I should just so happen to "lose" my phone tomorrow and make an insurance claim, what will it be replaced with? Another Bolt, or a Rezound?

I've heard about people (one that I know first hand) getting a Rezound to replace their lost (for whatever reason) Bolt. Is this what they have resorted too in many cases, or is it just hit and miss?

Morally speaking, I am generally against what I am attempting to do here, just so everyone knows. I am only doing this because Verizon is going in a direction that is negative towards their customers, and I am trying to essentially break even on my early termination fee.

They would replace it with the same phone, usually refurbished but u also have to pay the deductible, usually 35 or 50. If they don't carry that phone anymore, you will get the next step up. When r u due for upgrade?

o_O WISHING I HAD WAITED AND GOT THE NOTE 2, ANYONE WANNA TRADE? o>_<o~

TBolt2011

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm due for an upgrade as of this past Saturday, but I'm leaving Verizon for T-Mobile (they got me with the "free Galaxy S3 after mail-in rebate sale last weekend, and that was the phone I wanted anyways). I guess I didn't outright say that, but like I said, I'm doing this to break even on my early termination fee of about $150.

So let's say I get a Rezound as a replacement, and pay the $150+$50 for a deductible=$200 expense... If I can get $150 back for a Rezound, new in box, I'd even be okay with being out $50 to terminate the 4 months left on my contract (although I'd be looking for a bit more, hopefully).

hell_on_heels

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I'm due for an upgrade as of this past Saturday, but I'm leaving Verizon for T-Mobile (they got me with the "free Galaxy S3 after mail-in rebate sale last weekend, and that was the phone I wanted anyways). I guess I didn't outright say that, but like I said, I'm doing this to break even on my early termination fee of about $150.

So let's say I get a Rezound as a replacement, and pay the $150+$50 for a deductible=$200 expense... If I can get $150 back for a Rezound, new in box, I'd even be okay with being out $50 to terminate the 4 months left on my contract (although I'd be looking for a bit more, hopefully).

Oh. Well, do what u gotta do....

dinger4u

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
I just got a replacement yesterday do to my charging port being bad & I received another TB. It was a CLNR but it looked just about like new. I was hoping they didn't have those in stock & would offer me a different choice, but no such luck.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Android Central Forums

TBolt2011

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
So the moral is that it's still pretty hit and miss. That's lame. Not that it matters or that I'm losing anything because I was trying to screw the system anyways, but still a bit disappointing. Meh, oh well!

willdogs

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
I just got an asurion replacement yesterday and after my $99 deductible they sent me a refurb thunderbolt. Looks and works brand new at least.

Dropped my launch day tb in the toilet :(

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
If you are misleading just to get a phone you are really a liar and should be ashamed of yourself. Its ppl like youvwho ruin it for honest people who do liar their phones or they become damages. Eventually you will get caught. There are consequences for your dishonest actions

sent from either my HTC Rezound or my Samsung Galaxy 10.1 tablet

hell_on_heels

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
If you are misleading just to get a phone you are really a liar and should be ashamed of yourself. Its ppl like youvwho ruin it for honest people who do liar their phones or they become damages. Eventually you will get caught. There are consequences for your dishonest actions

Ya know what, when phone companies won't do what they're SUPPOSED to do and replace a faulty phone, they deserve it. Who are u to judge anyone?! They wanna replace a POS with the same POS instead of doing the RIGHT thing n letting u exchange it for a different model, refurbished of course. Retail stores will let you exchange clothes even if they've been washed. I think it's bad business when companies don't take care of their LOYAL customers knowing that the phone is crap. If something ever happens to mine, I will run the damn thing over so I can get another one. But like I said u have no right to judge anyone, That's GOD'S job.

Last edited by a moderator:

TBolt2011

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site

While I agree with you in principle, I already pay $8 per month (over 20 months just for THIS contract = $160) plus I have to pay another $100 on top of that... There's no reason they can't give out a NEW phone in a sealed box at least for the first claim on each contract renewal. I have never made a claim in just over 64 months with Verizon, I have never complained about my contract, and I have never not had insurance (which I actually regret keeping, tbh). Now that they're forcing me to change my contract in order to subsidize a phone, I want to leave. Their shady business tactics (marketting the "fact" that share plans are just plain better than unlimited which is probably true less than 50% of the time) are something I completely disagree with, along with all of the changes they're making to their "new and improved" plans in general. I am doing this to cancel out being charged for leaving because I feel like I have no option other than to be completely unhappy if I stay with this company.

I know the contract I agreed to, and I am aware that it is 24 months unless I choose to upgrade or both parties agree to terminate it. I am trying to find a way to terminate it without feeling like I sat on a thick metal rod. So think what you want, but I have my reason in this instance.

Retail stores will let you exchange clothes even if they've been washed. I think it's bad business when companies don't take care of their LOYAL customers knowing that the phone is crap.

I actually think the point about retail stores is valid, BUT I think it is excessive that they're so lenient. As a consumer I appreciate it, but I can't believe that they do it from a business perspective. Lol.

And amen to taking care of loyal customers. 3 Verizon contracts for my line since I was 15 is enough for me. I was never even late on my portion of the bill, or anything.

ANYWAYS, I looked into making a claim and it has been raised, without my prior knowledge, from $50 to $100 now (I was told $50 when I signed my good ol' contract that I plan on ending). So I'm just going to eat the $150 ETF and move along. Still love my Thunderbolt and hopefully there will be reasons to stick around these forums, but, thankfully for myself, I plan on being done with Verizon.

Thank you, everyone, for the input on this though!

Last edited:

oberkc

May 27, 2011
Visit site
But like I said u have no right to judge anyone

But, yet, you are prepared to justify your actions based on your judgement of Verison...you are more than happy to judge what verizon is "supposed" to do, what is "bad business practice", what is "shady" business tactics, and how companies should take care of their customers.

I believe your proper recourse is to cease doing business with Verizon. Ironically, I suspect you will ultimately be most "happy" with yourself when you do the right thing.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Glad you changed your mind. Insurance fraud, aside from the moral issue, is illegal. I understand your frustration, I had a tb and had lots of radio problems with it. But making a fraudulent claim is not the way I would go about it. I would just send it in for warranty. Most likely, the new phone would have the same radio issues, but after a few phones, verizon may issue you another phone as a warranty replacement. I had my tb replaced by a rezound which was replaced by a RazrMaxx, all under warranty. Now, you will have to follow along with their troubleshooting including factory resets and clnr. But after say 5 phones all with the same problem, you could make a strong case for another phone as a warranty replacement. See if your friends in the same area are having problems, you can say my friends with phones x, y, z have no problems... Sometimes they will at first say no, be polite but firm, and keep asking in a different manner a few times, then talk to a supervisor. Try to call back a few times. If that doesn't work, email an exec. Finally, if that does not work, file with bbb and state ag.

If you follow the regimen i posted above, there is a very strong likelihood that you could get another phone as a warranty replacement.

Sent from my Verizon Galaxy SIII

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbyworkman1995