It's HEEEEERRRE

Status
Not open for further replies.

thundersome

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
Well they made some room by deleteing some of their garbage pre-installed uninstallable apps. Still I will be cautious and wait till there are reports in about how well the update goes and if there are any brand new phone breaking bugs. I will be interested to see if my phone actually becomes usable with 4g again.

dasaucemasta

May 10, 2011
Visit site
I already upgraded to a Note 2 and now use my Thunderbolt just on wi-fi around the house (youtube device for toddler...). Is there anyway to get this update without re-activating it?

Im in the same boat. I have a DNA now but still use my Thunderbolt over WiFi every once in a while.. is there any way for me to get the update?

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
Im in the same boat. I have a DNA now but still use my Thunderbolt over WiFi every once in a while.. is there any way for me to get the update?

All you have to do is switch the sim right? You can't just switch it, update, and switch right back?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

z71kris

What does that do?
Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
or you could wait a day or two and get a full RUU which I am sure will be posted to here or android police or something...
remember you can flash a full RUU in hboot, and DO NOT EXCEPT THE UPDATE IF YOU ARE ROOTED, PLEASE EITHER WAIT FOR A ROOTED VERSION OR UNROOT TO EXCEPT THE UPDATE!!! PLEASE LOOK BACK INTO OLD THREADS SEE ALL THE PROBLEMS PEOPLE HAD BECAUSE THEY ACCEPTED THE UPDATE WHILE ROOTED RUNNING STOCK!!!

Just some friendly advice!

phantomog

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
An adapter would work. I can jump between my GN, Razr Maxx, and Thunderbolt with no issues at all.

thanks. do you actually need to do anything online for the activations? Or is it simply swapping the sim in/out of the phones and the activations happen automatically?

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Better late than never, I suppose. I'm glad my TBolt will have this update before I leave it behind for the N4. I did read this on Verizon's info page and I was shocked: Verizon Apps, Blockbuster, Rhapsody, Verizon Video and Mobile IM app have been removed. I wonder how that came to pass. I guess I won't need to deactivate these from the apps manager! LOL

Blockbuster, for one, will be removed because the application that's on the Thunderbolt is no longer relevant. Verizon apps has also, to my knowledge, been discontinued. Rhapsody probably stopped paying Verizon the inclusion fee.

Verizon Video is a front end to an app that just says the service has been discontinued. It should have been removed some time ago when the service went away.

Now if "Let's Golf 2", "Rock Band", "Slacker Radio", and in particular the 10-times-a-day-force-closing "Verizon Backup" could go away...

Randomhero180

May 23, 2011
elementdesignllc.com
and in particular the 10-times-a-day-force-closing "Verizon Backup" could go away...

To fix this you have to open the app and go through a set up. The reason it keeps force closing is because it is trying to connect to Verizons new backup system and you haven't set up your account.

I had the same issue for a couple weeks and this fixed it for me.

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
Woohoo! Congrats fellow Thunderbolt owners! :) Never thought ICS would see the light of day. I still have mine as a backup (primary now a Note 2), so it's a perfect candidate for testing. :p I'm rooted though (stock ROM) and have OTA's blocked, so I'm waiting/hoping a full RUU will be available soon.

trainplane3

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
can you recommend an adapter that you use? Most reviews I'm reading people complain about the adapters getting stuck.

I used one like this: Amazon.com: Micro Sim Adapter for Micro Sim Card to Full Size Sim (Authentic, Precise, Made in Germany): Cell Phones & Accessories
It works fine. You don't need to use the sticker that comes with it. You put the adapter on the table, push the sim into it so it sits flush, put it in the phone, and power it up! It's really, really hard for it to get stuck. I've had no issues at all with getting stuck. Just pull the sim tray out all the way, and if you turn the phone upside down, it'll just fall out.

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
Word of advise for those who will take the OTA; be fully prepared to do a master (factory) reset after installing it. It's usually needed after a major OS version upgrade to clear up wonky behavior and get things fully working again. :)

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
To fix this you have to open the app and go through a set up. The reason it keeps force closing is because it is trying to connect to Verizons new backup system and you haven't set up your account.

I had the same issue for a couple weeks and this fixed it for me.

Thanks. After connecting, resetting my Verizon password, subscribing, restarting the app, logging in again, it's now subscribed and I'll go back in a little while and see if I can have it stop making the backups. I appreciate the tip.

EDIT: Yay! I was able to log in and set it up to back up nothing. And now it's saying that it's backing up 33.9MB of nothing (what?). But if a one-time 34MB upload over WiFi is what it takes to kill this monstrosity, I'll take it.

Last edited:

Treknologist

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Now if "Let's Golf 2", "Rock Band", "Slacker Radio", and in particular the 10-times-a-day-force-closing "Verizon Backup" could go away...
I think we can deactivate them using that feature from ICS. They'll stop showing up as apps on the app drawer and, in the case of Slacker Radio and Verizon Backup, they should stop working. At least, I hope so!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roshanchoudhary