Who is ditching the thunderbolt and who's keeping it?

jaboop

Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
I would just like to get a general idea of the amount of users still active in the thunderbolt community and who will be soon upgrading? And
  • if your upgrading can you say what phone
  • and why and if your staying say why? Thanks

grp00

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
Well, I'm still using my TB. I've rooted it and have just upgraded it to ICS. I've had nearly 2 years and it still meets my needs, but I'll probably upgrade this year and I'm waiting for the Samsung's Note 3 to be released.

oberkc

May 27, 2011
Visit site
I am right in the middle of my transition to a nexus 4 (I have both currently working). I will miss the thunderbolt and the verizon network. The thunderbolt remains, to me, a nice device and I am satisfied with it. The latest update, to me, made the thunderbolt the best that it has been. Were it not for a growing desire to spend less money on monthly cell phone bills, I would stay with the thunderbolt and verizon.

Treknologist

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Like oberkc, I'm in transition to a Nexus 4. My Verizon contract expires next month (in almost exactly a month from today), and I'm heading to T-Mobile the very next day it expires to activate the N4. I've liked the TBolt and intend to continue using it as a media player (so I'll be backing up my game data to restore into the N4 and then do a factory reset to wipe it and have clean set up for it as a media player).

Ed Witles

May 4, 2011
Visit site
Well, after dealing w/ GB roms, finally have something nice. Well, so nice went on ebay and bought two more. The last one was used in 7/11 and is in near perfect shape. Now my daily driver. My orig bolt, is now assigned to the wife. The 2nd bolt has flaky gps and is given to the lttle one and I'll activate it soon. The latest ISC has me very pleased since the hardware is still quite da bomb 2 years old. And beats getting new and either stuck w/ a big bill or lose unlimited.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Mine is still under contract until September and I don't want my company to have to pay an ETF to get rid of it, so I'm probably on it until September. Very tempted to go Nexus and Straight Talk in September, but I have the huge extended battery and an unlimited plan, and Verizon's coverage out in the sticks where I like to roam is marginally better than AT&T's.

oberkc

May 27, 2011
Visit site
I've liked the TBolt and intend to continue using it as a media player

Treknologist makes a great point, that the Tbolt will continue to find much use around my house. While it may no longer be connected to cellular coverage, there are so many options available for these little tablets that I anticipate many more years of use. It could be a small video montitor for my video cameras. It could be a weather display station, clock radio, Home theater remote control. It could be a phone for use around the house with skype or google voice.

no...the thunderbolt will NOT go to waste.

KenDroid

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
I've had my TBolt since it came out and I think it's time for an upgrade as well. I'm running one of the Infected ROMs(going back and forth between ReBorn V1.0 and Official ICS Debloated) and it's satisfying me for the time being. Other than the S3, nothing's really tickled my fancy, but this year I'm looking to upgrade to either the HTC One(if it comes to Verizon) or the S4.
*gonna miss my kickstand though!*-lol

808TBolt

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
waiting for my contract to finish next month.

for my next phone, i want the Note 2.

just not sure if we'll stick with Verizon or go to T-Mobile or Sprint. not really liking the new data plans on Verizon.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Mine is still under contract until September and I don't want my company to have to pay an ETF to get rid of it, so I'm probably on it until September. Very tempted to go Nexus and Straight Talk in September, but I have the huge extended battery and an unlimited plan, and Verizon's coverage out in the sticks where I like to roam is marginally better than AT&T's.

If your contract is up in September, then you should be able to upgrade in 20 months or in May.

Sent from my Verizon Galaxy Note II

wanzik

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
My Galaxy Note II came the day we got the ICE update. I didn't open the box for a day because I wanted to mess with the Thunderbolt a bit. I really liked the upgrade - kinda wanted to spend more time with it. But the next day I opened the Note II and switched to that. I'm really loving the phone. Way better battery life and I love the big screen. No kickstand though...

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
If your contract is up in September, then you should be able to upgrade in 20 months or in May.

Sent from my Verizon Galaxy Note II

Mine is a company issued one so I'll probably end up going full term on it.

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt

chuckh0308

Apr 3, 2011
www.welcomehomeseattle.com
I replaced mine on Thursday with the Galaxy Note 2. My launch day T-Bolt had a good run and I was happy with it, but after using the Note 2 for just a day, the T-Bolt seems slow and ancient. The Note 2 is quite an amazing device.

To Wanzik; Seidio makes cases with kickstands in them. I got the Active case with the KS and it's great! Been using their cases for a long time.

Unobtanium

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
My contract is up in early June. I am unlikely to change phones just because of that; I will probably pay full retail for whatever it next to retain Unlimited data. I want to see if Casio and Verizon bring out the next version of a GZ1 Android (currently seen in mid-October 2012 info as the C811) and what that looks and feels like.

ICS has made my Thunderbolt the phone it should have been on release. The radios are much more stable, no involuntary reboots, and I like the look and feel of this version of Sense. My only complaint is that the sound settings seem more flaky than in GB.

mman609

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
My situation is similar to that of Unobtanium. My contract finishes in June. This week I became available for an upgrade (of course with the $30 charge.) But I've been a lucky one. My TB has not had the many problems reported by others. The ICS upgrade keeps me happy with the phone - it does what I want, when I want. I too will likely pay full retail or buy a used phone in order to keep my unlimited data, as long as Verizon doesn't change the rules by then. I see no new or used phones available today that really make me want to abandon my TB. While many others have said "I never looked back" when making an upgrade, I really don't see how an upgrade today is worth the additional cost to me. While my data is unlimited, my funds are not. Someday I will realize it is time for an upgrade, but that time is not here yet for me.

jaboop

Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
So it seems like almost everyone is slowly moving away from it. I understand im on Verizon with an unlocked thunderbolt and since the latest update ive been happier than ever but eventually all good things must end. The thunderbolt is unfortunelty slowly dieing with all the other amazing phones out there its time to let the thunderbolt rest in peace.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Android Central Forums

jaboop

Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
One thing every realized was a major design flaw with the kickstand was the placement of the mini USB plug, honestly? But there is cases for phones with kickstands although I prefer built in

Spacemaker24

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
I'll have mine until September. I'm thinking I may get a Note 2. If there is a Note 3 coming out at around that time I'll wait and get one of those.

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt using Tapatalk 2

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
I would like to upgrade to Droid DNA, Droid HD Maxx, SG3, or Note 2 but it is a little complicated right now. I wish Verizon hadn't changed their policy on unlimited data and upgrades. I only have one line with Verizon and the Share Everything Plan is not to my advantage in money and data areas. It just makes my decision more difficult about how to deal with the upgrade. I trying to decide if I should pay full price for a new phone or take the subsidized upgrade from Verizon and loss unlimited data with higher monthly bill. I will make my decision sometime this year because my Thunderbolt is showing its age even after ICS update.

jaboop

Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
Unfortuneltly I'm in the same boat, I'm elidgble for an upgrade but with the loss of unlimited data I have considered switching carriers which I would also not enjoy but hopefully I can steal my other phones unlimited data plan, upgrade that phone then tranfser my plan to it :)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ellie10