Verizon 4g charge for phones

biggie_56

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site
Has there been any word if Verizon will be charging extra for the data service for the thunderbolt even if you are not currently in a 4g area.

From what I've found sprint charges a premium data charge of $10 on the Evo even if you do not use the 4g data at all. T mobile on the other hand doesn't charge anything extra for the 4g devices.

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I have looked briefly but did not find much on that. But LTE modems are $50/month/5GB and 3g modems are still at $60/month/5GB. Nothing I found was solid proof/word of what VZW is going to charge for phone plans.

SUB-dawg

Nexus Lover
Dec 5, 2010
Visit site
I have looked briefly but did not find much on that. But LTE modems are $50/month/5GB and 3g modems are still at $60/month/5GB. Nothing I found was solid proof/word of what VZW is going to charge for phone plans.

i sure hope the charge isn't $50 per month! i am hoping for a charge that is either free or $10

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
But isn't LTE USB modems plans cheaper on VZW then Sprint? I though I read something where LTE uses less towers and cheaper to operator then WiMax. But I don't quite remember so don't quote me on that.

Comineeyeaha

Apr 11, 2010
Visit site
My deductive reasoning says that there won't be a higher price. The LTE USB plans are $10/month cheaper than the 3G one, so why would LTE on the phone be more expensive? I think this is a competitive move over Sprint.

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
So far they are cheaper then 3g plans and cheaper to maintain since they use less towers. But to the normal average user, high speeds=more price cost. To us, we know a bit more and know it's cheaper to operate.

Droid hungry

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
as much as i wish i could say that verizons 4G plans would cost the same, i highly doubt it. Verizon is notorious for being the most expensive. But you do pay for what you get. I hope that they let us opt out at the least. If its a mandatory thing like that evo that would be incredibly stupid, especially since i live in Tucson, Arizona. No lte here for a loooong time.

Smitty_82

Android Addict
Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
as much as i wish i could say that verizons 4G plans would cost the same, i highly doubt it. Verizon is notorious for being the most expensive. But you do pay for what you get. I hope that they let us opt out at the least. If its a mandatory thing like that evo that would be incredibly stupid, especially since i live in Tucson, Arizona. No lte here for a loooong time.

I think we'll have to see what happens. They just lowered the price on broadband 3g and lte is the same price.

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
USB Modem are just annoying to attach and have it hanging there. At least I can keep my MiFi in my bag and use it.

largeselection

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
If they do charge extra for LTE (which I don't think they will) I probably would not upgrade to it. I don't have a significant need for faster data.

Anyone know how LTE compares to penetrating buildings/structures/etc? I'm in NYC and my service is generally excellent, but I have garbage service in my office building (other carriers have some better service). Does LTE penetrate walls better? If it does, that would be worth it.

Smitty_82

Android Addict
Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
OK, just wanted to make this observation. I have been on VZW for a long time and have never been on another carrier. With all the changes that have been made with other carriers it is my opinion that VZW has been charging a "fair market price" for their service. They didn't get involved with the price wars that the other carriers are having to recover from by increasing their prices.

I know there are people that have had bad expiriences with Verizon and that will play into their decision on what carrier to go with. For me, I have always been treated fairly and my service has always worked for me. It's a big decision on what carrier to go with, but I have always felt that you get what you pay for. Verizon has positioned themselves well for the next step into the "4G" market and if the past is any indicator, the transition to LTE will go well with little changes to the service plans.

Just a disclaimer before any responses start coming in (if any) I DO NOT work for Verizon or in the cell industry and I do know what it's like to have a large cell bill. I have 4 smartphones and a netbook on my account. Just food for thought.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc