what a let down TB sucks!

AllenRulz

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
Maybe. But, I asked a question in the Bionic forum about the type of RAM. Motorola states that the RAM is DDR2 desktop memory. I don't know how this compares to current mobile devices -- is it faster or slower? Why would Motorola point this out? What is the advantage? Not sure what this really means. But, if it's faster, then the fact that it's only 512MB may not be an issue.

Very true, I guess we will have to wait and see. Yeah I just commented on ur post over there about the TB being 768 lmao. But yeah, I do see your point...

Reactions: DolfanCole

BlackPrince310

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
My myTouch 4G has the same specs as this phone. I was expecting the Thunderbolt to have higher resolution or something but I guess not. It will still be a great phone, I simply love HTC's designs, but we should see some dual core HTC phones later this year. Keep that in mind.

So is the MDM9600 a processor or is that the antenna?

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk

AllenRulz

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
My myTouch 4G has the same specs as this phone. I was expecting the Thunderbolt to have higher resolution or something but I guess not. It will still be a great phone, I simply love HTC's designs, but we should see some dual core HTC phones later this year. Keep that in mind.

My upgrade is in May. So in your opinion, do you think I should wait longer to see HTC's next phone and hope for Dual Core? I just hope your right and there will be one by this year. I don't want to wait a year after my upgrade to then finally get a good phone lol.

tropper

Smarty Pants
Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Maybe. But, I asked a question in the Bionic forum about the type of RAM. Motorola states that the RAM is DDR2 desktop memory. I don't know how this compares to current mobile devices -- is it faster or slower? Why would Motorola point this out? What is the advantage? Not sure what this really means. But, if it's faster, then the fact that it's only 512MB may not be an issue.
DDR2 is faster as well as it a 1024mb stick compared to 512mb of flash memory.
Using the DDR2 is a great reason for that huge battery, so wouln't expect great run times.
But while its running it'll be a screamin demon for sure so buy there dock and keep it there right next to the desktop which has an I5 and 4gb of DDR3 1333mhz low latency lol
People are downing the Dolt like it will suck they've never announced the CPU model # or any real details. Except that it will be the first 4G LTE phone to hit VZW in Q1 2011

BlackPrince310

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
My upgrade is in May. So in your opinion, do you think I should wait longer to see HTC's next phone and hope for Dual Core? I just hope your right and there will be one by this year. I don't want to wait a year after my upgrade to then finally get a good phone lol.
Wait. By May we will have heard a lot more about HTC/Samsung's Dual core devices.

DolfanCole

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
DDR2 is faster as well as it a 1024mb stick compared to 512mb of flash memory.
Using the DDR2 is a great reason for that huge battery, so wouln't expect great run times.
But while its running it'll be a screamin demon for sure so buy there dock and keep it there right next to the desktop which has an I5 and 4gb of DDR3 1333mhz low latency lol
People are downing the Dolt like it will suck they've never announced the CPU model # or any real details. Except that it will be the first 4G LTE phone to hit VZW in Q1 2011

I think there will be definitely a concern about the battery life. I'll definitely have to see how that goes.

Also, I don't think anybody is saying that the TB will suck (thread title notwithstanding). I think it's more disappointment than anything else. Most of us expected more.

I haven't seen it on HTC's website specifically, but Qualcomm's press release states that their MSM8655 and MDM9600 chips will be unveiled at CES and are used to power LTE devices introduced by Verizon. Connecting the dots would seem to indicate that these are the chips used in the TB.

Qualcomm?s Snapdragon Processor And LTE Modem Power Connectivity Devices On Verizon Wireless? New 4G LTE Network

.46caliber

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site

Check my previous post. I pulled the info from HTC's site.

MDM9600 is the chipset that uses the antennas. It is not the CPU. It processes the LTE and EvDo networks Verizin uses. The CPU chipset is MSM8655. The CPU chipset for the 4G is MSM8255. GSM vs. CDMA support essentially.

Last edited:

biff6789

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
To expect this to be dual core was a bit of a stretch ok. But you mean to tell me they shelved this phone from its Nov release to January or whenever for LTE? No updated screen, no Gingerbread, no updated RAM, same battery. And they didn't either bother to give it a 1.2 ghz processor.

So yes, for many this was a disappointment. If you knew this all along. Then good for you. Wish you would've shared this information with us 6 months ago so we wouldn't have waited.

I know a guy who works for Verizon and, while he himself wasn't a tester, a few of his friends in the company were and he got to actually see a working prototype of this phone way back in Fall of last year. The interesting thing he mentioned was that the test units of this phone back then were only 3G capable, and could not run on 4G LTE

Perhaps Verizon originally intended to launch this phone back in November before the holidays (which would have made it a monster of a phone back then), but then decided at the last minute before mass production to sit on it another few months in order to get it ready for when the LTE network went live. If true, it would explain why this device has been held onto for so long (prototypes debuted last August!!) and then released late while other phones have better hardware. At that point it would have been easy to switch out the radio, but it would have taken way too much time to go back to square 1 and rebuilt an entirely new TB with a whole new motherboard, processor, screen, etc... So they just switched the radio and kept the hardware the same.

Also, in regards to talk of the processor over the last few pages, the TB has the newer 2nd gen processor which will be more power efficient and has a better GPU than the Inc and the EVO. This sucker should also be easy to overclock. Hell, the G2 can be OC'd to 1.8GHz without breaking a sweat. So I fully expect this thing to hit 2 gigs with a custom kernel. Like someone else already said: I'd rather have more RAM and a slower proc that can be crazy OC'd than a phone with less RAM but a dual-core chip (which the Android OS isn't even fully capable of utilizing yet).

But to each his own; each of the new phones revealed at CES has its own pros and cons. I like that we have a choice between this phone or the Bionic or one of the new Samsungs - unlike the iPhone fanbois who are stuck with whatever Apple wants to give them whether they like it or not :D

bkorver

Mar 17, 2010
Visit site
I agree with biff. Did anyone notice on the RUU system dump that there was a slate.apk in the mix? Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't HTC working on an android tablet rumored to be called the Slate? I think a lot of people are rushing to judgement on this phone without ever holding it in their hands... I think there are many gems in this "pig" yet to be fully explored. Dual Core does not a faster phone make...

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
According to Qualcomm's site, the Incredible and EVO are 1st Gen Snapdragons. The G2 and Thunderbolt are 2nd Gen. However, there are 3rd gen dual CPUs listed. They have shipped, but I couldn't find anything on where they were headed. Those dual cores are available in 1.2 and 1.5 speeds.

The 3rd generation chips won't be shipping until next year.

SpaceHippie

Journeyman
Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
I agree with biff. Did anyone notice on the RUU system dump that there was a slate.apk in the mix? Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't HTC working on an android tablet rumored to be called the Slate? I think a lot of people are rushing to judgement on this phone without ever holding it in their hands... I think there are many gems in this "pig" yet to be fully explored. Dual Core does not a faster phone make...

Exactly. From my understanding, the bionic is not gonna be mind blowingly faster than the TB. It will just multitask better. Meaning switching to another app without waiting for it to load back up

zero157h7

Jul 25, 2010
Visit site

Scribe is the name they trademarked.

biff6789

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site

The chip in the TB is second generation (which is still quite superior to the first gen chips in the Evo and the Incredible).

Follow this link to Qualcomm's own site and then click the "Product Details" tab, you will see that this chip is 2nd gen:

Qualcomm Products and Services - The Snapdragon?„? Platform

You can also follow this chart at wikipedia which shows that this is the most advanced of the second gen chips, with the upcoming third gen chips all being dual-core with a better GPU:

Snapdragon (System on Chip) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Bushido Brown

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
TitansJonne said:
Exactly. From my understanding, the bionic is not gonna be mind blowingly faster than the TB. It will just multitask better. Meaning switching to another app without waiting for it to load back up

This already happens with our current crop of Verizon Androids. Why would the Thunderbolt be any different. The extra horsepower of the Bionic is more or less to drive that huge high res display, and to enable 1080p output. I doubt you're going to see any significant difference between navigating the UI, or opening and closing an app.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
armeniomanuel