thunderbolt release before iPhone?

honex97

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
Ive been surfing the web and Ive been reading something about Verizon reps were told today that the thunderbolt would be releasing before the iPhone 4. has anyone heard this or is this just wishful thinking?

eternale0

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
I know nothing more then anyone else so take this with a grain of salt but I went to a local Verizon store today and...he said no 4G LTE phones until June. My contract with my current provider ends in a month! I'm excited to finally take the leap into the android world, but waiting till June is disappointing to say the least...Hopefully he's wrong. He basically told me to suck it up, wait it out and not bother getting anything until then because I'd be stuck paying full price for the thunderbolt...

honex97

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
I know nothing more then anyone else so take this with a grain of salt but I went to a local Verizon store today and...he said no 4G LTE phones until June. My contract with my current provider ends in a month! I'm excited to finally take the leap into the android world, but waiting till June is disappointing to say the least...Hopefully he's wrong. He basically told me to suck it up, wait it out and not bother getting anything until then because I'd be stuck paying full price for the thunderbolt...

Well that can't be right because at CES they said the bionic would be out early 2qt so that's in April and the thunderbolt is supposed to be out before that or so I thoight

eternale0

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Ya that could be the case but the town that store is in definitely falls into a "yes 4G is available right now" on the verizon.com map... But who knows what that really means

Haso17

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
If you guys saw about a week before CES, there was a post that the Tbolt and the no name Samsung were put into inventory onto verizons database. Expect a release about late Jan. early Feb. As for the LTE service not being available, it most certainly is in the specific areas. Most VZ execs are already sporting the network and the current LTE laptop cards work off of it.

NickF227

Jan 24, 2010
Visit site
I hope it comes before then, because my Eris is on its last legs, and my contract is up a week before my birthday, Feb 27, and I'd kinda like a new phone, and I don't wanna have to get an iPhone or an outdated Android.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Verizon store reps are trained to sell what you have today, which means they don't know squat because if they did they certainly wouldn't tell us anyways. They have to meet quota.

douglaswilson

Dec 19, 2009
Visit site
4G is available now!

4G phone service is available now in certain locations (Houston). Why does everyone keep saying its not available yet? If the Thunderbolt comes out first I will get that otherwise it looks like it will be the iPhone!

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
4G phone service is available now in certain locations (Houston). Why does everyone keep saying its not available yet? If the Thunderbolt comes out first I will get that otherwise it looks like it will be the iPhone!

I think he's talking about consumer handsets. It is available, but only through data cards.

DolfanCole

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
Verizon has stated in their press releases that the 4G phones they introduced at CES (which have been the only 4G phones introduced by them, and includes the Thunderbolt) will not be released until March at the earliest. I'm taking their word on this.

hydroz_23

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Wrong! 4G service is available NOW in certain markets across the country.

Not for phones! That was my point in my op. It is for phones in a couple areas for phones for testing not for consumers like Houston and Vegas. Just because it exists does not mean it is available

Last edited:

Armyntt

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
I wish the TB would release before the Iphone. I want the TB but i dont wanna wait till March. I feel like itll be so outdated within 6 mos. Id wait for the Bionic if it released in March but i dont want to till march for an EVO. Even then im not gettin the Bionic if its bootloader is locked.

DolfanCole

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
I wish the TB would release before the Iphone. I want the TB but i dont wanna wait till March. I feel like itll be so outdated within 6 mos. Id wait for the Bionic if it released in March but i dont want to till march for an EVO. Even then im not gettin the Bionic if its bootloader is locked.

You are not alone my friend. That's part of the big debate and hard decisions people are going through, including myself. With the expected release date of the TBolt being March and the Bionic soon to follow (some have speculated mid-April), then you'll have basically a month separation between devices where one strictly hardware-wise is much better than the other. So why would one wait until March to get the TBolt, when you could wait a month longer to get a better spec'd device in the Bionic? Well, when you start also considering Sense vs. Blur, locked bootloader vs. openness, promptness of updates, etc., that's when things get tilted back towards the "lower spec'd" device. Decisions, decisions ... Tough shoes to be in. But, you've got company.

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
Verizon won't release a better phone (TB) before the iphone because it could hurt their sales. I think we'll see the TB release a few weeks after the iphone and then the Bionic a month or two after the TB (these are just guesses I have no facts).

bkorver

Mar 17, 2010
Visit site
Well, when you start also considering Sense vs. Blur, locked bootloader vs. openness, promptness of updates, etc., that's when things get tilted back towards the "lower spec'd" device. Decisions, decisions ... Tough shoes to be in. But, you've got company.

Well said. +1

loyolacs

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
i switched over this week from ATT to verizon and got two HTC incredibles off Amazon for a penny each. i wanted to wait for the thunderbolt, but my wife and i both need knew phones. Fortunately, we are going to be adding a line around May for my daughter so i will be able to get whichever new phone is best at that time and give my incredible to my daughter. Im definately leaning towards the thunderbolt though since i have used HTC Sense with my Tilt and Tilt 2 for about 3 years now. Guess i will wait and see if the Bionic is worth the switch away from Sense, but meanwhile i will enjoy my free phones knowing i will be getting a new one in 5 months. Also will be able to upgrade my line again next january because i will be grandfathered in before the new policies take effect on Jan 16th.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463