Video Calling - 4G/WiFi Only... No 3G

generous

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
So looking at the official thunderbolt page at verizon's website, I'm a little bit sad to see that verizon will only allow skype video calling over 4G and WiFi.

Considering LTE is not even on the 'coming soon' roadmap for my area, looks like my next phone would feature a glorified digital mirror. :(

Discuss.

tropper

Smarty Pants
Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Lol so then the yphone wont have F2F callin over the net on VZW either!
I think verizon is doing that in order to circumvent the prob ATT had, the 3g network is so bogged down you would have such a choppy face-call it would be horrible. Heck my 3G speed slows to half by 10am here, cause of the data traffic is so high.

mauvil

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
is it possible to use tango with the 3g for f2f until the 4g gets to my area? or is there another way to use f2f without 4g?

.46caliber

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
Would you really want to use 3G for this? That's a lot of data that needs a faster connection. WiFi/4G is the way to go for this feature.

cjohnson481

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
skype will be available after launch and will work over wifi/4g and, drumrolllllll 3g. im sure everyone will get leaked pictures to prove this statement sometime in the coming days...

cjohnson481

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
Would you really want to use 3G for this? That's a lot of data that needs a faster connection. WiFi/4G is the way to go for this feature.

skype 3.0 on the iphone actually works quite well over 3g, and it will be compatible with that on android. more than what can be said for facetime.

mauvil

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
skype will be available after launch and will work over wifi/4g and, drumrolllllll 3g. im sure everyone will get leaked pictures to prove this statement sometime in the coming days...

Great! thats what I needed to know.. I dont get wifi/4g at work and want to be able to f2f with my daughter, she has a itouch/wifi, when she is home..:cool:

tropper

Smarty Pants
Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Great! thats what I needed to know.. I dont get wifi/4g at work and want to be able to f2f with my daughter, she has a itouch/wifi, when she is home..:cool:
I thought you could only f2f with apple compatible products.
And food for thought have you tried to open a large page on your phone say round noonish when the data stream is bogged and it takes like 3 three minutes to open? It'll feel like video chatting on dial up.

mauvil

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
I thought you could only f2f with apple compatible products.
And food for thought have you tried to open a large page on your phone say round noonish when the data stream is bogged and it takes like 3 three minutes to open? It'll feel like video chatting on dial up.

Im graveyard shift, so not so much bogged down and we did the video chat with tango, minus me not having a front facing camera with my Incredible, twas a trial run on tango, worked good and opened pretty quick..

Last edited:

tropper

Smarty Pants
Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Im graveyard shift, so not so much bogged down and we did the video chat with tango, minus me not having a front facing camera with my Incredible, twas a trial run on tango, worked good and opened pretty quick..
Swee Ill remeber that works thanks

Shygar

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Do you guys anticipate that I could use the Thunderbolt built in skype to chat with my dad on his iPhone 4 (assuming he needs to get the skype app)? I live in a 4G area.

shaolinfinest

Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
I just came from an HTC/Verizon event today and got hands on with the ThunderBolt. It is simply fast, I was able to get upload speeds around 6mps. But to answer your question, yes you can Skype with your father if he is using the iPhone 4 on WiFi, 3G and 4G.

What I am a little confused with is Verizon is telling us to not sell the device as being able to do voice and data simultaneously on 3G while HTC is saying it does support it out the box.

Another thing HTC mentioned was that Skype on the Thunderbolt is like no other out there and that it will not be released until the phone comes out. Which will be soon.

blackmannx#AC

Panda Motherfrinkin King
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
the 3g voice and data simultaneously is not being advertised because at its core its a nice software trick but not as powerful and no where near as fast and consistent to qualify as a network feature. its not ready for primetime to put it bluntly.. if it was it would have been enabled on the IPHONE if only to shut ATT up..

Skype with video on android is not ready just yet. they are working on adding the newly purchased qik compression tech to allow video chat over 3g to work as smooth as possible.

I just came from an HTC/Verizon event today and got hands on with the ThunderBolt. It is simply fast, I was able to get upload speeds around 6mps. But to answer your question, yes you can Skype with your father if he is using the iPhone 4 on WiFi, 3G and 4G.

What I am a little confused with is Verizon is telling us to not sell the device as being able to do voice and data simultaneously on 3G while HTC is saying it does support it out the box.

Another thing HTC mentioned was that Skype on the Thunderbolt is like no other out there and that it will not be released until the phone comes out. Which will be soon.

Reactions: RichardClark

Mustang7303

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Just out of curiosity, anyone actually use F2F chatting? Does the novelty wear off? I ask only because I spend way more time communicating via text message than I do actually talking on the phone (and I use less than 1,000 messages a month, so I don't talk very much at all).

colesl4w

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
I personally don't really skype anyone at all. But mayhaps that'll change when I head off to college. Or when I head over to Europe for awhile, skype via wifi or something like that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC