Can't charge and use kickstand at the same time?

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
I was just looking at the 360 view of thunderbolt at htc's promotional page and it looks like, based on the direction the kickstand comes out and where the battery port is, you won't be able to charge and use the kickstand at the same time.
Is that right? (looks kind of like you'll be forced to buy some kind of dock to watch something and charge simultaneously)

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
You can charge it while using the kickstand you just need to set the phone up vertically. I know it would be nice to able to charge in either orientation that is a bummer :(

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
You can charge it while using the kickstand you just need to set the phone up vertically. I know it would be nice to able to charge in either orientation that is a bummer :(

That's fine unless you want to watch a video which would put it in landscape mode. HTC really biffed that one.

Astrodroid

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
Wow, I have to apologize to you, siblings. I thought you were being a bunch of babies but now that I look at it, that does kind of suck! We'll work around it, but boooo. Hey maybe this is one of those times where your high school teacher's advice of "it's not a problem, it's an opportunity" can finally be put to use.* We have an opportunity to get creative here and come up with a neat solution to share.

*Note that this trick doesn't always work ("Oh ****, you're pregnant?! What an opportunity!")

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
well, it's not the end of the world or anything, but in the landscape position-kickstand out seems like it would be the default charging set up for this device. obviously its the best for watching movies or having the desk clock look.

dbdynsty25

May 1, 2010
Visit site
That is the dumbest thing I've ever seen. Lead designer fired. I wouldn't buy the phone just for that reason. Why do I need to buy extra stands and docks for something with a friggin' kick stand? That's what it's there for...to help it stand up!

Maybe I'm a baby and complaining about it is pointless, but someone has to stand up for the "good" industrial designers of the world. Obviously the Thunderbolt team doesn't belong in that class.

dbdynsty25

May 1, 2010
Visit site
m kay where would you put the usb port?

They can leave the USB port where it is, just flip the way the kickstand opens. The point is that they put the USB port on the bottom of the phone when the kickstand is open. If it opens the other way, the USB port is on top so that you can charge and watch at the same time.

tropper

Smarty Pants
Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
That is because HTC sets landscape orientation as the bottom of the phone to the right. So that being said if you wanted to dock the phone into, say a charging car dock it would be in landscape mode ala OG droid. The fact that most HTC phones charge from the bottom has made it hard to find a really good car dock.

RUSH

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
That's two thumbs up for the original. (EVO) I hope customers are aware of this unacceptable design before purchasing the phone. :(

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals37