So Who's Getting It

SUB-dawg

Nexus Lover
Dec 5, 2010
Visit site
I'll probably end up getting the TBolt once it's out. Love my Fascinate but I'm due for an upgrade in February, anyway. I might give it a month or so to see what other people have to say about it first, though.

if you don't mind me asking, why this over the bionic? or will you get both? :p

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
I really see the TB as the best all round phone for me, 4G will likely hit my market by EOY, or early 2012 and I can live with that for now. Once 4G is running I will still be happy with this phone and give the Rooting/ROM community I am no longer concerned about waiting for carrier approval on an OS update. I would expect GB for the Thunderbolt by spring at the latest, and I would happily take an AOSP version and use ADW Launcher EX instead of Sense 2.0.

I already shipped out my DInc and iPod Touch 4G funds are waiting patiently. I have a my Droid 2/D2Global Doc and a case for the D2G and a Fascinate that I am going to sell off cheap since they are just kicking around.

delynnie

Dec 25, 2010
Visit site
I am geting 2 of them! One for me and one for Hubby!! My upgrade is Feb 9th! And hopefully, I will get a profit sharing check on the 14th! if not, Maybe I can sell Samsung Omina, my Env-touch, and old voyager on ebay! Does anyone think someone would buy old outdated phones? If the TB really comes out Feb 11th, it will be so Sweet!!

racinbill

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
Should I wait?

So I am porting over to VZW and I can do any number of things. I want a smartphone and was planning on getting the Tbolt when it came out. Now that I look at the specs I am not sure why I am doing this. I could just get a Dx or dinc and save $10/month. Does not seem to be a huge difference in specs on the devices. I won't have 4g in 2011 (shocking a metro place like CT is not high on the list).

I was completely stoked for the Tbolt but now some folks are asking me why...and I can't answer them. I wonder if I should just pay the full price for the Dx or Dinc by 1/31 and save the $10/month then buy a new phone next year that is 4g and been tested out more. Thoughts? I still really want to want the Tbolt.

htowngator

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
the panda recommends the tBolt over Bionic for his own use as he said "Bionic will be locked down" and tBolt will have better build quality this time around... He does argue that Bionic will be a better phone spec-wise but likes the tBolt overall.

Going to be really hard for me to choose... tBolt won't be locked down like Bionic, but Bionic will have better screen, Tegra 2, and better build quality.

bmcclure937

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
If I had to choose between locked and not locked... I would choose the not locked any day. I would not even consider ditching my N1 if I knew the device I was switching to would be locked down.

I would rather have a device with lower specs and more potential! The TB will live up and stand its ground. It is no slouch as far as hardware goes. And once those crafty devs get their minds churning... it is game over! It is actually funny to see Moto dig themselves into a sink hole by not allowing developers to tinker and unlock the full potential of their hardware.

aggie

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
So I am porting over to VZW and I can do any number of things. I want a smartphone and was planning on getting the Tbolt when it came out. Now that I look at the specs I am not sure why I am doing this. I could just get a Dx or dinc and save $10/month. Does not seem to be a huge difference in specs on the devices. I won't have 4g in 2011 (shocking a metro place like CT is not high on the list).

I was completely stoked for the Tbolt but now some folks are asking me why...and I can't answer them. I wonder if I should just pay the full price for the Dx or Dinc by 1/31 and save the $10/month then buy a new phone next year that is 4g and been tested out more. Thoughts? I still really want to want the Tbolt.

If you aren't going to have 4G anytime in the next year I'd go with a Dinc or the X and not get locked into contract on a phone that most likely will be lower on the chain by the time you actually have 4g. The X out of the box isn't a great device, it was really buggy for me at first, but since i've rooted and removed all the crap it actually is a pretty good device. By far the best battery life i've had on an android phone. That's the main reason I'd go with it over the Dinc if you are okay with the locked bootloader.

For me it's a no brainer. We have 4g rocking in the Dallas/Ft Worth area, I'll be getting a TBolt on day 1. I'll be paying full retail so I have upgrade options if something else far better comes out. I don't really consider the Bionic a far better device although the higher res screen is tempting. I'll probably ride the TBolt the rest of the year and see what we've got announced at CES next year.

Reactions: racinbill

experiment 626

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Racinbill, are you sure CT won't get LTE before 2012 ? Usually the whole NorthEast Coast "Megalopolis" is among the first areas for new rollouts like this.Just wondering, why do you feel you'll be saving $10 a month with a DINC or X ? The DINC you can get for free but the X is still $149-$199 at most physical stores with a 2yr contract. For $50-$100 more you could have the Thunderbolt and be ready if LTE is available sooner than you expected. :D

racinbill

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
Racinbill, are you sure CT won't get LTE before 2012 ? Usually the whole NorthEast Coast "Megalopolis" is among the first areas for new rollouts like this.Just wondering, why do you feel you'll be saving $10 a month with a DINC or X ? The DINC you can get for free but the X is still $149-$199 at most physical stores with a 2yr contract. For $50-$100 more you could have the Thunderbolt and be ready if LTE is available sooner than you expected. :D

I hope you are right, but on the VZ site of 2011 cities, CT does not appear.

Per VZ I can get $9.99 a month off my family plan for any smartphone activation done by 1/31. 24 month limit.

Just looking at the specs, it does not seem to rocket ahead of the older devices does it? What am I missing? Again, I will probably get it but I want to go in feeling good about it and not have Tbolt remorse ;)

Nitros7

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
If I had to choose between locked and not locked... I would choose the not locked any day. I would not even consider ditching my N1 if I knew the device I was switching to would be locked down.

I would rather have a device with lower specs and more potential! The TB will live up and stand its ground. It is no slouch as far as hardware goes. And once those crafty devs get their minds churning... it is game over! It is actually funny to see Moto dig themselves into a sink hole by not allowing developers to tinker and unlock the full potential of their hardware.

amen, +1, all internets to you sir.

really what it comes down to is its my phone I shelled the money out for it, if I want to turn it into a nice shinny brick thats my problem not the manufacturers or the providers. Really there shotting themselves in the foot twice, one cus I wont buy there hardware and the other is cus those who would have bricked theres now wont and wont be in the market for a new phone.

aggie

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site

Per VZ I can get $9.99 a month off my family plan for any smartphone activation done by 1/31. 24 month limit.

Just looking at the specs, it does not seem to rocket ahead of the older devices does it? What am I missing? Again, I will probably get it but I want to go in feeling good about it and not have Tbolt remorse ;)

Hmm, things that come to mind first as far as comparison to existing devices, besides the obvious 4g capability.

768 MB RAM
8GB onboard memory with preinstalled 32GB microsd
Kickstand (laugh)
New generation Snapdragon processor (I don't know how much better it is than the first but hopefully it will be more efficient and easier on the battery)

It is an excellent device no doubt, but if I didn't have LTE in my area I'm not sure that would be enough to push me over the top and get it.

One thing I've been wondering, is the wifi dual band or 2.4ghz only? Of all the devices that came out at CES, the only one of seen advertise dual band (2.4 and 5ghz) is the Atrix.

experiment 626

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site

I forgot about the Free Add A Smartphone Line Promo.It is a nice deal, I wish I could have qualified for it. :'( Well NYC and Boston were among the first LTE cities so hopefully VZW will hurry up and connect the dots. I think VZW releases updated coverage lists over the course of the year so I'd still hold out hope. ;)

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
If you do travel a lot even if 4G isn't in your area it may be in areas you travel to on business. I sold my phone and apple stuff and anxiously await the TB to arrive. 4G should hit my market by EOY, but even if it doesn't until early 2012 its still a very solid device specs wise.

Now if a Best Buy page leak would come out like the XOOM page that would be nice.

BayRican

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
I will be getting the Thunderbolt just hope that it releases in february. It will be the perfect replacement for my Nexus One.

anon(75289)

Oct 23, 2010
Visit site
How confident are we that the TB actually does not have a locked bootloader? I heard rumors that it was going to have netflix installed on it which would probably mean it's seriously locked down. When the G2 came out, how early before the release did we know that the memory had a built in checker and rewriter?

I hope it's not locked down, even though I would love to have netflix on it, i'd much rather have it be unlocked.

karnovaran

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
The Thunderbolt obviously won't be unlocked on delivery, as no phone is. I think we all mean it'll be unlockable at some point. You're right, the G2 took awhile, as did the Incredible and many others. They were all cracked however and the knowledge gained from getting s-off on the G2 and Desire HD should help us out.