thunderbolt with 3g plan?

Atomic_Monkey

Android monkey
Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
My area won't have 4g service for about a year. I want to get my first smartphone, but can't wait for dualcore, and don't want Iphone. Will it be possible to get the thunderbolt with a 3g plan? No way am I paying 4g prices if I can't get 4g service...

anon(75289)

Oct 23, 2010
Visit site
We still don't know the answer to this question :( The latest leak hints that LTE prices will be higher. I seriously doubt that verizon has a way of blocking you from using LTE on the phone. In other words, you pay for the LTE or you buy a different phone without it. It looks like there are a few new android phones in the pipes which will not be LTE. I think they are doing this to satisfy the customers who wont have LTE for awhile.

INK

Banned
Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
I'm 100% percent sure Verizon wouldn't make the phone 4g exclusive, seeing as they have alot of places not covered by their 4g lte service.

Also I'm sure even if you did have 4g in your city that if you roamed out of the 4g coverage area that it would revert to 3g, otherwise Verizon wouldn't be able to sell many 4g phones as most of us are 3g covered.

Atomic_Monkey

Android monkey
Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
We still don't know the answer to this question :( The latest leak hints that LTE prices will be higher. I seriously doubt that verizon has a way of blocking you from using LTE on the phone. In other words, you pay for the LTE or you buy a different phone without it. It looks like there are a few new android phones in the pipes which will not be LTE. I think they are doing this to satisfy the customers who wont have LTE for awhile.

thx, if this is so, can't see it selling outside of those 38 cities. Also means i will either have to put a bullet in my head waiting for a smartphone or get a f#%$ing crapple Iphone...eww

rewd

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Absolutely not. It's a 4G radio phone so they will charge you for 4G data plan.

Ignore this idiot please. He's so full of crap its not even funny.

The HTC Thunderbolt is not a "4G radio phone". It supports verizons LTE 4G network AND CDMA EV.DO.

htowngator

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
Ignore this idiot please. He's so full of crap its not even funny.

The HTC Thunderbolt is not a "4G radio phone". It supports verizons LTE 4G network AND CDMA EV.DO.

This idiot? LMAO

It is a 4g/3g radio phone to be more specific. It has BOTH. Verizon won't simply let you purchase it without charging you for the 4G data option. It just won't happen so better to get over it now than worry about it.

I know more about this tech than you likely do so please spare me the insults. I was speaking from a "wwVZWd" approach -- they will charge for 4G since the phone has the radio in it. Can you buy a 3G smartphone w/o a data plan now?

experiment 626

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site

I really wish Verizon would show off how they plan to offer their LTE.I've only seen and read bits and pieces,including the pics of their 4G LTE "SIM cards". Strictly as a guess I'll say ThunderBolt buyers will have the option to use their Bolt as a 3G device(using it's EVDO Rev.A radio) or upgrading their data speeds by signing up for an LTE data plan and inserting their LTE "SIM card" which will allow them access to 4G service. This way people will have a choice to upgrading to the newest Android phones even if LTE is not in their area yet. Also they can still upgrade even if they're happy with their current EVDO speeds. It's a real smart plan since it doesn't force people who want to upgrade into having to choose a more expensive data package. And they still have the option to do it later if they wish. :)

Reactions: anon(75289)

juskrs51

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
I really wish Verizon would show off how they plan to offer their LTE.I've only seen and read bits and pieces,including the pics of their 4G LTE "SIM cards". Strictly as a guess I'll say ThunderBolt buyers will have the option to use their Bolt as a 3G device(using it's EVDO Rev.A radio) or upgrading their data speeds by signing up for an LTE data plan and inserting their LTE "SIM card" which will allow them access to 4G service. This way people will have a choice to upgrading to the newest Android phones even if LTE is not in their area yet. Also they can still upgrade even if they're happy with their current EVDO speeds. It's a real smart plan since it doesn't force people who want to upgrade into having to choose a more expensive data package. And they still have the option to do it later if they wish. :)

This makes some good sense to me. Whats the point of having a LTE SIM Card, if VZW is going to make you have a 4G Data Plan. There would be no need for the SIM Card because the device would have to pick up both 4G & 3G signal, just like the EVO on Sprint, thus you would have to have the 4G LTE Data Plan, just like Sprint did with the EVO and WiMax.

So in my mind, say you live in an area with no 4G LTE for another year, buy the TBolt with no 4G LTE SIM Card, you're stuck with 3G Speeds and a 3G data plan (since it has the 3G Radio in it), but 4G LTE comes to your area, you want in on it, you get a 4G LTE SIM Card, and now you pay the 4G LTE data plan prices, insert the card into the TBolt and you become "lighting" fast.

This would fall in line with the 3G Smartphone Unlimited plans they just leaked too. Plus VZW does this, they are setting a new industry standard by allowing the consumer to chose what they want to consume, not forcing the consumer to purchase something they don't want (unlike Sprint).

Not an expert on this by any means, just thinking thru, given what we know.

Lactose The Intolerant

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site

I'm hoping this is the case... I live in a little podunk town (how little, you ask? well, people who live in BFE look at this place and go 'ewww').

I very much love my 3g coverage -- LTE is a long way off here. My D-Inc is great but the screen size is starting to hinder me. I'm looking at the TB for its screen not its 4G capability... and before you say "DX" - no thanks, the 4.3" is configured the wrong way.

Guess we'll know in a couple of weeks...

bstmstrxellos

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Why is everyone assuming that 4g data on a smartphone will cost more? T-mobile doesn't charge a premium and Spirit "4g charge" was 10 extra a month, but they claimed it wasn't a 4g charge and are now going to tack that extra 10 on all smart phones not just the 4g ones.

rewd

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site

You sir, are the winner.

anon(75289)

Oct 23, 2010
Visit site

Wow, yeah! That would be great!!

SUB-dawg

Nexus Lover
Dec 5, 2010
Visit site
Yeah wasn't there a pic of a 4g lte sim card floating around?

here it is

10x0719ub45433life.jpg

Reactions: INK

honex97

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
What about having the option on 4g not to have a package but pay per MB? This way if you don't live in a 4g area you will never us 4g and will never be charged.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jm_rookie2