Has it live up to the hype for you?

INK

Banned
Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
As you may or may not know HTC claimed the Thunderbolt will be "The Phone After Your Dream Phone." I would love to see what you guys think about this, since we have heard alot about this phone since novemeber of last year.

Here are some of what TBolt brings to the table:

General info
Phone type:Smart phone
Network technology: Network technology - Referes to the kind of network technology used. Three major technologies are used today - TDMA, CDMA and GSM.
CDMA: CDMA - Code Division Multiple Access. A technique of multiplexing, also called spread spectrum, in which analog signals are converted into digital form for transmission. For each communication channel, the signals are encoded in a sequence known to the transmitter and the receiver for that channel. The foremost application is digital cellular phone technology from QUALCOMM that operates in the 800MHz band and 1.9GHz PCS band. CDMA phones are noted for their excellent call quality and long battery life.
800, 1900
.LTE:700
.Data: Data - Shows the particular phone's type of data. the major mobile phone data types are GPRS, CDMA2000 1xRTT, EDGE, CDMA2000 1xEV-DO, UMTS, etc.
CDMA Data:1xEV-DO rev.A
.LTE:Yes
.Design
Design: Design - Phone design type
Form Factor: Form Factor - Refers to the form factor of a phone. The main handset designs are bar, clamshell, slide, swivel
Candybar
.Dimensions: Dimensions - Phone's dimensions
4.80 x 2.60 x 0.52 (122 x 66 x 13 mm)
.Weight: Weight - Phone's weight
5.78 oz (164 g)
the average is 4.3 oz (123 g)
.Antenna: Antenna - Refers to the type of the antenna. The major types are retractable, stub-retractable, stub-nonretractable, internal
Internal
.Side Keys: Side Keys - Buttons on the side of the phone, designed to be used by fingertips while holding the phone - one-handed operation.
Right: Volume control
.Display
Display: Display - Phone's main display
Type: Type - Refers to the type of the display. There are four major display types: Greyscale, Black&White, LCD:STN-color and LCD:TFT-color
Color
.Technology: Technology - Refers to the type of the color displays. There are five major types: LCD, TFT, TFD, STN and OLED
TFT
.Resolution: Resolution - Refers to the width and the height of the display
480 x 800 pixels
.Physical Size:4.30 inches
.Touch Screen:Yes (Capacitive)
.Multi-touch:Yes
.Proximity Sensor:Yes
.Light sensor:Yes
.Battery
Type: Type - Refers to the battery type. Three major battery typesare used: Li-Ion, Li-Polymer, Ni-MH
Li - Ion
Capacity: Capacity - Shows the battery capacity in mAh
1400 mAh
Software
Smart Phone: Smart Phone - Phone that has capabilities, not usually associated with phones. Usually it has some of the above features: - Email, Web browsing - Personal information management - LAN connectivity etc
Yes
OS: OS - Operating system, which is the software that enables and controls the basic operation of an electronic device. The major OS for mobile phones are UIQ over Symbian, Microsoft Mobile for Pocket PC Phone Edition, Microsoft Mobile for Smartphones, Linux, Palm
Android (2.2)
.Processor:Snapdragon
Processor speed:1000 MHz
.Memory:768 MB RAM
OTA Software updates:Yes
Games:Yes
Camera
Camera: Camera - Camera specs
Yes (Immobile)
Resolution: Resolution - Shows the particular phone's camera resolution. The major mobile phone camera resolutions available are QCIF; CIF; VGA (640x480); 1, 1.2, 1.3, 2.0 and 3.0 megapixels.
8 megapixels
.Flash:Yes (Dual LED)
.Features:Auto focus, Face detection, Geo tagging, Effects
.Video capture:Yes

Resolution: Resolution - Shows whether the particular phone's camera can record a video clip
1280x720 (720p HD)
.Additional camera:Yes (1.3 megapixels)
Video Calling: Video Calling - Feature allowing you to not only listen but also view the other party.
Yes
Multimedia
Music Player: Music Player - Audio support such as MP3
Yes
Supports:MP3, AAC, WMA, WAV, M4A (Apple lossless), AMR, OGG, MIDI
.Video Playback: Video Playback - Video support such as MPEG4
Yes
Supports:MPEG4, XviD, WMV, 3GP, 3G2
.Radio:Yes
Type:FM
.Streaming:Yes (Audio, Video)
YouTube player:Yes
Internet browsing
Internet Browsing: Internet Browsing - Capability to access special Internet sites using the mobile phone
Yes
Supports:HTML, Flash
.Built-in online services support:Facebook, YouTube (upload), Twitter
Location Based Services

Location Based Services:Yes
.Type:GPS, A-GPS
.Navigation:Yes
.Phonebook
Support:Yes
Capacity:Capacity depends on system memory
Features:Caller groups, Multiple numbers per contact, Search by both first and last name, Picture ID, Ring ID
Organizer
Calendar:Yes
Alarms:Yes
Other:Calculator
Messaging
SMS:Yes
MMS: MMS - MMS - Multimedia Messaging Service - method of transmitting graphics, video clips, sound files and short text messages over wireless networks using the WAP protocol.
Yes
Predictive Text Input: Predictive Text Input - Predictive Text Input is a intelligent software that make typing words easier on a mobile phone keypads. It uses a built in dictionaries. You press the numbers that carry the characters that you want to type only once, and the software tries to guess what word you are attempting to type.
Yes
E-mail: E-mail - Shows if the phone supports email features
Yes (IMAP, POP3, SMTP)
Instant Messaging:Yes (Google Talk)
Memory
Memory Expansion: Memory Expansion - Capability to add additional memory to your phone.
Slot Type: Slot Type - Shows what type of additional memory can be added to the particular phone. Eight major memory slot types are available: MMC, SD, CF, Memory Stick Duo, miniSD, RS MMC, TransFlash (microSD), Memory Stick Pro Duo
microSD, microSDHC
.Maximum card size: Maximum card size - Shows the capacity of the memo0ry expansion slot that can be added
32 GB
.Built-in:8192 MB
Connectivity
Bluetooth: Bluetooth - Low power radio technology replacing the need for wires connecting electronic devices such as personal computers, printers, palm top computers and mobile phones.
Yes
Version: Version - Shows the paricular phone's Bluetooth version
.EDR: EDR - Refers to any special features of the particular phone's Bluetooth
Yes
.Profiles:Advanced Audio Distribution (A2DP)
.Wi-Fi: Wi-Fi - Wireless Local Area Network (WLAN) - used radio waves (RF) or infrared signals to send and receive data over the air. Most popular WLAN solutions today is Wi-Fi (802.11b and 802.11g) standards. 801.11b provides data speeds of around 11mbps while 802.11g can go up to 54 mbps.
Yes (802.11b, 802.11g, 802.11n)
USB:Yes
Type:microUSB
.Version:USB 2.0
.Features: Features - Universal Serial Bus - is a plug-and-play interface for connection a computer and add-on devices such as joysticks, keyboards, wireless phones, scanner, cameras etc. USB supports hot-swap (ability to add a new device without having to reboot the computer). USB supports data speed of 12 megabits per second.
Mass storage device, USB charging
.Headphones connector:3.5mm
Charging connector:microUSB
Computer synchronization: Computer synchronization - The phone's ability to synchronize its data with a computer application. The Synchronization involves the transfer of data from one device to a computer or vice versa.
Yes
OTA synchronization:Yes
DLNA:Yes
Tethering:Yes
Notifications
Polyphonic ringtones: Polyphonic ringtones - Old-style ringtones play one musical note at a time, whereas polyphonic ringtones play multiple notes, creating a fuller, richer and more realistic sound. At the same time, polyphonic ringer phones usually play multiple instruments and are equipped with better-sounding speakers.
Yes
Music ringtones:Yes (MP3)
Vibration Alert: Vibration Alert - Capability to vibrate when receiving calls
Yes
Haptic feedback:Yes
Flight mode:Yes
Silent mode:Yes
Speakers:Earpiece, Loudspeaker
Speaker Phone: Speaker Phone - Allows the user to use the phone without holding it (can be placed at a short distance). This is a very useful feature, if you have to hold for a long time, or numerous people have to participate in the conversation.
Yes
Other features
Voice recording: Voice recording - The ability to store short notes(memos) in the memory of your phone.
Yes
Additional microphone:Yes
Used for:Noise cancellation
.Sensors:Accelerometer, Compass
Availability
Officially announced: Officially announced - Shows when is the particular phone officialy presented to the public
06 Jan 2011

It is also rumored that it will be able to use voice and data at once due to a new radio.

I say Evo and Desire put that in your pipe and smoke it!

Ideas anyone? Oppinons? No flamming! {Specs courtesy of PhoneArena}

SpaceHippie

Journeyman
Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
For me. Yes. Only thing that could make this phone better is a larger battery. I'm not sad about no dual core. The extra RAM is better right now since the OS doesn't utilize dual core. Good job HTC. Now work on your batteries.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
Specs aren't always everything either. They're only to get a general idea, but trust me I've seen some devices that should have performed like a dream based on their specs and turned out to be a huge disappointment.

With that being said, I think the Thunderbolt will live up to the hype, I don't see any reason why its specs shouldn't speak for themselves.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

HKM

Banned
Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Specs aren't always everything either. They're only to get a general idea, but trust me I've seen some devices that should have performed like a dream based on their specs and turned out to be a huge disappointment.

With that being said, I think the Thunderbolt will live up to the hype, I don't see any reason why its specs shouldn't speak for themselves.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

I see you came across some Galaxy S class phones lol hardware is that physical limit and you guessed it software is other half. But I'm sure TB will be much nice add-on to the CDMA list from HTC as Evo is post 2009 hardware.

Sent from my HTC Glacier via WiFi

karmamule

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
The more videos I see of the HTC Thunderbolt in action along with Sense 2.0, the more excited I get. I've grown to really admire Sense UI with my Droid Incredible, and that alone is a big plus for me when comparing HTC phones to Motorola or others. The faster boot time also looks nice, and the ability to rearrange pages on the fly have me looking forward to it. It looks quite nimble in operation, and I can't imagine a dual core phone being that much better.

I'm also eager to get an LTE phone because I live & work in areas that are covered, and the speed boost will be a huge help too. I'm sure phones with better specs and/or features will be released in a few months, (as they always are) but those few months of LTE alone will be worth it to me.

I plan to pay a little more for it and just get a 1 year contract instead of a 2 year one. While I won't feel too bad when newer/flashier phones come out in a few months, if i stick to my usual pattern a year or so from now I'll be getting itchy again. But, I'm hoping that for that year the Thunderbolt will work out well.