Comparing the Thunderbolt to the rest of the 4G Phone Lineup

SUB-dawg

Nexus Lover
Dec 5, 2010
Visit site
I made this handy spreadsheet comparing the Thunderbolt to the rest of the 4G LTE smartphone lineup or vice versa 4 ways!

**Please, please let me know if there is anything I should add to the comparison!!!**

**Please note that the file is a PDF so you will need a PDF viewer to view it.**

CHANGE LOG
2/8/11: Added comparisons to the Atrix 4G and i*hone. Just check the document. It is the updated! :)

Tell me what you think!
SUB-dawg :cool:

Last edited:

htowngator

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
nice job

obviously will know more as info comes out on other phones

I think Bionic still best option for "future proof" tech if you don't get a 1yr contract.

colesl4w

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
I'm deffinetly goin with the Thunderbolt, and for some reason looking at your chart made me realize that the TB actually has more RAM than the bionic, which in at least the short term is gonna put it ahead (imo) until we get to a point where they actually utilize the dual core aspect.

HKM

Banned
Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
:O IDK how I downloaded the PDF in less than 1sec. But anyways as I did see the spec comparison. If you want single core go with HTC TB if you want dual core go with Bionic. Keep in mind TB is new device but the hardware is actually post 2010 where Bionic is superior due to dual core and using faster memory, also the UPL gpu which is faster than AMD Z460. I myself would get TB if they had it on TMo.

shaddix

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
Is the ram really faster on the bionic? I haven't seen any timings. The clock speed on ddr2 is higher but the timings are usually looser leading to about the same performance as ddr. Of course that's the pc world and I dunno if that transfers to mobile....

shaddix

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
the bionic has ddr2 ram but the thunderbolt has more ram then the bionic.

Yeah but what I mean is ddr2 is not automatically faster than ddr as far as PC memory is concerned and I am wondering if that is the case for these phones as well.

And I believe that it is correct about the bionic front camera being .3mp

HKM

Banned
Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Is the ram really faster on the bionic? I haven't seen any timings. The clock speed on ddr2 is higher but the timings are usually looser leading to about the same performance as ddr. Of course that's the pc world and I dunno if that transfers to mobile....

What am I the only PC buff here? I thought it was common knowledge that ddr2 is twice as fast as ddr thus allows higher bus speeds.

the bionic has ddr2 ram but the thunderbolt has more ram then the bionic.

Yes DB has 512mb ddr2 ram where TB has 768mb ddr, but since DB is using ddr2 at higher bus speed at same time actually using less power than ddr because the internal clock runs at half the speed of the data bus. Now keep in mind I know if anyone here understand how memory is allocated you will bring up case latency issue. B what you have to understand is yes ddr2 does have higher CL but since ddr2 runs at double external data bus clock rate as ddr it can provide twice the bandwidth at the same latency thus improvement over ddr.

Might wanna fix the MP for the Bionic FF cam. Should be 1.3 not 0.3.

:O guess someone was looking at the spec LOL I didn't even notice that thought it was 1.3 myself LOL should have had screen view.

Reactions: HawaiiD

shaddix

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
This from wiki
DDR2 was introduced in the second quarter of 2003 at two initial clock rates: 200 MHz (referred to as PC2-3200) and 266 MHz (PC2-4200). Both performed worse than the original DDR specification due to higher latency, which made total access times longer. However, the original DDR technology tops out at a clock rate around 200 MHz (400 MT/s). Higher performance DDR chips exist, but JEDEC has stated that they will not be standardized. These modules are mostly manufacturer optimizations of highest-yielding chips, drawing significantly more power than slower-clocked modules, and usually do not offer much, if any, greater real-world performance.

DDR2 started to become competitive with the older DDR standard by the end of 2004, as modules with lower latencies became available.[5

And the same was true of the transition from ddr2 to ddr3. Good DDR2 modules easily beat out early DDR3 modules and in 2008-2009 they were equal in performance.(The reason to buy DDR3 in 2008-2009 was not performance, but future-proofing and price)

So I am wondering if this is true for the phones as well or if PC DDR has nothing to do with the mobile side of it. If they are similar I don't think it is a given that the DDR2 in the bionic is faster than the DDR in the TB.

HKM

Banned
Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Where did you google that out of Wiki?

Well when DDR3 originally came out the CL was over 6+ mostly and I been using CL on DDR2 4555/5556. But since the bandwidth is always higher on extended data bus people did get it regardless, you would not notice the diff with human eyes. Same apply here with SoC's ddr2 it also has 2x bandwidth at almost same latency.

sys_spec.png

sys_mon.png

^ My old IBM i580 BlackSHELF server SS like in 2007.

shaddix

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
Its just from the wikipedia article on ddr2. I do remember reading back in the day on forums about ddr2 is not automatically better and seen the benchmarks where ddr2 was beating ddr3 for a good while. I just do wonder what the timings are on this phone ram or does it even work like that at all?

I guess it is fairly irrelevant though as it will only make a difference in benchmarks and very intensive games. And if you are interested in the gaming abilities you most certainly would be waiting on the bionic anyway because of the nvidia chips.

HKM

Banned
Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Ya when it comes to memory it always works like that as you have to read, write, refresh the allocated slots, as its dynamic by nature. If you take it in small scale then its just basically electricity 0=empty, 1=electron is used for the data then grouped in rows. Usually when new standard comes out the CL is always high I seen this from SDRAM, DDR-DDR3. Not sure why but do to how extended data bus is designed based on all the channels and lanes they still make it work because of higher bandwidth which is always 2x thus improving on large scale combined with higher processing bus.

Far as Terga2 goes when it comes out the UPL GPU will still be faster than AMD Z460/Adreno205 inside 2GS SoC's. Only Hummingbird fanboy seem to think they for some silly reason has the upper hand lol even when the truth is that its still faster than SGX540 by small margin same as SGX540 faster than Adreno205 in small margin. But do to having dual core that's 2x threads each scaled at 1ghz will win.

Anyone tho thinks otherwise has to be some type of die-hard Samsung fanboy or something or just lacks basic understanding in low level computer hardware/software.

Sent from my HTC Glacier via WiFi

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34