Everything on the thunderbolt seems great for a new smart phone except I'm concerned that the battery (only 1400 mAh) is not large enough considering the large screen that's going to suck power. I know the new processor is supposed to be more efficient but is it enough to make a difference?
    I'd like to be able to be on the heavy side of medium data use (I don't talk much at all) and only need to charge it overnight. Or light use and charge every other day. Think this will be possible?

Also the PPI (217 for Bolt) seems weak compared to the Iphone4 (330 PPI) and Bionic (256 PPI). But is this just a numbers game where at a certain point the PPI doesn't matter? Similar to how at 15/20 feet a human eye cannot tell the difference between a 45 inch 720p TV and a 1080p TV?
    I know screen tech also make a difference as well in perceived quality.
    01-30-2011 05:05 PM
    I think it won't be enough battery except for light usage.

I do wish the thunderbolt had higher PPI. 217 vs 256 vs 330 are all noticeable differences on text if you're looking at it from a foot away. It isn't like I'm going to be watching video on it though when I have a couch and a 1080p plasma at the house so not a big deal IMO.
    01-30-2011 06:11 PM
    The battery may be the worst aspect about this phone and the one thing that makes me want the bionic but I can bet their will be extended batteries or I may just get a second battery and charger
    01-30-2011 07:59 PM
    It's too bad people have bought into the PPI argument over quality and brightness. Apple really sold people a barrel of goods with that one.

Don't get me wrong, PPI matters, but it's not the end-all-be-all like Apple has led everyone to believe. I'd bet if you compared iPhone's screen to TBolt it wouldn't look better unless you were an inch away.
    blizz419 likes this.
    01-30-2011 08:25 PM
    The battery may be the worst aspect about this phone and the one thing that makes me want the bionic but I can bet their will be extended batteries or I may just get a second battery and charger
    The thing about the extended batteries is that's another 40-50 bucks you have to shell out. And it makes an already large phone almost non pocket-able.
    And carrying extra batteries is just a pain.
    I'd love to grab my phone in the morning and not worry about needing my extra battery and charger just to get though the 21 hour work day.
    I don't know why HTC just doesn't add another couple hundred mAh for their batteries... It's not like people haven't been complaining about their batteries for a long time.

@ htowngtr

That's what I was wondering. I figured there was some amount of smoke and mirrors going on. I know PPI is only a portion of a screens quality. I'd just like to watch the occasional video or netflix stream if it gets up in good quality.
    01-30-2011 08:35 PM
    The weak battery and low PPI are both disappointing. I'm also not wild about the size and weight of the phone. Still, I don't think any of these problems are going to keep me from getting it. (I will definitely think twice if Verizon decides to charge extra for 4G data plans, though.) There are workarounds for the weak battery, such as a backup battery and quick charger. Not ideal, but not a deal breaker for me. As for the screen, I've been thinking that size may be even more important than PPI for a touchscreen because that means bigger virtual keys and buttons. So, photos/videos may look a little sharper on the iPhone, but the Thunderbolt ought to be easier to type on. Would be interesting to compare a iPhone 4 with a Droid X and see how much difference the PPI and screen size make.
    01-30-2011 08:36 PM
    It's too bad people have bought into the PPI argument over quality and brightness. Apple really sold people a barrel of goods with that one.

Don't get me wrong, PPI matters, but it's not the end-all-be-all like Apple has led everyone to believe. I'd bet if you compared iPhone's screen to TBolt it wouldn't look better unless you were an inch away.
    I disagree with the assessment of the iPhone's screen. I had the original droid and actually preferred it to that of my dinc and its pentile matrix oled screen. The iPhone's screen is noticeable sharper when displaying small text than the X or the evo. If your vision isnt great I could see where it wouldnt matter, bit for those with good vision, there is no better appearing screen that I've seen, although I've yet to see super amoled + or the atrix.
    01-30-2011 08:53 PM
    I disagree with the assessment of the iPhone's screen. I had the original droid and actually preferred it to that of my dinc and its pentile matrix oled screen. The iPhone's screen is noticeable sharper when displaying small text than the X or the evo. If your vision isnt great I could see where it wouldnt matter, bit for those with good vision, there is no better appearing screen that I've seen, although I've yet to see super amoled + or the atrix.
    I have perfect vision and I think it's a scam. The screen is smaller and it's not as bright. Have you seen the iPhone next to a SAMOLED or SLCD? It's good, not great. I think its a lot like a placebo -- you expect it to have a better "look" b.c of PPI but if no one told you then you probably wouldn't know. Take the iPhone screen out and look at it directly side-by-side to other screens and I doubt you'd know "hey, that's an iphone!".
    01-30-2011 08:58 PM
    01-30-2011 09:01 PM
    PPI is important just for small text really. Pictures and video.. resolution is pretty far down on the list of what makes good image quality. It's very unlikely the screens on these phones excel in color accuracy and black level either though.
    01-30-2011 10:02 PM
    I believe the GPU will have alot more to do with the picture quality than the the actual PPI.
    And I really dont believe that the battery will be a big issue. I dont expect phenom life from it but just average, I believe this is because third party sales such as Seidio is cahoots with manufactures. (ie. they pay more than we do) Name one android phone that really has exceptional battery life? Me personally Ill by a high cap, bump charge and calibrate, and enjoy plenty of use time as I do now. The eris never had great stock battery life.
    01-31-2011 10:11 AM
    The thing about the extended batteries is that's another 40-50 bucks you have to shell out. And it makes an already large phone almost non pocket-able.
    And carrying extra batteries is just a pain.
    I'd love to grab my phone in the morning and not worry about needing my extra battery and charger just to get though the 21 hour work day.
    Seido makes larger batteries that are the original size / form factor. And if that wasn't a mistype and you really have a 21 hour work day, you must accept that you are no where close to being an average user who has access to charge their phones more often than that. I'm guessing you meant 12 ?
    01-31-2011 12:08 PM
    Seido makes larger batteries that are the original size / form factor. And if that wasn't a mistype and you really have a 21 hour work day, you must accept that you are no where close to being an average user who has access to charge their phones more often than that. I'm guessing you meant 12 ?
    Yes 12 hour work day. Thank goodness, I'd quit otherwise. How many more mAh are the Seido batteries on average do you know?
    01-31-2011 12:48 PM
    Yes 12 hour work day. Thank goodness, I'd quit otherwise. How many more mAh are the Seido batteries on average do you know?
    The Dolt and the Mytouch 4G are comparible in specs, and the Oem batts are 1400mAh Seidio offers a 1600mAh high cap, but for my eris @ 1300mAh they offer 1750mAh high cap I dont know that the MTy 4G and the Dolt will have the same but that is a comparison for you.
    01-31-2011 02:16 PM
    The Dolt and the Mytouch 4G are comparible in specs, and the Oem batts are 1400mAh Seidio offers a 1600mAh high cap, but for my eris @ 1300mAh they offer 1750mAh high cap I dont know that the MTy 4G and the Dolt will have the same but that is a comparison for you.
    Will the Seidio for your eris fit in the phone like the OEM and add no additional size to it?
    01-31-2011 02:54 PM
    Seido makes a 1750mAh battery that is same size as the original 1300mAh in the Droid Eris / Incredible. They also offer far larger batteries that come with thicker / extended back covers. That's an extra 30% of battery with no size increase. This same battery form / pin layout may still line up correctly for the Tbolt too. I'll know upon release, as I have a rooted Eris right now.

Amazon.com: Seidio Innocell 1750 mAh Battery for HTC Droid Eris to Seidio Innocell 1750 mAh Battery for HTC Droid Eris/Droid Incredible: Cell Phones & Accessories
    01-31-2011 04:15 PM
    i will say that my friends g2, 2nd gen snapdragon, has a smaller battery than tbolt an his phone last all day. i think the 2nd gen snapdragon is alot better thant first as power use. tho i no 3.7 screen on g2 an 4.3 on tbolt. but i dont think they would put a horrible battery. sure the heavy users will complain an have to charge some point in day. but average user will get thru a day at work an some more.
    01-31-2011 04:42 PM
    Will the Seidio for your eris fit in the phone like the OEM and add no additional size to it?
    IMO Prolly not wishful thinking says please so I dont shell out more money but logic says no
    i will say that my friends g2, 2nd gen snapdragon, has a smaller battery than tbolt an his phone last all day. i think the 2nd gen snapdragon is alot better thant first as power use. tho i no 3.7 screen on g2 an 4.3 on tbolt. but i dont think they would put a horrible battery. sure the heavy users will complain an have to charge some point in day. but average user will get thru a day at work an some more.
    And dont forget the 4G radio, plus there will be limited towers at the first launch
    requiring more bandwidth share and more checking in = more battery consumption .
    The battery cover is supposed to be part of the antenna so if you get the seidio version we gotta hope a extended (ie. more than hi-cap) comes with a door that works with that
    01-31-2011 04:59 PM
    Although I think for average usage the phone will work fine.
    Those heavy business users, gamers, websurfers and movie/youtube clip watchers might want to invest in a desktop or car dock once those are available
    01-31-2011 05:01 PM
    Seido makes a 1750mAh battery that is same size as the original 1300mAh in the Droid Eris / Incredible. They also offer far larger batteries that come with thicker / extended back covers. That's an extra 30% of battery with no size increase. This same battery form / pin layout may still line up correctly for the Tbolt too. I'll know upon release, as I have a rooted Eris right now.

Amazon.com: Seidio Innocell 1750 mAh Battery for HTC Droid Eris to Seidio Innocell 1750 mAh Battery for HTC Droid Eris/Droid Incredible: Cell Phones & Accessories
    That'd be awesome they're the same. That'll save money by buying a Eris battery vs a brand new "thunderbolt" marketed battery. I've heard a lot that the new snap dragon is more efficient but I'm curious to see how much.
    I've heard conflicting info as to whether 4G LTE is going to suck more power or not based on the different MHz frequency it's on (700mHz?)
    01-31-2011 05:30 PM
    yea, i just called my buddy with g2, he said he is on his all day for music web browsing youtube, downloading stuff. an he doesnt charge until he goes to sleep. i think this is a good sign. but i will def get a car charger just in case
    01-31-2011 06:42 PM
    When i bring home the Thunderbolt the first thing I will be buying for it will be an extended battery, not those big bulky ones that make your phone a few inches thicker but the thin one. I bought one for my Incredible and it has let me make it through the day with moderate usage
    02-01-2011 09:59 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD