HTC Thunderbolt vs. Merge from a gaming perspective

Spartan616

Dec 7, 2009
Visit site
So I've been waiting for the Merge since I got wind of an android qwerty world phone on Verizon. But there's still no solid news of whether or not it's coming out, let alone for Verizon. So I've been looking at the 'Bolt after the CES event. I like the big screen, camera setup, preinstalled 32GB microSD card, etc.

But one of the biggest reasons why I wanted the Merge is because I could have a keyboard to map buttons to when I'm playing with emulators or other android games. I could just get/make a bluetooth gamepad like this but I've never messed with circuit boards, know how to solder, and if I had someone else do it, it'd be around $100, as materials now is about ~$60 alone.

I have an iPod Touch so I'm familiar with playing games on a multitouch screen, but I much prefer actual buttons. If we're talking about using the merge or bolt as just a phone/pda I'd pick the 'bolt hands down, but I really want to play other games on my phone.

So I really need to ask, for gaming intentions, what is better? Thunderbolt or Merge?

MowDownJoe

Regular lawnmower man...
Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
Seeing as the Merge is the Duke Nukem Forever of phones... (wait, that analogy doesn't fly anymore... damn)...

If you need a keyboard, go with the Droid 2 Global or Droid Pro (yes, even though hacking it is a futile endeavor). Merge doesn't look like it's coming to Verizon anytime soon.

I am Fake Jesus

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
g2 on tmo is great for gaming. an on valentines day its free with contract. id take g2 over droid 2 anyday...just me. but of course if tmo is crappy in your area then nvm.

i dont think the merge will come out for verizon. if it does they scrapped it to make it a 4g phone. as the droid 3 is coming this year. an im sure that wont look any differ than the og.

Spartan616

Dec 7, 2009
Visit site
Seeing as the Merge is the Duke Nukem Forever of phones... (wait, that analogy doesn't fly anymore... damn)...

If you need a keyboard, go with the Droid 2 Global or Droid Pro (yes, even though hacking it is a futile endeavor). Merge doesn't look like it's coming to Verizon anytime soon.

Ugh. No offense, but I can't stand the Droid 2's keyboard. As for switching to T-mobile, my current phone (LG Dare) is under a family plan, so it's kind of hard for me to switch to T-Mobile.