Why is this not a "Droid"??

potatolover1102

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Why would Verizon not consider their first ever 4g phone to be worthy of the DROID branding and ad campaign?? I mean I know it just a name and all but I personally love the whole presentation of it with their ads and the names and the image in general. I mean if you go to people on the street and ask what is the thunderbolt they will not know but if you say what is a droid they will at least say isn't that on Verizon or know what it is! I mean this phone has much better specs that the incredible which is a DROID. I don't know but to me "DROID Bionic" sounds bad ass and intimidating but the HTC thunderbolt? Now not to confuse, I love the Thunderbolt name but I think maybe DROID Thunderbolt is better and has a better branding image. Does anyone else agree? I mean I know the Bionic will have a major mind numbing campaign and wow everyone and the Thunderbolt doesn't even have a press release two weeks from supposed release! Why do you think Verizon did not give this a DROID brand?

potatolover1102

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Yeah it is definitely a a Verizon brand licensed from Lucasarts. Also how is this not exclusive? I know it resembles the EVO and desire but its not them and is exclusive unlike the galaxy s phones and soon to be LG??

bkorver

Mar 17, 2010
Visit site
Here's the deal... There is no evidence this won't be called the "Droid Thunderbolt" at launch. It was the HTC Incredible right up until the last second, and the Incredible's box didn't say "Droid" anywhere on it... So to say this isn't a "Droid" is a little pre-mature. HTC did have the "Droid" Eris and "Droid" Incredible, so there is nothing saying this won't be the "Droid" Thunderbolt....

bkorver

Mar 17, 2010
Visit site
Um... the four letter "B" word? It's not in the RUU so I am leaning towards the Droid branding just before launch...

But, I've been wrong before!

potatolover1102

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Like I said it is not a huge deal it is just that when it comes to Verizon they use DROID as there like seal of excellence or whatever. The ad campaigns are much better and have more money and they support it very well, no that they wont with this phone. It is just the whole overall image of a droid is a lot better than just a "regular android phone".

I am Fake Jesus

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
it really doesnt matter. it doesnt have bing. an this phone will probaly get the droid brand to make tons of commercials with the usual verizon droid theme

INK

Banned
Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
I don't care what Verizon or HTc says, My Tbolt will be called Droid Mecha{They should have used that name, its soo bad ass.}

So yea if I day Droid Mecha I mean Thunderbolt.

{Still isn't over the name.}

@Droidxcon: Droid makes it sound that much cooler, and droid ads are always the coolest.

bkorver

Mar 17, 2010
Visit site
Something tells me there are going to be a boatload of CGI lightning strikes on my tv over the next couple of months either way. I think Verizon will be more than happy to let as many people as possible know they now have access to LTE (that is, if they have access to a sizable amount of cash)

upz3

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Like I said it is not a huge deal it is just that when it comes to Verizon they use DROID as there like seal of excellence or whatever. The ad campaigns are much better and have more money and they support it very well, no that they wont with this phone. It is just the whole overall image of a droid is a lot better than just a "regular android phone".

Non Droid Thunderbolt Potential Marketing > Non Droid LG Vortex :)