Netflix on Thunderbolt?

Bwangster12

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
The article talks about Netflix being pre-installed on devices allowed to use it, and it not being available in the market. Doesn't sound like the Thunderbolt will have it. Yeah, I know it could be installed via a OTA update, but I'm questioning.

Sounds as if they are worried about speed of the streaming and security.

durangojim#AC

Banned
Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
The article talks about Netflix being pre-installed on devices allowed to use it, and it not being available in the market. Doesn't sound like the Thunderbolt will have it. Yeah, I know it could be installed via a OTA update, but I'm questioning.

Sounds as if they are worried about speed of the streaming and security.

Probably more about security than anything else, since other OSs already stream over 3G.

thedeceiver

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Probably more about security than anything else, since other OSs already stream over 3G.

Netflix has a blog on this already. They seemed to indicate that it was a DRM issue (Android has none built in) versus a hardware limitation. If my iPhone 3GS can stream Netflix, why can't my brand new Thunderbolt?

Netflix is going to get behind the partners it thinks will work with it best and give it the most bang for it's buck.

And... this is a perfect example of Android's negatives.

dc7261600

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
I wonder if someone at MWC could ask about this at either the Qualcomm or HTC displays...

I AM SERIOUSLY PISSED IF THUNDERBOLT WILL NOT HAVE NETFLIX.

Bwangster12

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
Well, right off the bat, it appears that LG is a company Netflix is working with. Anytime I've heard mention of Netflix on Android, it has been on the LG Revolution. Both at CES and now at MWC.

thedeceiver

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Well, right off the bat, it appears that LG is a company Netflix is working with. Anytime I've heard mention of Netflix on Android, it has been on the LG Revolution. Both at CES and now at MWC.

Hopefully HTC gets on the bandwagon. Netflix is a huge plus for any Tablet for me. I won't touch an Android tablet until I can tell if it'll stream Netflix or not.

Chrisy

Banned
Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I really want Netflix on the TB. I used to get Netflix in snail mail but cancelled because that was slow and I didn't think justified the $14/month.

I'd get NF again if I could use my phone to watch.

I am Fake Jesus

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
i agree chrisy, i used netflix before. cancelled it. i dload most my movies to my external hhard drive or rent on my cable box. but with netflix on my phone i could watch at airport or at work wen bored at work an so on. i really hope we get it on the bolt

Chrisy

Banned
Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
See, if I had a computer I might get Netflix again. Or a gaming console to watch them on.

But I have neither (don't want) and so I was getting 2 movies per week.

I get PPV also, which is expensive. I def agree that I'd watch a lot of Netflix on my phone, on the go.

Heck I'd watch right now while I'm on lunch break! Ha

treylaramore

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
This is quite probably an ignorant question, but is there any chance of someone being able to take the netflix app from an approved phones ROM and baking it into a new custom ROM for us (future) Bolt users? - or is there something hardware related that would prevent this?

Bwangster12

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
I would assume if it were possible to take from another phone, we may be able to just side load it onto the "stock" Thunderbolt rom. Assuming Netflix doesn't do some wacky security thing.

Bwangster12

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
Durangojim, that was exactly my reaction. While I'd love to get excited, this is a guess by an Android blog right? They are guessing the Bolt will have Netflix because of the talk about the newer Snapdragon processors getting it. I've only seen videos of the LG Revolution demoing the app.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jcl678