Anyone else feeling like they'll be trading in their TB in 4-5 months?

Joelist

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
What does the Bolt use and why is PM bad?

The Bolt is SLCD.

As to why PM can be bad it has to do with it not using true RGB. The result (if not implemented completely right) can be jagged looking text edges and also a sort of pink-ish hue in some colors (this shows up a lot on the iPhone 4).

durangojim#AC

Banned
Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
The Bolt is SLCD.

As to why PM can be bad it has to do with it not using true RGB. The result (if not implemented completely right) can be jagged looking text edges and also a sort of pink-ish hue in some colors (this shows up a lot on the iPhone 4).

The iphone 4 isn't pentile matrix, but the incredible and original super amoled phones are. For people with good near vision, this causes things to look a little more pixelated because you have fewer "true pixels". Samsung did away with the pentile matrix in their new Super Amoled + screens which makes them look sharper. The iphone 4 never had it and neither did the original droid. The new SLCD screen of the incredible doesn't have it either. Some people don't notice it, but for those of us who do, it can be annoying.

The Motorola Atrix 4G Preview - AnandTech :: Your Source for Hardware Analysis and News

Joelist

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
Interesting. I thought the iPhone 4 had it as their "retina" display is a Samsung, and because I have looked at iPhone 4's and seen the exact symptoms Anand listed (plus to me their display is not bright enough).

You learn new things every day.

asianrage

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Here's a question to ponder:

What's the point of (planning on) buying a phone only to upgrade to another new one 4-5 months later? Is it a matter of shifting around disposable income? I mean, if your current phone still works, wouldn't it be better to just actually wait for that ideal phone? I'm just curious.

Joelist

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site

What's the point of (planning on) buying a phone only to upgrade to another new one 4-5 months later? Is it a matter of shifting around disposable income? I mean, if your current phone still works, wouldn't it be better to just actually wait for that ideal phone? I'm just curious.

Speaking on my own behalf I do not plan to upgrade again in 4-5 months. I am waiting on the TB so that when I go back to HTC (never should have left) I will have a fully up to date phone. After that I am good for the next 12 months minimum.

DolfanCole

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site

You sound like my wife! :D Totally kidding ... well sort of ...

This is really where I am now. I've been eligible for an upgrade since last August and I've been waiting for that "ideal" phone. Problem is, it hasn't come around yet. And now my desire for a new phone is starting to overcome my willingness to keep waiting. So, I'm falling into that situation where I'd like to upgrade now and somewhat settle, and then, in essence, buy more time for that "ideal" phone to come along.

There's also the fact that while my current phone (BlackBerry Tour) works fine, it doesn't do the things that the nicer current phones do. And to have that better experience, I need the newer phone, even though there's functionally nothing wrong with what I have.

asianrage

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site

This is really where I am now. I've been eligible for an upgrade since last August and I've been waiting for that "ideal" phone. Problem is, it hasn't come around yet. And now my desire for a new phone is starting to overcome my willingness to keep waiting. So, I'm falling into that situation where I'd like to upgrade now and somewhat settle, and then, in essence, buy more time for that "ideal" phone to come along.

There's also the fact that while my current phone (BlackBerry Tour) works fine, it doesn't do the things that the nicer current phones do. And to have that better experience, I need the newer phone, even though there's functionally nothing wrong with what I have.

I'm sure that my wife would be proud of my line of thought. She's influenced me well.... :whip: :whip:

Actually, I've been on the market for a replacement for a few months now and when I first heard of the Thunderbolt (with its rumored dual core proc) and
LTE speed, I was hooked. Now, I know that the Thunderbolt wouldn't be that last phone, just a really good phone that I could keep for a long time...until the next quad-core hotness...

VideoEngineerAJS

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site

You and I are pretty much in the same boat. The only difference is that my Storm is supposed to be in the same "genre" as the other phones and it's severely lacking and the memory leaks are horrible. The only reason I'm even able to use my Storm now is because I pretty much got rid of all but 2 apps and even with doing that, I can't get over 20MB of free app memory.

DolfanCole

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
I'm sure that my wife would be proud of my line of thought. She's influenced me well.... :whip: :whip:

I hear ya ...

Actually, I've been on the market for a replacement for a few months now and when I first heard of the Thunderbolt (with its rumored dual core proc) and
LTE speed, I was hooked. Now, I know that the Thunderbolt wouldn't be that last phone, just a really good phone that I could keep for a long time...until the next quad-core hotness...

Note that the TBolt does not have a dual core. It's only a single core. And that's part of the "settling" for this phone for me as we know that just about all of the phones in the near future will have at least dual cores. So, do I continue to wait ... Tough call.

DolfanCole

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
You and I are pretty much in the same boat. The only difference is that my Storm is supposed to be in the same "genre" as the other phones and it's severely lacking and the memory leaks are horrible. The only reason I'm even able to use my Storm now is because I pretty much got rid of all but 2 apps and even with doing that, I can't get over 20MB of free app memory.

I feel your pain. I had a Storm. Got it at release. Then I couldn't wait to get rid of it and got the Tour when it was released. That's what I have now and I don't know if I could survive without QuickPull. It's sad when you basically have to do a daily battery pull.

That's another part of the settling for me too though. I disliked the all-touchscreen. I much preferred having a physical keyboard. That's when the Merge looked like a great option for me to finally jump ship. So, I'm "settling" again for an all-touchscreen device, albeit it much better touchscreen device than the Storm.

asianrage

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Note that the TBolt does not have a dual core. It's only a single core. And that's part of the "settling" for this phone for me as we know that just about all of the phones in the near future will have at least dual cores. So, do I continue to wait ... Tough call.

Yeah, once it was revealed that the TB is basically a re-skinned DesireHD, I was a bit bummed out. But I know that the phone is a great phone, regardless of the 6 month old "gasp" electronics. Yet, for what I need, which is the LTE speed and a smooth running quality gear (that HTC is known for, come on, Sense UI on unibody construction!!!!), it's good enough for a while.

SpaceHippie

Journeyman
Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
Nope. See this phone is a stop gap for me. Im either getting this, the DX or X2. Then keeping it until next year when im eligible for an upgrade. Next years phones are gonna be SICK! Dual Core, 4G, 64gb cards, better screens.

Joelist

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, once it was revealed that the TB is basically a re-skinned DesireHD, I was a bit bummed out. But I know that the phone is a great phone, regardless of the 6 month old "gasp" electronics. Yet, for what I need, which is the LTE speed and a smooth running quality gear (that HTC is known for, come on, Sense UI on unibody construction!!!!), it's good enough for a while.

Here we go again...

The TB is not a "reskinned" Desire HD. It has a somewhat similar looking outer case but after that:

8GB internal memory versus 1.5GB on Desire HD

Front facing camera (none on Desire HD)

Newer Generation CPU

Speaker on back under kickstand (Desire HD has neither)

Different rear camera too (newer Gen)

Larger Battery

LTE

Simulataneous use of voice and data (even over 3G)

asianrage

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Here we go again...

The TB is not a "reskinned" Desire HD. It has a somewhat similar looking outer case but after that:

8GB internal memory versus 1.5GB on Desire HD

Front facing camera (none on Desire HD)

Newer Generation CPU

Speaker on back under kickstand (Desire HD has neither)

Different rear camera too (newer Gen)

Larger Battery

LTE

Simulataneous use of voice and data (even over 3G)

Yes, I know these specs. I don't know however whether the 8MP camera is new or HTC just updated the software for this camera.

biff6789

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
Yes, I know these specs. I don't know however whether the 8MP camera is new or HTC just updated the software for this camera.

If I remember, I believe the hardware itself is improved in order to increase aperture range in order to improve low-light photos

But I agree with what other people are saying: No phone is "perfect". The TB has great specs, but isn't dual core. The Bionic has dual core, but has a locked bootloader and only 512 RAM. The upcoming Droid x 2 has great hardware, but is missing a front-facing camera. Even the almighty AT&T Atrix with its powerful hardware can't do 4G... there's always SOMETHING missing.

You can't just sit around and wait for the next best thing forever or you'll never buy anything. There's always a better phone coming up right around the corner. As for me, the TB's specs are more than sufficient for what I need.

It's like owning a computer: Just because my Core i7 is "outdated" now that the new Sandy Bridge processors have been released, it doesn't mean my computer will now be "slow"... it'll still be a wicked fast and awesome machine. And so it is with the TB. It might not have the best hardware in the world, but it comes pretty dang close - and I prefer HTC anyway since they have the most development behind them over at XDA ;)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Samira