Video Out

mpciii

Jan 22, 2010
Visit site
I know the Thunderbolt does not have an HDMI port, but are there any video cables that will be compatible other than using DLNA to stream. I thought I read somewhere that someone with an Incredible had a video out cable that worked with the usb port but I could be wrong. I don't mind it not being hd I would just like an easy way to show videos on a tv.

Bwangster12

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
They make microUSB to HDMI cables... can those be used to accomplish the same thing? Obviously we couldn't charge the phone while you were doing this though.

Reactions: mpciii

mpciii

Jan 22, 2010
Visit site
Good to know. I obviously wouldn't streaming movies but I'd like the option to play quick home movies of the kids for grandparents etc. That helps with my decision.
Thanks

project.in.process

May 18, 2010
Visit site
my brother has the HTC Incredible
he hooked it up to the TV using the USB cable that came with the phone (as a charging/data transfer cable) and it popped up on the tv as a media device from which he could choose to show his videos

i have an HTC Evo, and have done the same thing, via the USB connection to the television

therefore, i'd assume the same could be done for the HTC TB

edoublediz

Banned
Jan 26, 2010
Visit site
my brother has the HTC Incredible
he hooked it up to the TV using the USB cable that came with the phone (as a charging/data transfer cable) and it popped up on the tv as a media device from which he could choose to show his videos

i have an HTC Evo, and have done the same thing, via the USB connection to the television

therefore, i'd assume the same could be done for the HTC TB

that has absolutely nothing to do with what he is talking about. what you are talking about is basically using the phone as a usb thumb drive for the compatible tv with usb port to access files stored on phone. this is not like using the video out of the phone for display on a tv.

edoublediz

Banned
Jan 26, 2010
Visit site
They make microUSB to HDMI cables... can those be used to accomplish the same thing? Obviously we couldn't charge the phone while you were doing this though.

just because they make the cable, doesnt make it compatible. this is DEFINITELY something that would have to have been engineered into the phone. the samsung galaxy line does use this so that is promising.

project.in.process

May 18, 2010
Visit site
that has absolutely nothing to do with what he is talking about. what you are talking about is basically using the phone as a usb thumb drive for the compatible tv with usb port to access files stored on phone. this is not like using the video out of the phone for display on a tv.

op: "I know the Thunderbolt does not have an HDMI port, but are there any video cables that will be compatible other than using DLNA to stream. I thought I read somewhere that someone with an Incredible had a video out cable that worked with the usb port but I could be wrong. I don't mind it not being hd I would just like an easy way to show videos on a tv.

that seems to me like he/she is looking for a way to show videos on a tv. also seems like my response of using a USB cable is valid. the television recognized the video files stored on the phone & appeared to have the ability to play those files--OP never mentioned mirror-mode or wanting to simultaneously show the static image of his/her homescreen on the television.

and in terms of "wanting to stream"--unless a phone is rooted, no videos from sites like Amazon mobile or flash on webpages can be streamed UNLESS those videos are stored on the phone's memory card/internal memory--which then would be accessible via a USB cable hooked up to the tv.

Last edited:

mpciii

Jan 22, 2010
Visit site
I really just wanted to know if there was a way to hook this phone to the tv with normal av cables to play videos like I do with my camcorder. My tv does not have a USB port or DLNA but it has plenty of AV in and HDMI ports.

bkorver

Mar 17, 2010
Visit site
You can buy a DLNA puck that plugs in to your tv via an HDMI port. That's how I roll and I haven't had any problems... and no cables!

realitydigg

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
I really just wanted to know if there was a way to hook this phone to the tv with normal av cables to play videos like I do with my camcorder. My tv does not have a USB port or DLNA but it has plenty of AV in and HDMI ports.

I think the answer is maybe.. till the phone comes out no one knows for sure. As mentioned above a DLNA puck will do, or if you have a PS3, Xbox, PC, some home theater receivers, or other device hooked up to your TV they should be able to discover your phone on the network using DLNA. Not always helpfull when you visit with mom and dad...

Bushido Brown

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
DLNA is a given. Whether it will support micro USB TV Out remains to be seen. Once someone does an unboxing video, I'm sure they'll go through the settings and reveal whether or not the option for TV Out exist or not.

If someone else has the definitive answer to this, I'm all ears. Because I'm interested in knowing myself.

edoublediz

Banned
Jan 26, 2010
Visit site
op: "I know the Thunderbolt does not have an HDMI port, but are there any video cables that will be compatible other than using DLNA to stream. I thought I read somewhere that someone with an Incredible had a video out cable that worked with the usb port but I could be wrong. I don't mind it not being hd I would just like an easy way to show videos on a tv.

that seems to me like he/she is looking for a way to show videos on a tv. also seems like my response of using a USB cable is valid. the television recognized the video files stored on the phone & appeared to have the ability to play those files--OP never mentioned mirror-mode or wanting to simultaneously show the static image of his/her homescreen on the television.

and in terms of "wanting to stream"--unless a phone is rooted, no videos from sites like Amazon mobile or flash on webpages can be streamed UNLESS those videos are stored on the phone's memory card/internal memory--which then would be accessible via a USB cable hooked up to the tv.

really the fact that he specifically asked for a video cable didnt clue you in?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20