Experience with checking out a demo unit

Bwangster12

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
I was hoping I could actually get to handle a demo unit prior to the launch (whenever that will be). I've read that some have actually gotten to hold it and see how it feels. If I were going to attempt this, would I be better off at one of those "Wireless Zones" or an actual Verizon store? I planned to play it casually, asking some questions and then asking if they had like a display model I could see.

I have one of each at about equal distance from my office and was thinking about heading over at lunch to just handle a dummy unit. I just want to make sure that the size is not too big for me. I was hoping to check out an Evo a few weeks ago, but can't seem to find a Sprint store that has it.

Last edited:

green77

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
I stopped at a VZW retailer at a kiosk in the mall and they had one last week. I was at a wireless zone also and the had one. Just keep looking and asking.

Bwangster12

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, haven't even tried yet. I was going to see if I could check it out for the first time. Just wasn't sure if I should try a Wireless Zone or an actual VZW store. Only really have time this afternoon for one or the other.

If they have, they let you check it out?

green77

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
When I stopped to inquire about the TB they said they have only seen the "Dummy" phone and they handed it to me. It was in the drawer under some papers, LOL

Bwangster12

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, thats all I want to see. I've seen enough videos of the software to know I'd like it. It's the hardware that I want to hold.

fire n ice

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
I was able to hold a dummy phone yesterday at my vzw store. I was quite impressed by the heftyness of the phone. Sizewise its very comfortable on my hand. Its a little wider and shorter than a fascinate and about as thick as an evo with a case.

Sent from my SCH-I500

Bwangster12

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
I've really only gotten to handle a Droid X and slip it in my pocket. I was blown away with how easy it slide in. Thought it would be a lot bigger.

Thats what she said...

Bwangster12

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
So I thought I'd update this as I just went to a Wireless Zone near Yonkers, NY.

Let me first say that this store had 2 people asking about the iPhone and they were told that they haven't even received them yet. They said they didn't get any at launch, mostly cause they aren't a corporate store.

Nonetheless, when I went in they had marketing materials everywhere for the Thunderbolt. I noticed a large, floor to about 5 feet tall standing board advertising the Thunderbolt and a picture frame sized advertisement on one of the checkout counters.

I asked the gentleman if he had a demo unit and he said he didn't. I spent a few mins walking around with him while he talked about phones. Then, I asked about my NE2 and he wanted to ask his manager. Thats when I said to both of them that I might wanna wait for the Thunderbolt. The manager said that he heard it was coming out the 17th, and I said I heard 24th too. He said "I have a demo unit, if you'd like to see."

He came back, handed it to me and walked away.

First, I have to say how nice it felt. Definitely feels solid. I was also surprised at the weight. It definitely feels like you are holding a solid piece of equipment. I had just spent a few seconds holding a Droid 2 and a Fascinate and would say that it is MUCH heavier than the Fascinate, and comparable to the Droid 2. At the same time, it wasn't nearly as large as I was expecting. It didn't seem overly thick and the height/width was very nice. Seemed like HTC did a nice job making sure the face was mostly screen. I assume if they did what Samsung did with the Fascinate, the Thunderbolt would have been a lot larger.

I got to slip it in my pocket and it slide right in. Barely felt it at all... but now that I think about it, the weight will probably be nice.

The manager seemed to think it was coming on the 17th, which is today... and then when I left the first guy said, see you on the 17th. They were very nice, but clearly didn't know anything about release date.

Last edited: