HTC Thunderbolt recalled by HTC due to camera issues?

Status
Not open for further replies.

project.in.process

May 18, 2010
Visit site
i heard they recalled it because they wanted to ship a special "Screw yOu Apple" sticker with each phone to put on your car that had LED's that showed the robot urinating on a tree of Apples and it transformed into a plane to fly you to your island and...
yeah...we all know where that was going...

blizz419

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
I don't believe that since it's the same camera on the Evo...Regardless of what obscure info someone might pull of the internets. They are both 8mp/1.3mp, auto focus, dual LED

it is not the same camera as the Evo the Evo may also have a 8MP dual LED flash but it's not the same camera, as i understand it Thunderbolts has a improved lens or something

FatalErrorz

Banned
Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
it is not the same camera as the Evo the Evo may also have a 8MP dual LED flash but it's not the same camera, as i understand it Thunderbolts has a improved lens or something

Same camera...if you have other info, post it. The one on the dummy unit at BB is identical. Edit: also, please explain to me how you "improve" a lens. All a lens does is grab the light (image) and reverse it. Since it is a digital zoom, and not an optical zoom, it's a single lens and not a complex (double convex) lens. There is nothing to improve. The 5.0mp on the Droid is probably the same "lens" also since HTC doesn't actually grind their own lens'. The megapixel sizing has nothing to do with an SLR lens.

Last edited:

DolfanCole

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
Same camera...if you have other info, post it. The one on the dummy unit at BB is identical.

How can you tell if it's the same camera by just looking at a dummy unit? The components may be completely different, even if they may both say "8MP". The sensor and lense could be completely different, and yet still be 8MP. I'm not saying either way, but I don't get how anyone can judge there's a difference or not by looking at a dummy unit.

FatalErrorz

Banned
Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
How can you tell if it's the same camera by just looking at a dummy unit? The components may be completely different, even if they may both say "8MP". The sensor and lense could be completely different, and yet still be 8MP. I'm not saying either way, but I don't get how anyone can judge there's a difference or not by looking at a dummy unit.

I was editing my post when you were replying. Read the rest of my entry. Of course, you could be right in the aspect that the T-Bolt lens comes from Vietnam or china whereas the Evo Lens may have come from America or Taiwan. Regardless, just because it may have come from a different country doesn't mean it would be "improved" as it's spec'd the same. A lens either focuses, or it doesn't, therefore if the diameter of the lens is xx.x millimeters, they are ground to the same angle or they won't focus unless it is moved a significant amount further from the shutter/sensor. Seeing how the phones, for all intents and purposes are the same thickness, it would be the same lens. The CASE is thicker on the bolt to go flush with the camera lens, but that's so it doesn't scratch.

Last edited:

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Same camera...if you have other info, post it. The one on the dummy unit at BB is identical. Edit: also, please explain to me how you "improve" a lens. All a lens does is grab the light (image) and reverse it. Since it is a digital zoom, and not an optical zoom, it's a single lens and not a complex (double convex) lens. There is nothing to improve. The 5.0mp on the Droid is probably the same "lens" also since HTC doesn't actually grind their own lens'. The megapixel sizing has nothing to do with an SLR lens.

Go read up on camera technology and get back to us. (because its clear you don't know what you're talking about)

By your reasoning, the camera on the iPhone is the same as the one on the thunderbolt, and they're both the same as the one on the HTC Hero. Its a ridiculous notion.

FatalErrorz

Banned
Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Go read up on camera technology and get back to us. (because its clear you don't know what you're talking about)

By your reasoning, the camera on the iPhone is the same as the one on the thunderbolt, and they're both the same as the one on the HTC Hero. Its a ridiculous notion.

My my, aren't you a rude little boy? Are we talking CAMERA now, or are we still talking about the LENS? I'm asking because my reply had to do with the silly notion that the Thundercat has an "improved lens".

prim8

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
I love f#@%ing with them. My favorite is when you ask about a product and they start reading the information card so you ask them something you know the card doesn't have on it and they just look at you like a deer caught in headlights.

Yup, because everyone knows it's easy to remember lots of specs on dozens of products and if you don't you're obviously dumb.

DolfanCole

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
I was editing my post when you were replying. Read the rest of my entry. Of course, you could be right in the aspect that the T-Bolt lens comes from Vietnam or china whereas the Evo Lens may have come from America or Taiwan. Regardless, just because it may have come from a different country doesn't mean it would be "improved" as it's spec'd the same. A lens either focuses, or it doesn't, therefore if the diameter of the lens is xx.x millimeters, they are ground to the same angle or they won't focus unless it is moved a significant amount further from the shutter/sensor. Seeing how the phones, for all intents and purposes are the same thickness, it would be the same lens. The CASE is thicker on the bolt to go flush with the camera lens, but that's so it doesn't scratch.

There's much more to a lens than thickness. Otherwise there wouldnt be much of a difference in all lenses, even for SLR cameras. Clearly there are better lenses than others, even given the same specs. Then there's the sensor capabilities, which can differ.

Again, though, I have no idea whether they are the same or not. I just don't believe that thickness, etc., has any bearing on whether they are or not.

blizz419

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
notice how i said improved lense or "something" i just remember reading somewere there was something about the camera that was improved it may be the sensor i do not remember it's also possible what i read was incorrect my point being that just because it's 8MP dual LED does not mean it's the same exact camera as the Evo

colesl4w

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
in one of the CES videos the guy said it was better than the Evo's camera, and did better in low light... so I'm guessing its a better camera. lens or not.

Reactions: blizz419

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
The truth is I have highjacked all of Bestbuys trucks and will be selling the Thunderbolt out of my trunk. For those who want one I am located between Rumor Avenue and Story Street.

Reactions: evilmunkeh
Status
Not open for further replies.