HTC Thunderbolt recalled by HTC due to camera issues?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FatalErrorz

Banned
Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
in one of the CES videos the guy said it was better than the Evo's camera, and did better in low light... so I'm guessing its a better camera. lens or not.

Well, I'll find out if they ever release the phone as my wife is getting one, and I own an Evo. She can laugh all she wants, but when I throw out the "I have 4G, do you?" she gets all mad and pouts.

blizz419

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Well, I'll find out if they ever release the phone as my wife is getting one, and I own an Evo. she can laugh all she wants, but then I throw out the "I have 4G, do you?" and she gets all mad and pouts.

and then she ends up with a faster 4G than you if she's getting a Tbolt lol

Joelist

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
It won't matter if you have an Evo5000. LTE is an inherently better technology than WiMax (and if Sprint switches to LTE it will be really interesting as the radios on their current "4g" phones will not be usable).

FatalErrorz

Banned
Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
and then she ends up with a faster 4G than you if she's getting a Tbolt lol

I wouldn't be trying to brag up VZW anyhow...Hell, the Evo 4G is almost a year old and VZW STILL hasn't released a 4G phone, and has no 4G network to go with it when they finally do...lol VZW is WAY behind the times when T-Mobile beats them. There's also the other story running around this board asking if VZW's plan isn;t a little ambitious and suggesting it will be 2012 before LTE even starts to take off...

FatalErrorz

Banned
Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
It won't matter if you have an Evo5000. LTE is an inherently better technology than WiMax (and if Sprint switches to LTE it will be really interesting as the radios on their current "4g" phones will not be usable).

3G will still work, but you're talking 2-3 years down the road, so 99% of people with smart phones will have a new one anyhow.

bkorver

Mar 17, 2010
Visit site
notice how i said improved lense or "something" i just remember reading somewere there was something about the camera that was improved it may be the sensor i do not remember it's also possible what i read was incorrect my point being that just because it's 8MP dual LED does not mean it's the same exact camera as the Evo

The difference between the Thunderbolt and Evo cameras are not the lens. It's the photo sensor. The Evo uses the omnivision BSI sensor and the Thunderbolt uses the much improved CMOS.

FatalErrorz

Banned
Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Anybody know if VZW is stocking extended mAh batteries at the store yet? The battery is 100mAh smaller than the Evo which doesn't last all that long, but does the job if you turn things off.

blizz419

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Anybody know if VZW is stocking extended mAh batteries at the store yet? The battery is 100mAh smaller than the Evo which doesn't last all that long, but does the job if you turn things off.

yea i'm def getting an extended battery seido has a 1600 mAh battery that doesn't require a new battery cover, though the 2nd gen snapdragon is more energy efficient than Evo's we still have to see how much of a drain the LTE radio is gonna be i've heard LTE drains less than sprint's Wimax but we'll see by how much when they finally release this phone

potatolover1102

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
yea i'm def getting an extended battery seido has a 1600 mAh battery that doesn't require a new battery cover, though the 2nd gen snapdragon is more energy efficient than Evo's we still have to see how much of a drain the LTE radio is gonna be i've heard LTE drains less than sprint's Wimax but we'll see by how much when they finally release this phone

Would you think 1600 is worth the money? I mean no new case is nice but is that 200 extra really that much?

FatalErrorz

Banned
Jan 12, 2011
Visit site

Qualcomm Snapdragon Processor V3 coming | Android Community

they are already working on Gen 3 for 2011 phones...T-Bolt = Outdated before it's ever released...? (kidding, it'll be a good phone)

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Ok so answer me this. If all lenses are the same, why do Panasonic Lumix cameras tout a Leica lens and Kodak tout their Schneider lenses?

If I recall correctly, one of the phones that came out last year had a Schneider lens on it (first time I heard of a camera manufacturer lens on a phone as they usually use a brand X lens).

There are tons of companies that make their own lenses. Leica, Schneider, Olympus, Canon, Nikon, Pentax, etc. If they were all the same there would be no reason to brand them.

Here is an article that discusses what affects image quality.

Understanding resolution and MTF

And another talks about the difference between lens manufacturers

http://www.waynesthisandthat.com/bestcameralensbrand.html

And yes, at CES, they were talking how the Tbolt had a better lens, sensor & camera software than is available on the Evo & Incredible. I have an Incredible & it does good (for a phone) but the Tbolt is supposed to be better in low light & reduce the capture time considerably, as well as others I can't recall offhand.

Reactions: blizz419

FatalErrorz

Banned
Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Ok so answer me this. If all lenses are the same, why do Panasonic Lumix cameras tout a Leica lens and Kodak tout their Schneider lenses?
Because they are in a partnership with that lens producer, like Ford was with Pioneer for their stereos.

If I recall correctly, one of the phones that came out last year had a Schneider lens on it (first time I heard of a camera manufacturer lens on a phone as they usually use a brand X lens). And last year a phone came out with 2.2 Froyo...yay...it's called "CHANGE"

There are tons of companies that make their own lenses. Leica, Schneider, Olympus, Canon, Nikon, Pentax, etc. If they were all the same there would be no reason to brand them.And every one of those you listed is a CAMERA COMPANY, and not a PHONE COMPANY like HTC. They brand their lenses to develop a following, and then you have the Carl Zeiss lenscrafter followers. I have a Zeiss lens for my Nikon, and the Sony came with one...Can't tell a difference between it or the Nikon lens...

Here is an article that discusses what affects image quality.

Understanding resolution and MTF

And another talks about the difference between lens manufacturers

Which Company Makes the Best Camera Lenses? I am talking about a lens of the SAME SIZE...OD, ID, and thickness like the Evo and T-Bolt...Would you guys learn how to ****ing READ? Were you up all night thinking about this? If so, you should have wasted your time on something else.

And yes, at CES, they were talking how the Tbolt had a better lens, sensor & camera software than is available on the Evo & Incredible. Nothing like a little subjectivity since they weren't taking the T-Bolt apart at CES I have an Incredible & it does good (for a phone) I have an Evo and it sucks for a camera, even at 8mp. My 14mp Sony is much better, but I'll stick with my Canon and Nikon 35mm's for real pictures. but the Tbolt is supposed to be better in low light & reduce the capture time considerably, as well as others I can't recall offhand.
Low Light would have absolutely NOTHING to do with the lens, but it would with the shutter and sensor. NEXT!

Last edited:

dajogejr

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
and VZW STILL hasn't released a 4G phone, and has no 4G network to go with it when they finally do

I disagree wholeheartedly.
Off topic...but on this subject...
I just got in 3 free upgrade LTE air cards for a few of my users yesterday.

We've had LTE in Detroit since the prior week.
WOW is all I can say. I've been getting bored and frustrated by all the talk of this phone.
After seeing how fast an LTE USB card is for a laptop...I have a renewed sense of excitement for this phone.
Albeit cautious....as it pertains to release dates.

LTE is no joke. It is smoking fast.
Whether it remains fast once there are plenty of users on it...remains to be seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.