Apple and the Thunderbolt

thedeceiver

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I'm sure you guys have all heard by now but Intel and Apple are expected to show off their new data transmission technology and rumor has it they will call it Thunderbolt.

I am sure that this is going to set off a considerable amount of confusion. While Thunderbolt (Apple Version) is rumored to be available only initially on Macbook's, it's reasonable that future versions of the iPhone/iPad will support it.

I wonder which Thunderbolt makes it to market first. ;)

Apple's Light Peak implementation called Thunderbolt, coming in new MacBook Pros? -- Engadget

leehblanc

Nov 18, 2010
Visit site
I'm sure you guys have all heard by now but Intel and Apple are expected to show off their new data transmission technology and rumor has it they will call it Thunderbolt.

I am sure that this is going to set off a considerable amount of confusion. While Thunderbolt (Apple Version) is rumored to be available only initially on Macbook's, it's reasonable that future versions of the iPhone/iPad will support it.

I wonder which Thunderbolt makes it to market first. ;)

Apple's Light Peak implementation called Thunderbolt, coming in new MacBook Pros? -- Engadget

I was JUST about to post this. Here's another way to look at it. Apple vehemently defends their trademarks and copyrights. If they are getting into a pissing contest over this... we may be delayed while HTC produces new software, backs, and boxes for Verizon's first LTE phone, the "Lightning Bolt" A few years back they threatened "iphonefans.com" or something to that effect to change their name to "eyephonefans.com"

Before anybody points it out, I know that VZW continues to advertise the phone...that's the part that doesn't fit.

thedeceiver

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I was JUST about to post this. Here's another way to look at it. Apple vehemently defends their trademarks and copyrights. If they are getting into a pissing contest over this... we may be delayed while HTC produces new software, backs, and boxes for Verizon's first LTE phone, the "Lightning Bolt" A few years back they threatened "iphonefans.com" or something to that effect to change their name to "eyephonefans.com"

Before anybody points it out, I know that VZW continues to advertise the phone...that's the part that doesn't fit.

It'd be interesting which one of them has it registered as a Trademark. HTC is definitely going to be able to claim that they were the first to market with the name and that the devices are similar enough (Consumer electronic) that the names may cause confusion.

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
I can guarantee you one thing, if the situation was reversed and Apple had come out with something titled "Thunderbolt" first, they'd be all over HTC and the courts like bread on butter.

TBolt2011

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
Well according to the United States Patent and Trademark Office I don't see Apple having that name as a trademark and Verizon filed it back in December of 2010. patent office link...did basic search for THUNDERBOLT
Unless I'm not seeing it correctly then I don't think Apple will have anything to say.

Not that Verizon will do anything about it. Now that they have their precious iPhone, Apple can get away with anything they want short of a company takeover.

joski

Aug 19, 2010
Visit site
It's too bad. On one hand, it sucks that Verizon probably won't do anything about it, but on the other hand, it's irritating that Apple does SO much about this type of thing that it reminds you of that protective girlfriend you once had in highschool that constantly prods you with HER issues to the point you finally learn to dismiss it because it's so damn typical.

Yuck.

zenit#AC

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
the funniest thing is that Apple is probably going to benefit big time from the Thunderbolt advertising push paid by Verizon/HTC, considering the Thunderbolt (phone) commercials are rather vague, and the phone is still vaporware.

Nakeek

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
They should call it the smoke and mirrors

They should rename it Smoke and mirror, thats about all we've seen is a few demo phones and from Verizon in announcements nothing.

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
the funniest thing is that Apple is probably going to benefit big time from the Thunderbolt advertising push paid by Verizon/HTC, considering the Thunderbolt (phone) commercials are rather vague, and the phone is still vaporware.

Honestly, I wouldn't be at all surprised if they did that on purpose.

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
So when I get my new HTC Thunderbolt will I be able to hook it up to the Thunderbolt port on my new MacBook Pro? Would doing so cause the universe to collapse in on itself and a vortex of lightning to be created?

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Well according to the United States Patent and Trademark Office I don't see Apple having that name as a trademark and Verizon filed it back in December of 2010. patent office link...did basic search for THUNDERBOLT
Unless I'm not seeing it correctly then I don't think Apple will have anything to say.

On December 2nd 2010 they decided to register Thunderbolt, there are a total of 44 live registrations for the trademark thunderbolt. I wonder though Verizon may have to point it out to Apple or risk Apple nailing them for lack of trademark enforcement. I have no doubt they would do just that.

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site

Apple may have registered it through a 'fake' company in order to hide the registration from the press. They do it all the time. Either that, or it could be a confidential filing that won't be released for a while.

There is also the very real possibility that this naming convention was Intel's doing, not Apple's. (The tech is an intel/apple collab. despite the fact that Apple gave the tech to intel in the first place)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kimberly Ryan