ACTUAL 4g LTE speeds

Jonecat

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
that means nothing. at all. a router is a very dedicated and purpose-built device and processor speeds cant be compared, almost ever. the router's also using a wired connection to the wired modem while a phone uses wireless to a radio tower miles away...

phones are very week compared to PCs and probably wont be able to really utilize the full speeds of 4G for some time. even tho a site may download at 15MBps the phone may not be able to load the page that quickly, defeating the purpose of the awesome connection.

you cant compare an end device to a networking device...

I could not disagree more, when I am tethering this thing I will have no such CPU limitation. Not to mention my Droid X is so much faster on WiFi than 3G so I am sure there will be plenty of power to handle data speeds higher than 3G.

VideoEngineerAJS

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
I could not disagree more, when I am tethering this thing I will have no such CPU limitation. Not to mention my Droid X is so much faster on WiFi than 3G so I am sure there will be plenty of power to handle data speeds higher than 3G.

I agree, I wasn't saying that it won't be screaming compared to 3G phones, I was simply saying that there will always be a bit of a latency lag between phones and data cards/sticks.

You're not going to get 20-30ms ping times on a phone.

m4nc1n1

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
oh, something like this ;)

1171444519.png

your hit...

ongre10

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
I will use the TBolt to stream audio at work, the IP Nazi's put on blocking software to stop people from facebook and other sites so I can't listen to streaming music or anything while I work. I tried a 3G modem and the Clear 3g/4G modem. Both dropped out sometimes, I think that is related to the latency. The Clear 4G, when it worked, was really good though not nearly the speeds that LTE promises. I streamed through an iPod Touch; at home with the WiFi it is nearly as fast as my computer.
So I look forward to the 3 to 5 speed or so with as low a latency as possible. Faster will be a very good thing and a pleasant surprise.

dajogejr

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
At the end of the day...when the network is saturated and in use....realistically if I can get 6 to 10MB down and 3 to 6MB up...I will be happy with that for a long, long time.

mcs1990

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
30 Mb/s is pretty fast. You mentioned CPU ability and latency. Should the LTE network feel snappier between pages because it has a lower latency? (i think).

Also i never have had a smart phone, so what about how quick the CPU renders web pages? From the videos I have seen, even under wifi, there is some load time, and i'm assuming even on a faster wifi network, the load time will be the roughly same. So lastly, will the time it takes to render a page in 4G, as opposed to Wifi, be similar but differ only due to latency? In other words, is the CPU the limiting factor on wifi and 4G? Sorta like how my ipod and computer will load a webpage at different speeds.

I has super fast internet speeds at college, so this is what im trying to compare with. Just to blow your mind....its over 680 Mb/s download at 5ms ping. Upload isnt too great. Thanks guys.

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
FWIW I'm averaging 20MB down and 10MB up with an average of 70ms of latency on my LG USB stick.

However, there are several variables to consider:

1. Network speeds/latency
2. CPU performance
3. GPU performance
4. Memory
5. And in web pages: rendering speed

There are theoretical limits to what the phone can process regardless of network performance. The government could raise the speed limit on freeways to 300 miles per hour and most cars will max out at 120 or so. We'd also start burning through gas faster even though our tanks haven't gotten any bigger - which is a similar issue that we're having with battery technology. People also talk about the speeds being reported today as being inflated due to an under utilized network. Back to the freeway analogy, when you start adding traffic, it slows things down because there are more people sharing the same resource.

There was a similar phenomenon when service providers started rolling out DSL service to its customers. Everyone benefited from increased network performance, but to truly take advantage of those speeds, you needed beefier PC's that could process and display pages faster. In fact I remember my moms PC still felt like it was using dialup compared to the PC I had built. In fact there have been several phones in my past that I could tether to my laptop and load pages faster than I could through my phones web browser. With my current phone, I am now at a point where things are about even.

It reminds me of how smart kids have become. I could get online and order the same two 1,000 piece puzzles for my teenage nephew and I. I could choose next day delivery for myself and 3 day delivery for him. I hate to say it, but he'd still get his assembled faster than I could. Just like network speeds, delivery was fast, but you had a slow poke called Cory that had to process through it.

Same thing with that stupid matching game where you have 50 pictures turned upside down. Each player turns 2 pieces over at a time. The goal is to remember as many of the pictures as you can, so when your turn comes up, you can start matching. The person with the most matches wins. My nephew wins everytime.

One could also conclude that I'm just a stupid idiot, which is also a labelling I'm willing to accept.

Reactions: I am Fake Jesus

I am Fake Jesus

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
1. Network speeds/latency
2. CPU performance
3. GPU performance
4. Memory
5. And in web pages: rendering speed

There are theoretical limits to what the phone can process regardless of network performance. The government could raise the speed limit on freeways to 300 miles per hour and most cars will max out at 120 or so. We'd also start burning through gas faster even though our tanks haven't gotten any bigger - which is a similar issue that we're having with battery technology. People also talk about the speeds being reported today as being inflated due to an under utilized network. Back to the freeway analogy, when you start adding traffic, it slows things down because there are more people sharing the same resource.

im a cable technician. similar things with our broadband internet. i can take a computer running bare min requirements do a speed test from our website. pulls 20+ mb down an 750kb up. (our uploads here sucks lol) but in a real world situation they go to a website like ebay an crawls thru that website. due to the computer crap hardware an all there lovely toolbars an so on, but yet they call an say its our internet service thats slow. just because a speed test shows you a speed doesnt mean its real world speeds, that test is designed to show what the speeds are capable of. another example is people playing wow for example, complain about lag....well if you get in a game with 20 people that server has to deal with all of you. same thing on xbox. weakest link ruins everyone lol. but the speeds we will see on these phones will be super for web browsing an streaming. 3g streaming has buffering an such, this should be amazing.

but these speeds are great. im sure it was some one from verizon said they planned on mobile internet replacing home internet eventually...this is a big step towards that.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781