Fascinate or Bolt?

Assuming the price it $250, what would YOU do in my situation?

• Total voters

TBolt2011

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
Ok, here's my burning question. After being on the fence on what to do, and FINALLY deciding to wait out the Thunderbolt, the price is potentially going to be raised to where I can't reach it.

My question is, should I buy my friend's Fascinate, knowing I like it a reasonable amount? I would save my upgrade (and the end of April I'd have a NE2) for something better down the road, but I'm NOT getting the Bionic so don't use that as an argument.

Of course this is assuming the price in jacked up to $300 with no hopes of getting it at $250. I'd be getting this Fascinate (in ridiculously good condition still) for $200 off contract (obviously), which was my original limit but I was willing to splurge a bit and go $50 higher for the TBolt if necessary.

4G is coming to my area by the end of 2011, so has no bearing in this.

So if you were in this situation, what would you do, and why?

Edit: I have until the second week of March to make my decision on the Fascinate.

Android 19

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
well OG-the man who has brought us great info and new tb pics-says that verizon will be selling the phone for 250 on a two year. I plan on coughing up over 300 for a one year if they have that option. So, forget the fascinate and ride the lightning!

TBolt2011

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
well OG-the man who has brought us great info and new tb pics-says that verizon will be selling the phone for 250 on a two year. I plan on coughing up over 300 for a one year if they have that option. So, forget the fascinate and ride the lightning!

What a great response >.>

The results are pretty overwhelming at this point too, lol.

iLLusive

Vzw Staff
May 11, 2010
Visit site
Just curious as to why you are paying $200 for the Facinate when it is only $149.00 new. Are you planning on paying that and getting another upgrade in April? I mean that will be for a total of more then the $250 the ThunderBolt is going to cost you?

corn4ahead

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Just curious as to why you are paying $200 for the Facinate when it is only $179.00 new. Are you planning on paying that and getting another upgrade in April? I mean that will be for a total of more then the $250 the ThunderBolt is going to cost you?

$179 new on a 2 year contract.

I think he is buying it off a friend who is selling off contract.

azdmelani

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
I have a fascinate now. I like it, but it is laggy. And I have a mac, so I havent been able to root for froyo, which is annoying.

If you saw a phone down the line that you were interested in I would say wait, but aside from the bionic the only ones I know of that are coming out (besides the inc2 and X2) are the lg revolution (no thanks LG) and the Sammy LTE phone. Its fugly and Sammy is horrible at updates, which is why I am getting rid of the fascinate in the first place.

Hope this helped aid in your deicision.

Last edited:

French

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
As a current Fascinate owner...the hardware is FABULOUS...I love the size/weight/shape of this phone. Software...Samsung SUCKS. They just can't get it right. We still do not have official froyo, and the leaked froyos out there ALL have caused some kind of negative step backwards. For example, DL30 battery life is SO bad, I'm actually considering going back to Eclair. EB01 has slightly better battery life, but managed to break car stereo bluetooth connection. One step forward, two steps back. And that's AFTER you wait 4 times as long as anyone else.

I'm DONE with Samsung.

leehblanc

Nov 18, 2010
Visit site
As a current Fascinate owner...the hardware is FABULOUS...I love the size/weight/shape of this phone. Software...Samsung SUCKS. They just can't get it right. We still do not have official froyo, and the leaked froyos out there ALL have caused some kind of negative step backwards. For example, DL30 battery life is SO bad, I'm actually considering going back to Eclair. EB01 has slightly better battery life, but managed to break car stereo bluetooth connection. One step forward, two steps back. And that's AFTER you wait 4 times as long as anyone else.

I'm DONE with Samsung.

Listen to French! There is currently NO timetable for Froyo on the Fascinate. French, if you write VZW and point out that they were selling accessories on DAY 1 that said "Works with 2.2 coming soon" (Car dock is an example) and we are now 5-6 months past that launch, you will be offered another phone. They will offer you a refurb at a nominal cost. Refuse. They will counter with either another phone or a refurb for free. Hit them where it hurts... in the pocket. That's the only way we can get back at them for jerking us around like they are on the Frustrate.

French

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Wow, really? You have a PM...

Updated: I'll be darned...Droid X on the way. It was that or early upgrade. Decided to hold off on the upgrade as it comes up in July and there's too much going on mid-end of year to use it right now.

Last edited:

dt

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
depending on how cheap u can get the fascinate for... if you can wait it out, i'd wait it out, i doubt the TB will be the perfect LTE phone, wait for some other choices release, i.e. the droid bionic, etc etc... and then make a decision

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
If you pick up the fascinate for 200, you could always flip it on ebay in two months for about the same, then use your upgrade on whatever.

rob22202

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
I was waiting but, in the end, I decided the TBolt is really not that exciting of a phone. I used my upgrade and got an incredible for $50, which I gave to my wife. I'll keep using my OG droid until my next upgrade in November. There should be some really nice phones out by then that will be well worth the $300.

azdmelani

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
I just checked ebay and can get anywhere from $200-$250 for my fascinate. SWEET! Now if only there was a release date...

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bnutz