IF the 'BOLT ends up with battery life similar to or slightly worse than an EVO...

shocka

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
will this deter you from a purchase?

not sure how i feel about a phone that won't last a day without a charge. that said, i do tend to keep my phone plugged in at work and in the car. would just be a travel issue for me.

prakash99

Aug 15, 2010
Visit site
NO! At the rate I normally use a phone, no smartphone currently available has enough juice to last me a day without recharging. That is why I always (almost always) carry a spare battery.
But hey, that's just me. I am not saying everyone should do it. I'm just saying that is what I do.

I am Fake Jesus

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
The thunderbolt does not have terrible battery life.. Using a standard battery life expectation when dealing with an LTE modems in a mobile phone is not fair.

You are speaking of a device that when I did a speed test this am i am getting 21Mbs down... thats faster then some cable modems. So the fact that it drinks deeply out of the juice pack should be expected.

Do not let the reports from "insiders" sway your thoughts.. the device is quite good we just need battery tech to take it to the next level...

The Panda...

i think blog sites are just screaming for info to report. rumors are rumors. ill go with panda.

spooluptheFTL

Banned
Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
i think blog sites are just screaming for info to report. rumors are rumors. ill go with panda.

Forgive me for asking, but has he ever been a reliable source for inside info? I only ask because I haven't been around here too long, and the only info I've ever seen coming out of him is unspecific innuendo.

When the Engadget story broke he tweeted "I find it ****ing hilarious that I have been saying that the bolt has battery life issues and no one believes till @Engadget says it?" when he never said anything of the sort.

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
its HTC what do you expect! HTC doesn't know what battery management is.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

tekhna

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Yes. Not only is it not a product competitive with the iPhone, but it's also a major hassle to have to worry about battery constantly. It's a mobile phone, not one that needs to be physically anchored every 6-8 hours. And yes, I'm sure you can spin out stories of how most days you're at your desk and then car etc.. that's not the point. The point is it's possible now to make a phone that lasts. Both the iPhone and the Atrix have shown that. And they're both cheaper than the Thunderbolt.

I am Fake Jesus

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
well my iphone 3g makes it all day till i sleep usually. i rarely use it tho. but if the phone can make it thru 8 hours ill be fine. ill have car charger, if an extended battery is needed ill get one

my friends g2 lasts thru work an a lil more. hes on it all day. i no this is 2 totally differ phones

I am Fake Jesus

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
5 days of work for me i dont use my phone much due to laptop an air card. but i also hate my current phone so this could change. new to android but i have been warned about battery life

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
My plan is the Seido 1600 extended battery... works with the stock battery door, combined with undervolting the CPU when the phone is idle.... that's if I notice bad battery drains... since I started using my Galaxy tab, I don't use my phone as often.

Reactions: SpaceHippie

robrecht

Pretty good member
Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Yes. Not only is it not a product competitive with the iPhone, but it's also a major hassle to have to worry about battery constantly. It's a mobile phone, not one that needs to be physically anchored every 6-8 hours. And yes, I'm sure you can spin out stories of how most days you're at your desk and then car etc.. that's not the point. The point is it's possible now to make a phone that lasts. Both the iPhone and the Atrix have shown that. And they're both cheaper than the Thunderbolt.
The iPhone is not cheaper than the Thunderbolt. It has a considerably smaller screen and is not 4G (which contribute to its battery life), so you're right that it is not competitive with the Bolt.

robrecht

Pretty good member
Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
NO! At the rate I normally use a phone, no smartphone currently available has enough juice to last me a day without recharging. That is why I always (almost always) carry a spare battery.
But hey, that's just me. I am not saying everyone should do it. I'm just saying that is what I do.
With my last few smartphones, I typically carry two spare batteries, and sometimes at least one of those spares is an exteneded life battery. I travel a lot so I buy a lot of batteries. I like my screen bright, too, for my tired old eyes!

RUSH

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I have no problem with battery consumption anymore. Three batteries, two chargers, and a charging dock. Voila.

Treknologist

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Not so much of an issue for me either. I currently have to recharge my TouchPro during the day at work, so it would not be any different with the TBolt if need be. I know these superphones just eat their batteries. :)

swamp

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
The TB should have a much better battery life than the Evo 4G. Why?

The Snapdragon in the TB uses a newer 45nm manufacturing process (called "2nd gen") as opposed to the earlier 65nm 1s gen process for the Evo 4G Snapdragon variant. They are both identical 1GHz clock speed chips.

Comparing equivalent Snapdragons in that entire line up of chips between the 45/65 process, Qualcomm stated that change provides a 30% lower dynamic power consumption and a much lower standby power as well. The battery capacity reduction from Evo 4G to Thunderbolt is only about 7%. This should guarantee an overall longer times between charges with the TB (of course under identical use). The screen is probably one of the biggest consumers of battery power but the TB and Evo have the same screen. The improvement to the processor should be the dominat factor comparing the two.

Adding an aftermarket higher capacity battery of course will also help.

Now that being said the Evo 4G battery life is pretty bad.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guylenn49