How will Verizon differentiate the Thunderbolt and the Bionic to customers?

Astrodroid

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
When you look at the current lineup of top-tier Android phones on Verizon today, each has some kind of distinctive feature that differentiates it from the pack. The X is the big one, the Pro is the Blackberry one, the 2 is the slider, the Pro and the 2 Global are the world phones, the Incredible is... not those things and has an optical track button (maybe it could be said to be the most like the iPhone?). The only real overlap might be between the Samsung Fascinate and I guess the Incredible, though again there are different screen sizes there. Oh, and the iPhone and Palms and Blackberries are differentiated enough by OS. And I'm not considering the other Android phones they offer that are previous generation or feature phones or otherwise outliers or surpassed. But the point is they're offering different kinds of phones for different kinds of users, with something different for everyone.

But when you look at the Bionic and the Thunderbolt, you've got two phones that are the same size, same form factor, both 4G, will presumably be priced equivalently, and most other things are equivalent. They're basically head to head competition between two rival handset makers. If you were Verizon, how would you pitch these things differently? You can certainly tout dual core and a better screen and video output resolution and I assume more battery juice for the Bionic. When selling the Thunderbolt next to that, what do you tell the average non-phone-nerd prospective customer? Why should they buy it instead of the Bionic? What crowd does it please in the same way that the Verizon Android phones out today each please a slightly different crowd? Do you just say it has a kickstand and better front-facing camera resolution? Is its baked-in Skype enough of an advantage over whatever the Bionic uses that it appeals to a large enough video-calling demographic to matter? If some average customer asks the rep which one to get, what criteria do they use to recommend one or the other?

You and I care about Blur vs. Sense and many of us consider Blur a no-no and Sense a bonus (relatively speaking amongst non-vanilla phones). And many of us care about locked bootloader vs not locked. And we definitely care about one of these being out much sooner than the other (fingers crossed). But those don't sound like the kinds of things Verizon would use as bullet points to differentiate the two phones to average users once they're both out and sitting side by side on the website or store display counter. I'm thinking most of them don't know what Sense or Blur is and have never heard of rooting or ROMs.

I imagine this issue has been around in prior product cycles with other phones (and even within a single maker, like all the Blackberries), but I've only just now started paying attention. How do you see this going down?

Jaredshoes

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
Think they will market the bionic as the powerhouse or a "monster" really showing off the dual core pro prolly going to make the cliffhanger commrrcials like they did with the OG droid and the thunderbolt they market 4G speeds

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

SUB-dawg

Nexus Lover
Dec 5, 2010
Visit site
the bionic will be for the power user who just wants raw power. the thunderbolt is the first one on the market (hopefully) so it will be the 4G phone most people on verizon will get.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
No one knows what phone will sell the best. Timing will play a role along with advertising . Aside from the hacking crowd, moto made a damn good impression with the og droid and X.....so loyalist will remain maybe, considering the options on the other side...battery life on 4g must be good...that will break the camels back for many...choices are good, inform yourself, don't let verizon differentiate them and decide for you. I like the thunderbolt marketing, but I like the battery life on the moto more considering the mah, and chipset. The first verizon 4g phone needs to be a 12 hour phone to to make a hit. Can't go wrong with either as long as it lasts.

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
the bionic will be for the power user who just wants raw power. the thunderbolt is the first one on the market (hopefully) so it will be the 4G phone most people on verizon will get.

+1. I think Verizon is going to market the Bionic as the phone to have for sheer power and potential (based on the dual core processor). The Tbolt on the other hand is going to be I think marketed more towards the average consumer along with being Verizon's first LTE device.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
They'll do what they do every few months when the next new device hits...stop all advertising and talk of the TB, stop promoting it to customers off the street, pretend like it doesn't exit and run a whole new campaign on how advanced and superior the duel processor of the Bionic is...and they'll be right. TB owners are going to have the shortest lived "top of the heap" to ever exist. Next year, quad processors will hit the stores and then the Bionic owners will be left in the dust. It's how it should be...technology progresses. The only alternative is to stop advancing. Then everyone would complain about how stale the market place is.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
I disagree.....I don't think the TB will the phone most people get. I may be wrong, but I certainly would never say that without some evidence to back that claim up. Any way, it will be hot. I think iphone 5 will be way hotter.

MrMC7992

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
i'm pretty sure the bionic will be getting a bit more advertising than the TB, just from it being a "Droid" brand phone. they love their droids

TBolt2011

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
When you look at the current lineup of top-tier Android phones on Verizon today, each has some kind of distinctive feature that differentiates it from the pack. The X is the big one, the Pro is the Blackberry one, the 2 is the slider, the Pro and the 2 Global are the world phones, the Incredible is... not those things and has an optical track button (maybe it could be said to be the most like the iPhone?). The only real overlap might be between the Samsung Fascinate and I guess the Incredible, though again there are different screen sizes there. Oh, and the iPhone and Palms and Blackberries are differentiated enough by OS. And I'm not considering the other Android phones they offer that are previous generation or feature phones or otherwise outliers or surpassed. But the point is they're offering different kinds of phones for different kinds of users, with something different for everyone.

But when you look at the Bionic and the Thunderbolt, you've got two phones that are the same size, same form factor, both 4G, will presumably be priced equivalently, and most other things are equivalent. They're basically head to head competition between two rival handset makers. If you were Verizon, how would you pitch these things differently? You can certainly tout dual core and a better screen and video output resolution and I assume more battery juice for the Bionic. When selling the Thunderbolt next to that, what do you tell the average non-phone-nerd prospective customer? Why should they buy it instead of the Bionic? What crowd does it please in the same way that the Verizon Android phones out today each please a slightly different crowd? Do you just say it has a kickstand and better front-facing camera resolution? Is its baked-in Skype enough of an advantage over whatever the Bionic uses that it appeals to a large enough video-calling demographic to matter? If some average customer asks the rep which one to get, what criteria do they use to recommend one or the other?

You and I care about Blur vs. Sense and many of us consider Blur a no-no and Sense a bonus (relatively speaking amongst non-vanilla phones). And many of us care about locked bootloader vs not locked. And we definitely care about one of these being out much sooner than the other (fingers crossed). But those don't sound like the kinds of things Verizon would use as bullet points to differentiate the two phones to average users once they're both out and sitting side by side on the website or store display counter. I'm thinking most of them don't know what Sense or Blur is and have never heard of rooting or ROMs.

I imagine this issue has been around in prior product cycles with other phones (and even within a single maker, like all the Blackberries), but I've only just now started paying attention. How do you see this going down?

Personally, I know this tends to be a no-no in sales after being in them for 3 years, but I would explain both fully like you have pretty much done, and let them know they're both very near the top of the mountain, and it comes down to personal preference.

It's hard to sell an opinion, even for the best salesperson. And a lot of people go with what you DON'T recommend based on the fact that you didn't recommend it and they don't want to look "weak" (which is dumb, but anyone in sales that pitch many different brands/styles of things knows what I'm talking about).

am4966

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
i'm pretty sure the bionic will be getting a bit more advertising than the TB, just from it being a "Droid" brand phone. they love their droids

Thats what I was thinking, they are gonna hype it like they do most Droid brand phones and it also being the first Droid 4G phone. Thats how they will advertise it on tv, probably talk about its dual core too.

When you get into the store its up to the Sales Reps to know the ins and outs of the phones to help the consumer decide whats better for them.

SUB-dawg

Nexus Lover
Dec 5, 2010
Visit site
I disagree.....I don't think the TB will the phone most people get. I may be wrong, but I certainly would never say that without some evidence to back that claim up. Any way, it will be hot. I think iphone 5 will be way hotter.

well the iphone 5 is for the ios fans and such. the thunderbolt will probably be the go-to android phone.

Hawk142

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
No one knows what phone will sell the best. Timing will play a role along with advertising . Aside from the hacking crowd, moto made a damn good impression with the og droid and X.....so loyalist will remain maybe, considering the options on the other side...battery life on 4g must be good...that will break the camels back for many...choices are good, inform yourself, don't let verizon differentiate them and decide for you. I like the thunderbolt marketing, but I like the battery life on the moto more considering the mah, and chipset. The first verizon 4g phone needs to be a 12 hour phone to to make a hit. Can't go wrong with either as long as it lasts.

ive got an X but would like to try an htc phone, so im jumping ship.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
I was in sales too. I was fortunate to sell products that sold themselves, and lying to the customers was always a no no. If the product is good, it will gain the consumers one by one....a friendly honest sales rep doesn't hurt;)

Edwill86

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
I do believe the Thunderbolt is the only VZW phone that can do simultaneous Voice and data over 3g/4g and its been said it might be the only device to be able to do so for a while.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
That's it? Old I phones been doing that for ever on at&t ha ha. Oh well, all 4g phones will on vzw, but from what I read, no one uses that one, as most people have the net and can google it themselves...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1