TBolt vs. Bionic (if they unlock the bootloader)

DolfanCole

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
So what CAN'T you do because of the locked boot loader?

I think the only thing you can't do is over clock because you can't replace the kernel.

Right?

Good question. I first thought I had seen that the only thing that you couldn't do is load custom ROMS. But, then I've heard people have done that on their DX. I must be missing something or misread/misinterpreted something.

bnsteele5

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
I've heard people say this, but I have yet to find where they got this from. All the benchmarks that I've seen show that the TBolt is in the 1800-1900 range Quadrant score and the Bionic is around 2100-2200. I've never seen where the TBolt beat the Bionic in a benchmark.

It was talked about on this site and watch the wirefly video on youtube TB vs. Evo they run benchmarks and it scored in the 2000's

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

DolfanCole

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
It was talked about on this site and watch the wirefly video on youtube TB vs. Evo they run benchmarks and it scored in the 2000's

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

I've heard it discussed on this site, but I've never seen a source. The Wirefly video has the TBolt scoring a 1987. Still not the 2284 or so that the Bionic did at CES.

spas2k

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
I think the sense launcher screens just run smoother than motoblur. Maybe the bionic will be optimized but it will be moot when icecream comes out and they utilize the second core, it will fly, but i'd rather see more of a push towards GPU accelerated UIs like honeycomb.

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
I'm getting the Bolt for now...first day its released. When the Bionic is released and I think it is better after reading the reviews, I will keep my TB as a backup.... good bye old Blackberry phones.... and switch to the Bionic.

I am Fake Jesus

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
No offense, but I just don't see this. For the most part they have the same form factor (their dimensions are almost identical). I just can't see that much difference between the two. Are you talking about the interface or the physical appearance?

both, sure same form factor, first sense kills blur, an yeah you can use lp or adw. but blur inferface is all over an is just a laggy interface. i might replace sense launcher but i could easily keep it, an all the extra featurs that come with htc sense 2 is just amazing.

2nd the actual phone itself is ugly. its a rubber mat. htc phones may all look similar but there are little things to make them differ. but they are mostly all very sleek an stylish. droid x is about the only moto phone i like the physical appearence of.

motorola-droid-bionic-1294332936-316.jpg

htc_thunderbolt-577x4081.jpg

DolfanCole

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
both, sure same form factor, first sense kills blur, an yeah you can use lp or adw. but blur inferface is all over an is just a laggy interface. i might replace sense launcher but i could easily keep it, an all the extra featurs that come with htc sense 2 is just amazing.

2nd the actual phone itself is ugly. its a rubber mat. htc phones may all look similar but there are little things to make them differ. but they are mostly all very sleek an stylish. droid x is about the only moto phone i like the physical appearence of.

Ok. So, you were also considering the interface. I guess to each his own, 'cause the X is one phone I really don't like the appearance of. ;)

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
Launcher Pro will give some of the widgets that are similar to the ones used in Sense and that's it. Sense is much more then the launcher and the widgets. It gives you and overlay on many apps (calendar, gallery, and contacts to name a few) if your using the Sense launcher or not.

I'm not trying to say moto blur is bad I just prefer Sense, the Bionic will be a very good phone just like the Thunderbolt so its a win win situation.

shaddix

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
Most of the new sense features will end up on custom roms anyway. It's not that big of a difference, if the bionic bootloader is unlocked then it will be one hello of a device.

tekhna

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Motoblur is more than a launcher though, right? It affects gmail, etc. And without dumping the original kernel you're just putting lipstick on a pig with launchers and roms, correct?

I am Fake Jesus

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
Ok. So, you were also considering the interface. I guess to each his own, 'cause the X is one phone I really don't like the appearance of. ;)

to each his own def, while i respect anyone that gets the bionic, def looks great on paper, but the overall appearence turns me off, an the new motoblur looks like touchwiz to me. ninja blur on the droid2 an dx was the best it ever looked. but locked bootloaders is not for me. tho this will be my first android id like to see wat i can do with my phone with out something stopping me

just hopes the bionics launch isnt as chaotic as this drama

Reactions: DolfanCole

Bushido Brown

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
So what CAN'T you do because of the locked boot loader?

I think the only thing you can't do is over clock because you can't replace the kernel.

Right?
You can't alter the kernel, but you can still overclock your device. The misconception mostly comes from HTC zealots who use the locked bootloader issue as a platform to launch their bias. The rest of the misconception comes from people who trust said zealots to know more than they do, and end up repeating the same fallacies they hear from them.

Anywho...kernel is a no go. Everything is else is fair game. There may be some tougher roadblocks Moto has introduced to keep people out, we'll have to wait and see.

P.S. see signature.

the one and only M

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
I think that if moto did decide to make the bionic more open, their approach to doing it would somehow be limited. I believe they did it for the xoom because it is the premeir device that is showcasing a new android release. Maybe under some pressure from google?

I am hesitant to buy a thunderbolt now with all this talk of them possibly unlocking it. I hope an detailed announcement is made before the thunderbolt is released, or else I'm jumping ship to htc.