Online or brick and mortar

5G

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
What are pro and cons of ordering your phone online vs. going to verizon store in person.
Can i order online and still go to regular store with my phone if something goes wrong with it?
What will you do when thunder strikes soon?

anon(157335)

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
What are pro and cons of ordering your phone online vs. going to verizon store in person.
Can i order online and still go to regular store with my phone if something goes wrong with it?
What will you do when thunder strikes soon?

You can go to a VZW store for assistance with any VZW phone, however if you need to return or exchange a phone you purchased on VZW.com you will need to ship the phone to them; you can't return it to a VZW B&M location. (They do provide a pre-paid label in the shipping carton, so it won't cost you anything.)

The upside of ordering online: No VZW employees getting their grubby fingerprints all over your new toy.

Reactions: 5G

prakash99

Aug 15, 2010
Visit site
You can go to a VZW store for assistance with any VZW phone, however if you need to return or exchange a phone you purchased on VZW.com you will need to ship the phone to them; you can't return it to a VZW B&M location. (They do provide a pre-paid label in the shipping carton, so it won't cost you anything.)

The upside of ordering online: No VZW employees getting their grubby fingerprints all over your new toy.

Some Verizon stores do take back phones that were purchased online (from verizonwireless.com not any other reseller sites). Last September, one of my local stores too my LG Ally back a couple of weeks after I bought it from Verizonwireless.com in order to exchange it for the newly released Samsung Fascinate. They do charge a restocking fee, though.

I was told it was up to discretion of the store manager, though.

ASLgeek

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
B&M You can get it that day as long as they have supplies. You have to at least wait overnight for online.

We've all waited this long...what's overnight lol.

Another pro to online is that sometimes you can get sweet deals on no activation fee and online usually has more accessories than the stores.

Pro for the store is they can charge the phone to your bill.

If you don't like them putting their hands on your phone just tell em don't take it out the box. That you can set it up yourself.

anon(149276)

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
We've all waited this long...what's overnight lol.

Another pro to online is that sometimes you can get sweet deals on no activation fee and online usually has more accessories than the stores.

Pro for the store is they can charge the phone to your bill.

If you don't like them putting their hands on your phone just tell em don't take it out the box. That you can set it up yourself.
I've never paid an activation fee in store for the 5 phones and 8-9yrs of having VZW phones. On a slightly different note tmobile charges $18 to upgrade your phone?!?! My dad is on tmobile and needs to upgrade and refuses to pay it when at VZW we pay nothing to upgrade and often nothing for phones.

ASLgeek

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
I've never paid an activation fee in store for the 5 phones and 8-9yrs of having VZW phones. On a slightly different note tmobile charges $18 to upgrade your phone?!?! My dad is on tmobile and needs to upgrade and refuses to pay it when at VZW we pay nothing to upgrade and often nothing for phones.

I got a Galaxy Tab about a month ago and they charged me an activation fee...never told me they would be charging me one but they did none-the-less. Needless to say I was pissed when I got the bill and saw something I wasn't expecting.

TBolt2011

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
I got a Galaxy Tab about a month ago and they charged me an activation fee...never told me they would be charging me one but they did none-the-less. Needless to say I was pissed when I got the bill and saw something I wasn't expecting.

Activation fees are only for if you open up a completely new line/contract. Such as adding a device like you did.

Just an upgrade won't get you charged though.

anon(149276)

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
That's crazy. I cant believe they can do that without issues. I mean, obviously they do, but do Sprint ant AT&T do the same? He was looking to get a free G2 I think and then they wanted 50 bucks for a mail in rebate and then $18 for the upgrade fee. He has a terribly old samsung flip phone with no texting or data and he was looking to upgrade and spend more a month. But after looking at $78 to upgrade to a "free phone" he said screw it and is holding out. I've loved VZW's brick and mortar corporate stores. Little defensive when it comes to stores like BB, but always more than accommodating and willing to help you. Usually into a contract though. Not to get political, but it supports people in your community too.

anon(149276)

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Really? They made me pay activation fee for each phone that I had. Not up front. It just showed up on my first month's bill.
Nope, unless they slipped something passed me. And I'd like to think I'm pretty good about combing through the statements. Seems like they're more interested in locking me into another 2yrs out with data/insurance/texting than they are with the activation fee. Well, it's worked. I'm happy and they have more money cause of it. My parents always joke we're locked into a contract till 2020 due to all the contracts we've signed to get upgrades. Maybe I'll get the thunderbolt then when our contracts up :p

KingChicago

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
I prefer Brick and Mortar...I like to be able to go into the stores and give people buying older phones dirty looks...but that's just me. With the Tbolt I'm hoping there will be someone there buying an iPhone, so I can do a jig and tell them how silly they are. (I joke about the iPhone, and have for a long time, but I think its a great piece of equipment, and really wouldn't rasp anyone for getting it!)

Chrisy

Banned
Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
VZW does charge an $18 upgrade fee when you do an annual upgrade (upgrade after a year within a two year contract).

I've had them waive the fee once, and paid it twice.

prakash99

Aug 15, 2010
Visit site
Annual upgrades are over as of January 16

That's strange. A rep I was talking to recently on the phone reminded me that I was eligible for annual upgrade. I was not even calling about upgrades. She just decided to mention that on her own. It's a different story that I won't be going for annual upgrade.

Chrisy

Banned
Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
They are discontinued, along with NE2, going forward. Those with NE2 credit or who are eligible for the annual upgrade will be able to use their last one.

mlpjunior

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
If you signed your current contract prior to January 16th, 2011, you can still use the annual upgrade when it becomes available, provided that you meet all other criteria.

The end of annual upgrades only applies to contracts signed on or after 1/16/2011.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParkerAdams