Front-facing camera: mostly a gimmick?

Nitros7

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
The only ones who say it's a gimmick are those who don't have one...

Don't think the OP was arguing that it doesn't have its place more that with the battery constrains on this phone there may be a chance that it may not be as practical as his laptop... just to be fair you can argue a point of view, you can only argue fact. truth of the matter is it may work for you and may not for him.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
I think it's an outstanding option to have. I don't have it on my current phone, and have no idea if I would even use it, but I can see where many would. If the OP doesn't want to use it, then I'm ready to commit right now to never calling him/her on it...besides, it looks like it's going to be a lot more fun to call Chrisy.

FatalErrorz

Banned
Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Don't think the OP was arguing that it doesn't have its place more that with the battery constrains on this phone there may be a chance that it may not be as practical as his laptop... just to be fair you can argue a point of view, you can only argue fact. truth of the matter is it may work for you and may not for him.

I'm not arguing...I was just pointing out that it is ALREADY a "viable" option to use on a cellphone when the other forum member said it doesn't seem "viable" yet. I didn't think it was a very viable option until I had one either, but then I saw it was a very viable option for videochat.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site

So if the OP has an in dash GPS and never uses Google Maps, when he calls the phone's GPS a gimmick, we should all just agree?

danthman

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
A front-facing camera is also useful for still photos (as opposed to video). In other words PSexting instead of VSexting :p

Koato

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
im going to videochat people my genitals all day.

just kidding :)

It is a good thing to have if someone wants to show you something, theres plenty of reasons to videocall so I'm looking forward to it.

tekhna

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
So if the OP has an in dash GPS and never uses Google Maps, when he calls the phone's GPS a gimmick, we should all just agree?

Misleading argument is misleading. To reconstruct my argument in a way that actually works would depend on there being an inherent technological limitation to using your phone's GPS in a way that isn't necessarily the case for my dash GPS. So to make the analogy more apt you'd have to have a technological limitation like the inability to plug your phone's GPS into the car for power.

Chrisy

Banned
Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
If the picture quality is awful then I'll probably not use it so much. My folks have an iPhone and I'm looking forward to trying my first video chat when I'm up in PA visiting in the freezing cold!

I'll be able to see them at the beach. I dunno. I just think it's a nice way to stay close.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
If the picture quality is awful then I'll probably not use it so much. My folks have an iPhone and I'm looking forward to trying my first video chat when I'm up in PA visiting in the freezing cold!

I'll be able to see them at the beach. I dunno. I just think it's a nice way to stay close.

You're right...it is a nice way to stay in touch. And, as you said earlier, everyone doesn't have a laptop, and if they do, it's not always around.

FatalErrorz

Banned
Jan 12, 2011
Visit site

Mine works well, but I have 4G coverage around here. It works well on 3G too, but I have good 3G coverage also.

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Misleading argument is misleading. To reconstruct my argument in a way that actually works would depend on there being an inherent technological limitation to using your phone's GPS in a way that isn't necessarily the case for my dash GPS.
Okay... When did you last use your in-dash GPS for walking navigation?

-Frank

TMZ_Andrew

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
I always say with new technology that it's better to have something now that you wont use immediately then to be down the road without it and need it.

For me, with an abundance of 4G in my area, its huge because i skype a lot for work and whatnot.

As for battery consumption, if i end up losing so much battery life because of skyping, ill start carrying around my laptop more lol. Not that big of deal for me anyways.

I would just like it to be released quite frankly :)

tekhna

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Okay... When did you last use your in-dash GPS for walking navigation?

-Frank

All the time. But it takes no more than 30 seconds to googlemap where I'm going. And the battery drain of the GPS receiver being on is nowhere near comparable to what we're talking about.

flashpiti

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I can tell you that as a father who works long hours and has two young kids, I use the ffc on my iPhone 4 almost daily with both FaceTime and skype video over 3G. I was really looking forward to skype video on 4g on the tb. Whether or not you need it depends on your situation. I'll nber buy another phone without one.

Effenhimer

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
I made sure my wife has one (Epic 4g), so that when I get my TB, we can absolutely S-chat!!!! Why else would we need one ATM??...

Otherwise, my buddy runs a gaming web site and when he goes to PAX and that sort of thing he can broadcast from his phone. I know the backside cam works for that, but for his viewers to see his face he has to flip it around, and then he can't see how the shot looks, (if his face is getting cut off, etc.) He came to me as never having a smart phone before, and I had to take him out shopping for one with this feature specifically. (That and 4g) He ended up going with Tmo-Mytouch 4g.

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Just because you might not use it doesn't mean its a gimmick. When my boyfriend had his iPhone 4 but didn't have time to skype on his laptop, we would video chat all the time. Once Skype with video came out, we used it all the time since it worked over 3G.

ASLgeek

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
im going to videochat people my genitals all day.

just kidding :)

It is a good thing to have if someone wants to show you something, theres plenty of reasons to videocall so I'm looking forward to it.

Sounds like you've been on Chat Roulette lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Junkie XL