HTC Thunderbolt Mini USB location(Is it going to be a problem?)

HawaiiD

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
I really see the Mini USB location as a main concern for the TB.
Why?

It appears the charger port on the TB is located on the bottom left side of the phone, Which will now be the at the bottom of the phone when in the horizontal(landscape)position.

Unless the battery life in the TB is much better than the EVO?

Watching youtube videos,extended video chatting,watching sports or tv broadcast,streaming full length movies to you TB
might be limited to the vertical position if a charger is needed?

With that said.. I hope HTC will relocate(to the bottom on the phone) the Mini USB port for the final retail version.

Thoughts?

Spartan616

Dec 7, 2009
Visit site
Couldn't the issue be alleviated if you put something else underneath the upper part of the phone? Or couldn't you just get a landscape phone cradle that doesn't cover up the min-usb port?

HawaiiD

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Couldn't the issue be alleviated if you put something else underneath the upper part of the phone? Or couldn't you just get a landscape phone cradle that doesn't cover up the min-usb port?

Unless there will be an aftermarket 90 degree Mini USB plug?

Even with this I wouldn't know how it will affect the stability of the kick stand?
and the fact the phone will be uneven?

That said cradle or whatever you want to put underneath?

Will have to be at least an inch or more tall?

And then this will render the kick stand useless unless you
are able to put an extension on it every time you deploy it?

Now that will be ugly!

HTC-Thunderbolt.jpg

Here is how the Evo looks while charging in landscape mode with a mini HDMI(Top cord)too.

HTC-EVO-4G.jpg

Last edited:

5G

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Yea that screwed this one up big time. Isn't the charging port on the bottom of pretty much EVERY phone except this one? Probably not but still it took some real talent to put it where it is now.
And this is one of only TWO phones i'm aware of with a kickstand... I want to go check if Evo has a plug in left side too.

green77

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
I think it will be fine where it is as long as you have a dock for it. I have one for my Droid and my GF Droid X. They both have the port in the same place as the TB. Then the dock plugs in to keep it charged.

Without a HDMI out the only reason to need that port is to charge it.

Last edited:

5G

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I think they do those things on purpose so we keep buying new phones.
Imagine "perfect" phone. Would you ever buy anything else? Of course not.

66dude

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
I saw somewhere that there's some sort of stand being sold for situations like that. The stand basically props up the phone off the table to give the phone the necessary clearance for the USB cord. Should be a cheap product, but it won't look pretty.

HawaiiD

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Yea that screwed this one up big time. Isn't the charging port on the bottom of pretty much EVERY phone except this one? Probably not but still it took some real talent to put it where it is now.
And this is one of only TWO phones i'm aware of with a kickstand... I want to go check if Evo has a plug in left side too.

The EVo's mini usb is on the bottom of the phone

HawaiiD

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
I think it will be fine where it is as long as you have a dock for it. I have one for my Droid and my GF Droid X. They both have the port in the same place as the TB. Then the dock plugs in to keep it charged.

Without a HDMI out the only reason to need that port is to charge it.

Nice now that would work!

HawaiiD

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
I saw somewhere that there's some sort of stand being sold for situations like that. The stand basically props up the phone off the table to give the phone the necessary clearance for the USB cord. Should be a cheap product, but it won't look pretty.

I guess am just used to my evo. Prop it horizontal, pull out the kick stand
lay it back, plug in the charger, sprint tv, Hawaii five o, at my desk at work;)

green77

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
I guess am just used to my evo. Prop it horizontal, pull out the kick stand
lay it back, plug in the charger, sprint tv, Hawaii five o, at my desk at work;)

If I'm correct you can put the EVO verticaly on the kickstand. So for video calls you can't stand it up and keep it charging.

My point is pros and cons for both.

Comineeyeaha

Apr 11, 2010
Visit site
Does the phone have to be vertical for a video call, or can it also be in landscape mode? I honestly think that if they were going to include a kick stand that the charging port should have been on the top or the right. I don't have many gripes about this phone, but that's one of them.