How is the upgrade going to work for me?

SoldierofCatan

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
Be gentle, I've been reading the threads for several days now and I haven't found suitable answers to my specific questions.

I have a first gen BB Storm. My wife and I share a fam plan. My storm will be 2 years old on the 12th of this month. My wife upgraded her phone to a Droid 2 back in September so I'm still going to be under contract well past the launch of the TB. Naturally I'm waiting for the Thunderbolt and I have a couple of questions.

1) Will I still be able to use my new every 2 discount after the 2 years is up. Also, will I be able to keep my $30 unlimited data plan

2) I hate to give my money to BB after all of this mess, but I keep hearing people comment that they get a $50 credit towards the phone if they preorder. Is it too late to preorder and get the phone for $250?

Thanks for your responses

htowngator

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
1) NE2's are gone after you use the one you're currently available to use (i.e. if you had one prior to their cut-off announcement). The rumor is that you'll be able to keep unlimited data, but just a rumor. No one really knows until Verizon says otherwise.

2) You're still paying $300 no matter what in that case except you're putting down a $50 deposit, not a credit.

SoldierofCatan

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
I haven't used my NE2 yet. Will I be able to use it after my 2 years is up? The family plan is still in effect since my wife upgraded her line a couple of months ago. I just want to make sure I get the discount after my 2 years is up.

htowngator

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
I haven't used my NE2 yet. Will I be able to use it after my 2 years is up? The family plan is still in effect since my wife upgraded her line a couple of months ago. I just want to make sure I get the discount after my 2 years is up.

I believe anyone that was eligible for it prior to February still has it, but everyone else can't get it anymore.

mcmushx15

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
You should be able to use NE2 (if you buy from Verizon). BB doesn't honor that. Once you use your NE2 credit on the TB, you will never see it again.
From what we understand, $30 plan will stay in effect for the contract unless Verizon pushes new tier pricing out earlier then this summer in which they recently announced tiers.

Regarding pre-order, 50 dollors now and 50 dollars less later. It will cost the same unless they get some of special price but BB typically when a phone is released will charge the same.

miss chris

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
1) NE2's are gone after you use the one you're currently available to use (i.e. if you had one prior to their cut-off announcement). The rumor is that you'll be able to keep unlimited data, but just a rumor. No one really knows until Verizon says otherwise.

2) You're still paying $300 no matter what in that case except you're putting down a $50 deposit, not a credit.

I suspect you are right about #2, but many have reported that on the BB Mobile FB page they have stated several times that those who preordered will get the phone for 199.99 at release effectively paying a total of $250.

bliedel

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I'm willing to bet that the line your Storm is on is no longer under contract, even though you renewed your Family Plan. So you might be able to swing it a couple of different ways...one way that you may be able to swing it is to cancel your line, port the number to Google Voice (you know you wanna ;) ), and then sign up a new line of service and get the standard discount which comes with that new line of service.

I'd talk to a local Cell Phone store to make certain that plan will work for you before doing it, then they can probably do it for you.

When I got my Droid, my contract was up, but my wife's wasn't. The Droid was buy 1 get 1 free, but I couldn't use the free one for my wife's line. So what I ended up doing was to buy a new line of service for the free one, and then switch numbers, putting her number on the Droid and another number on her old phone. Because her line was still on contract, I couldn't cancel the additional line, but the extra $9.99/mo was completely worth it for me, since I was paying $19.98/mo for VZNavigator on both of our phones. I ended up with 2 Droids and a net gain of $9.99/mo (minus taxes). :)

There are lots of scenarios available, unfortunately BB will probably not be the best place to explore them.

azdmelani

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Be gentle, I've been reading the threads for several days now and I haven't found suitable answers to my specific questions.

I have a first gen BB Storm. My wife and I share a fam plan. My storm will be 2 years old on the 12th of this month. My wife upgraded her phone to a Droid 2 back in September so I'm still going to be under contract well past the launch of the TB. Naturally I'm waiting for the Thunderbolt and I have a couple of questions.

1) Will I still be able to use my new every 2 discount after the 2 years is up. Also, will I be able to keep my $30 unlimited data plan

2) I hate to give my money to BB after all of this mess, but I keep hearing people comment that they get a $50 credit towards the phone if they preorder. Is it too late to preorder and get the phone for $250?

Thanks for your responses

Each family plan line has a separate contract end date. By your wife renewing her contract, yours shouldnt have been automatically renewed. you can check this out pretty easily under myverizon (it will show you the time remaininf on your contract).

I personally think verizon will sell the phone for $249. At BB you wouldnt get a "credit" but you will get $50 off the price because you already put $50 towards the phone.

prakash99

Aug 15, 2010
Visit site
Regarding pre-order, 50 dollors now and 50 dollars less later. It will cost the same unless they get some of special price but BB typically when a phone is released will charge the same.

According to BBMobile official facebook page, those who preorder will get the phone for 249.99 not the same as 299.99 (if that is the price). They are saying those who preorder will pay $50 in gift card they received and another $199.99 + Tax. They also have the option of using the gift card on something else and just paying $249.99 + Tax when you pick up the phone.

catalase

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site

Your #2 is wrong.

azdmelani

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
According to BBMobile official facebook page, those who preorder will get the phone for 249.99 not the same as 299.99 (if that is the price). They are saying those who preorder will pay $50 in gift card they received and another $199.99 + Tax. They also have the option of using the gift card on something else and just paying $249.99 + Tax when you pick up the phone.

call me a skeptic, but after this whole release debacle I wont believe it until I see the price online or in an ad

prakash99

Aug 15, 2010
Visit site
call me a skeptic, but after this whole release debacle I wont believe it until I see the price online or in an ad

Well if they don't honor what they are saying on their so-called "official" facebook page, I am going to raise hell!!!

And in the mean time, I am also thinking it is all a ploy on BBY's part to get more preorders in, as the actual price is going to be $249 after all.

Mapex

Oct 5, 2009
Visit site
If your contract began before January 6, 2011 (or something like that) and you have not already cashed in your NE2 discount, you are still eligible for one more. This applies to each line individually. I believe this discount does not expire, but if it does I don't believe you will be able to use it after December 31, 2012.

However, after you use the NE2 discount, any new phone you get every time your contract expires will no longer be discounted via mail-in rebate/coupon. That is, you will still be able to purchase them at their subsidized price (i.e. $700 device sold for only $250 on a two-year contract), but you won't get to slap on a $50 to $100 discount on top of that anymore (which was making many phones anywhere from 75% to 100% off).

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParkerAdams