"There is a lot of excitement about the first Verizon LTE device, the HTC ThunderBolt. HTC and Verizon will officially and publicly announce the Thunderbolt launch dates soon. Please stay tuned for the debut of this great new device." Hopefully by soon they do not mean in the coming months.
    03-12-2011 12:56 AM
    Please release a date sometime early this week! I would love to get official date over weekend those I doubt but morning would be great. Having Thunderbolt release date would help with the monday blues.
    03-12-2011 01:03 AM
    03-12-2011 01:09 AM
    just saw this aswell. great to hear. im set that its either releasing on the 17th, or the 21st at the latest.

Hope soo!
    03-12-2011 01:10 AM
    I hope they announce monday! This is going to be my reason to switch back to verizon.
    03-12-2011 01:12 AM
    May be reading a little into this but thats what the TB forums do to you. Why did they say 'Thanks for your excitement! HTC and Verizon will officially announce the Thunderbolt launch dates soon.'?? I would hope its just a typo...
    03-12-2011 01:34 AM
    Good point. Maybe they're going to give us a time frame and tell us it could be available between 2 different dates.
    03-12-2011 01:42 AM
    May be reading a little into this but thats what the TB forums do to you. Why did they say 'Thanks for your excitement! HTC and Verizon will officially announce the Thunderbolt launch dates soon.'?? I would hope its just a typo...
    Verizon and Bestbuy might have two different launch dates? Or online pre-order date also the in store release date?
    03-12-2011 01:48 AM
    Verizon and Bestbuy might have two different launch dates? Or online pre-order date also the in store release date?
    A VZW preorder would be nice, but if BB had a different launch date, it would be a bit ridiculous. Cause I really am not happy with bestbuy's handling of the whole thing. Mobile reps, managers, corporate employees all told me the 14th and 24th. While I understand their position of 'thats what they were told'. It doesn't change the fact they messed up. I will only be buying from VZW and hope VZW makes this simple.
    03-12-2011 02:09 AM
    This is definitely good news. This phone has to be right on the precipice of release.
    03-12-2011 06:46 AM
    HTC's last big release with Verizon, the Incredible, involved two dates - a pre-order date and street date.
    03-12-2011 07:33 AM
    This was the release dates for the Incredible. The phone was officially announced a week before on Monday the 19th.

Incredible 2010
    Verizon has announced that the Incredible is available for two year contract pre-orders for $200. Orders must be placed by 4 pm local time on April 28 and phones will arrive starting April 29.

If this is any indication as to what they plan on doing... the announcent would be this Monday, the 14th and a release date the following week on Thursday, the 24th.
    03-12-2011 08:27 AM
    I am thinking it will be two different dates for BBY and VZW. BBY may get it earlier like they did with BB Storm... Devour too I think.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk
    03-12-2011 08:32 AM
    If I hear the word "soon" one more time...
    03-12-2011 08:59 AM
    Make sure you don't watch any commercials then

03-12-2011 09:18 AM
    Oh, I make sure to say "$&#@ you" to any commercial I see with the Thunderbolt in it already.
    03-12-2011 09:21 AM
    I'm just dying to see the darn thing. I wonder if the HTC Evos ever got this much attention.
    03-12-2011 09:36 AM
    You've GOT to be kidding!!!!!! The freaking phone hasn't even been approved yet?????? Those of you who have said VZW doesn't know how to release a phone or has screwed up this release ..... well, let's just say in my mind this is absolute confirmation you are absolutely right.
    03-12-2011 09:46 AM
    Makes me want to vomit. This phone release has given a whole new meaning to the words "coming soon."
    03-12-2011 09:47 AM
    You've GOT to be kidding!!!!!! The freaking phone hasn't even been approved yet?????? Those of you who have said VZW doesn't know how to release a phone or has screwed up this release ..... well, let's just say in my mind this is absolute confirmation you are absolutely right.
    Would seem weird if they didn't already have maintenance terms in their contract with HTC.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk
    03-12-2011 09:52 AM
    Would seem weird if they didn't already have maintenance terms in their contract with HTC.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk
    Just guessing that this is exactly the issue. HTC hasn't fulfilled all the prearranged requrements (i.e. Skype, Netflix, etc). Therefore, VZW might be holding HTC's feet to the fire on these issues for a later maintenance release. Or, it could be LTE compatibility issues. Either way, same deal.

-Frank
    03-12-2011 10:42 AM
    Oh, I make sure to say "$&#@ you" to any commercial I see with the Thunderbolt in it already.
    So I'm not alone! That makes me feel a little better...

thedeceiver likes this.
    03-12-2011 10:56 AM
    Just guessing that this is exactly the issue. HTC hasn't fulfilled all the prearranged requrements (i.e. Skype, Netflix, etc). Therefore, VZW might be holding HTC's feet to the fire on these issues for a later maintenance release.

-Frank
    My guess would be that HTC is not responsible for Skype's deployment. It could be an HTC issue but I would think that it's probably more of a Skype problem than anything else.

Generally, in contracts like this, there are maintenance agreements that cover upgrades and bug fixes. I'm sure they have been negotiated well in advance. The contract has been signed, money exchanged, if skype was in that contract, then the entity providing Skype (Skype, HTC, VZW, whomever) would need to provide or face a breach of contract.

Now, what could be up in the air is the timeline for these updates. If the phone has significant challenges or bugs, then VZW may want updates from HTC sooner rather than later. This timeline may also be under pressure from other devices coming down the market. I assume that VZW has a quality assurance department that would need to verify these devices. Their resources would be finite and could either be spent testing the Samsung Stealth or bug fixes for Tbolt.

All speculation of course.. but an enjoyable mental exercise.
    03-12-2011 10:58 AM
    why does it matter, so many phones get updates after release. just look at my BB storm had 3 official updates, with 1 a week after release. As long as the phone operates and doesnt freeze up I will update it later especially if its 3rd party software like skype. So come vz and htc lets get the phone out now!!!!!
    03-12-2011 01:44 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD